Express Card woes...

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Express Card woes...

Post by garyb »

try using the second XITE "speakers" in windows, for windows sounds.

you have the output going through the headphone destination module in Scope right? post a picture of the routing window.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

odlumb wrote:In general I'm satisfied with the compromise. The Lenovo is adequate. It lacks sufficient USB ports (three 2.0 ports, only one of which is high current, and NO 3.0 ports). Nor does it have Thunderbolt. Since the Express Card slot will be occupied with the XITE-1, there in no other USB 3.0 possibility (unless someone can tell me how to use the eSATA port to support USB 3.0). Performance is good. A very unfortunate placement of the Express Card slot, the XITE-1 cable is ALWAYS in the way of the bluetooth mouse (if you don't use a mouse, or if you're left handed, you won't have this problem).
I had a headphone issue once like you describe...I think I just copied a backup version of the headphone device into the scope directory, and it worked again. Maybe someone else can help more here. A reinstall might be necessary, but don't quote me on that!

I have a Lenovo w520, and there is USB3.0: the two blue ports on the left of the laptop. If you look at the device manager, you'll see a Renesas USB3 ROOTHUB there. Also, there is a 4th USB port, doubled as the eSata port (this is just USB2.0). Just plug your device in there, and it works. It will also provide power to an eSata device, given you buy the right cable and right external hard drive enclosure that both support "power over eSata" (aka eSATAp). Also, the yellow USB port on the back is always on...so you can charge devices when the laptop is off. Just an FYI ;)
odlumb

Post by odlumb »

Wow, thanks everyone! My problem turned out to be (thankfully) my own stupidity. Phantom Power! I didn't have the front panel phantom power button "on".

garyb - thanks for the tips. In the Windows Sound panel, I selected the only XITE-1 speaker choice that had a level meter showing, and by luck that turned out to be the right one. And yes I did have the Hardware IO "XITE-1 Phones dest" hooked up properly, but thanks for mentioning it anyway.

jksuperstar - thanks for informing me about the presence of a USB 3.0 hub in the Lenovo W520. I don't know why I didn't notice the ports were BLUE before, but clearly I goofed. How great, my overall system performance just went up considerably. I knew about the yellow high current "always on" USB port in the back. Wonder how I got that one right and missed the other two? I'm actually using the eSATA port to drive an external drive enclosure that is eSATA ready. Nice.

Maybe it's just my imaginagion, but the sound quality through the XITE-1 (earphones) seems even better that my other (geographically distant) desktop DAW using old Creamware boards. Soooo good...

I still notice that VLC and SCOPE aren't great friends on the XITE-1 platform (just as on the older Creamware platform). Any hints to configuring one (or the other) to improve this relationship?

Thanks again to all for your input.
garyb

Post by garyb »

dunno about VLC. there are a lot of other players. yes, the XITE sounds a lot better than the cards.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

So I have latest mini mac server I plan to install Bootcamp and use a Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter is anybody using this method ??
odlumb

Post by odlumb »

Never tried it 'cause the Echo unit is Mac only and I'm a PC guy. Vaguely remember reading somewhere about two different models of the Echo unit, one that supports PCIe and one that doesn't. You might want to do a bit of research before purchasing. Not positive about this, it's just bouncing around like an echo from the time I was looking into this possibility.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, someone else had said that it did work. this is heresay, of course....
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Hearsay :lol: may bite the bullet on this! if it does not work scope 6 will be my saviour :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

both expresscard and Thunderbolt are PCIe spec, so the idea of it working is not a big stretch.