Express Card woes...

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Express Card woes...

Post by dawman »

EricP from Spectrasonics is trying to get these guys to make special adapters for laptops I believe. No word yet, but I used them to attach the Ventillator digitally inyo the Scope Project Window. It works great on the B2003, but using BUS outs from the STM2448, I can switch to any ASIO CHoice I want for the B2003 Leslie EMU and get the Scanner Vibrato which IMHO adds serious flexibility live. Even have the Solaris getting into B2003 input fpor certain sounds...
So look to these guys for wierd PCI-e 1X Adadpters, and HDMI stuff, thjey've got everything else...

http://www.monoprice.com/
garyb

Post by garyb »

who knows? i don't think anyone's tested it.

i'd buy a machine with an expresscard slot. :)
odlumb

Post by odlumb »

Anyone out there tried this product? It's an Express Card to Thunderbolt adaptor:

http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/TH03.html
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

odlumb wrote:Anyone out there tried this product? It's an Express Card to Thunderbolt adaptor:

http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/TH03.html
Haven't tried one of these yet since Scope is not (yet?) running on Macs.
Bu I'm keeping my eye on them (there are others starting to show up on the market).

G
odlumb

Post by odlumb »

Actually, I was thinking of a laptop Windoz PC with a thunderbolt port. They're out there now...
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

That adapter should work fine via Thunderbolt.Uad solos work in it so the xite card should work aswell.
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

from the RME site:
The MADIface works with the Sonnett Echo ExpressCard Adapter on a Thunderbolt port (e. g. Macbook Pro, iMac).

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoe ... rbolt.html

If it's working with the MADIface card it might with xite express card? Although it doesn't mention PC..
Jerome
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Jerome wrote:from the RME site:
The MADIface works with the Sonnett Echo ExpressCard Adapter on a Thunderbolt port (e. g. Macbook Pro, iMac).

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoe ... rbolt.html

If it's working with the MADIface card it might with xite express card? Although it doesn't mention PC..
Jerome
I've been keeping my eye on this one.
Theoretically it should work on a PC - just not sure about it driving enough power for Xite to work.
However, since the TB spec allows for multiple energy-sucking devices such as monitors and harddrives - on one pipe, then it SHOULD work for Xite.

G
garyb

Post by garyb »

the XITE has it's own power... :-?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

garyb wrote:the XITE has it's own power... :-?
The bus needs to be able to drive large bandwidths of simultaneous data.
,it's a computer issue, and not Xite's.

G
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that it does.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

I testend to Run an xite with an thunderbolt to expresscard Adapter (the sonnet One, non pro Version) on a dual i5 Mac Mini.

Works Great- Card should be in and Adapter plugged into Computer on Startup- so far very stabile.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Forgot to mention- the System is win7 Ultm. 64 Bit via bootcamp.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Any idea about the bandwidth you can get ?
What about the masterverb test ?
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Should be fine.Tb is Pci-e x4 and the xite card is Pci-e x1.There isnt really any Bridging going on to throttle Bandwidth.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Masterverb Test???

Is it a usual Praxis? Should i Test how many i can load? I think its difficult if its xited dsp Management or tb bandwith if Limit is exeed...

Allready used serveral instances of masterverb.. Think two masterverb.x One pro and a room 5.1... Also nö Trouble with 16 Asio io... Not the smallest Buffer as i have nö Need for Löw latency.. I can to any Test if somebody suggest what would give a meanfull Result (dont know a better word in english)
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

test is only valid for pci boards as far as i know_

xite is not using host ram for verbs no?

good vibes
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Hi

Dont know if it has anything to say as i dont know if they use onboard RAM or Not, but i get a dsp Limit alert at the 25's instance of masterverb. This was at 96k and without Running any Optimistin. Was able to contiue Loading After switching to 48k but havent tried Out where the Limit is...
odlumb

Post by odlumb »

An update, and a problem, in that order...

The update - after waiting months to purchase the laptop I really wanted (ADK 9000x), I gave up and purchased my second choice. Apparently ADK can't get units from the manufacturer and they had NO idea when they would be able to get them, so I bought a Lenovo W520. After refitting it with 32 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD, I finally have a portable DAW that can drive the XITE-1 via the Express Card slot.

In general I'm satisfied with the compromise. The Lenovo is adequate. It lacks sufficient USB ports (three 2.0 ports, only one of which is high current, and NO 3.0 ports). Nor does it have Thunderbolt. Since the Express Card slot will be occupied with the XITE-1, there in no other USB 3.0 possibility (unless someone can tell me how to use the eSATA port to support USB 3.0). Performance is good. A very unfortunate placement of the Express Card slot, the XITE-1 cable is ALWAYS in the way of the bluetooth mouse (if you don't use a mouse, or if you're left handed, you won't have this problem).

So, after days of configuring everything, installing all my software, tuning the system, etc. the moment finally arrived when I could put it all together and make noise.

The problem - no sound coming through the earphones plugged into the XITE-1, just a high frequency whine.

Let's trace the signal from the origin to discover the problem. Cubase is successfully installed (v6.5.3). It's outputting signal through its internal mixer, connected to the VST Audio System "ASIO SCOPE XITE-1". Cubase audio inputs/outputs are correct and connected.

SCOPE is installed and working (v5.1.2709-x64). Signal from Cubase is arriving via the "ASIO1-32 Source 64" hardware IO, is successfully routed through the mixer (STM 4896) and the level meter of the master fader is showing plenty of signal. The mixer's MxL and MxR outputs are connected to two hardware IO devices, "XITE-1 Phones dest" and "XITE-1 Analog dest". I have also tried just the analog dest IO by itself and setting it to "phones" via right mouse click. That didn't make a difference.

Windows 7 Pro x64 Sound panel shows "Speakers SCOPE XITE-1" as the default device, and there is a blue level meter in the panel associated with that device. However, it is inactive, meaning I see no signal level bouncing up and down on that meter to match the level meter in the SCOPE mixer output. It is NOT muted. Nothing is muted anywhere in the signal chain.

Finally, the earphones plugged into the XITE-1 have been verified as working and the level control for the earphones on front panel of the XITE-1 is set to about 50%.

Where's my signal? Can't hear anything but a whine, which is present even when Cubase isn't playing.

The only thing I see that is a potential break in this signal chain is the fact that the Windows Sound panel is showing no activity in the level meter of the default device (Speakers SCOPE XITE-1).

Unfortunately, at the moment I have no real speakers or other devices to connect to the XITE-1's rear panel to test if any signal is coming through the analog output ports. But before I go rushing off to get some, I wanted to check in with this forum, in case I'm missing something obviously stupid.

I hope I've missed something stupid, because the alternative is that the XITE-1 is defective, and after all I have gone through to get this far (believe me, you don't want to know), ending up with a defective XITE-1 would, well, let's not go there for now...

Suggestions, anyone?