Xite 1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Xite 1

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Will it be possible to hook 2 x Xite together to increase the ADAT count? - This has probably been asked before.... :roll: so apologies for anybody repeating themselves.
spacef

Re: Xite 1

Post by spacef »

I think there is Z Link options for a16 to connect a second a16 with zlink.
But details will be appreciated (I am not sure Zlink for xite is available but I may be wrong)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
petal

Post by petal »

I don't think it's possible to "hook up" 2 XITE's into one system - Yet! The box itself has been prepared for this, but I believe this feature hasn't been realized as of yet.
garyb

Post by garyb »

correct.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

spacef wrote:I think there is Z Link options for a16 to connect a second a16 with zlink.
But details will be appreciated (I am not sure Zlink for xite is available but I may be wrong)
Yes, there is 2 z-link ports for 16 i/o via A16/Ultra. And they are supported, and work as expected.

Plus, there is 2 adat i/o, for additional 16 i/o.

AES/EBU connector for additional 2 i/o.

Total: 34 digital I/O.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Does Zlink use regular firewire cables or are they special ones ?
Thanks
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Yes, Regular 6-pin firewire cables

(NOT the 4-pin mini-firewire used on camcorders, and NOT the 9-pin used in FW800).
spacef

Post by spacef »

They are not easy to find...
But I found this brand, UNIBRAIN, that makes 6/6 FW cables from 20 cm (3 inche), 50 cm (1.8ft) and up to 10 meters and more.
just ordered a pair of short ones :-)
http://www.unibrain.com/Products/p1394/cables_a.htm
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
fraz

Post by fraz »

Thats extremely good news..... :) .......I didn't realise that on Xite-1 it is possible to connect 2 X A16 Ultra (mk II or otherwise).....but now I do!......more flexibility than initially realised.........which means that it will be possible to use system link via ADAT without losing too many channels of ADAT..... :) so the 32 becomes 24 instead of 16 becoming 8............

Great I'm glad to have asked as I thought prior to this post that there was a 16 ADAT limit......now I know otherwise........great....

I've mis-understood some of my thoughts on this so so of the above is not correct...... :roll:
Last edited by fraz on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Actually I've just checked my A16 Ultra MK II and is doesn't have a Z-link connection on the unit but does have MADI - Is it still possible to somehow connect a second A16 Ultra MK II to Xite-1? not possible to go from a MADI cable to Z-link (6 pin forewire?) doesn't seem likely?

The older A16 Ultra MK I does have Z-link on so this will obviously connect to Xite-1.... :roll: .....phew......so if it isn't possible to connect a 2nd A16 MK II to the Xite-1 at least the base is covered with the older MK 1 A16......
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

For now I'd say your best bet is connect the old A16 ultra via Z-Link, and the A16mkII via ADAT.

The old A16ultra will need to use both Z-Link ports. Each z-link port handles 8 in and 8 outs. So both ports gets you all 16 I/O of only the A16ultra.

The new A16mkII will need to use both ADAT port pairs (4 total) to get all 16 ins and 16 outs to the XITE.

Between the two, you will have 32 ins and 32 outs at 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

Sorry if that's redundant to what you already realized, or maybe it helps you or another reader...
fraz

Post by fraz »

Thanks-I got the Sonic Core A16 mk 1 a while back so will use this-

Actually to elaborate- I got this ages ago but haven't used it yet.... :) ......realised it wouldn't be used for ages too but got it because I would need it in the future-which is now-----so I've had this for 4 years+ and only about to use it. LOL When I read about the MK 2 A16 I thought why didn't I wait??? but now realise its the only way I'm gonna get a 2nd A16 to work with Xite!!!!!! plan is for system link over ADAT or AES/SPDIF - If ADAT is used then I'm gonna need those 16 I/O Z link channels-------.......... :roll:

So I'm very glad I got the older unit------- :P