Xite-1 State of affairs May 16th 2012

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Immanuel

Xite-1 State of affairs May 16th 2012

Post by Immanuel »

Hi there

I'd like to know how the Xite-1 fares today. My main machine has 2 pro cards. In actual use, how does the Xite-1 compare to such a set-up? What are the pros and cons? It is my impression that there will be both, so I'd like a ballanced assesment.

Are there differences in load times? Project loads as well as preset loads.

Is there a real life power difference in terms of stable project sizes?

I've seen reports of 24 tracks of VDAT from the Xite-1. I can do 48 tracks at 32 bit with my cards. If recording i.e. Samplitude (or anything else using ASIO drivers), how many tracks can you run smoothly and comfortably (meaning without fear that you are on the edge)? And if you used a Scope card based system before - how does you ASIO track count with Xite-1 compare to that system?

I see posts about DSP assignment. If you create a project and assign devices to certain DSPs, will Xite-1 remember these assignments next time you load the project (i.e. the start-up project)? If not, how much time do you spend on reassigning a big project?

Which devices work better on Xite-1 than on the cards?

Which devices work better on the cards than on Xite-1?

32 vs 64 bit pros and cons?

How do the mic pre pots feel?

Can the 2 front panel inputs be used at the same time as the 2 rear panel audio inputs?

Can the headphones be used at the same time as the 2 rear panel audio outputs?

I've got a Dell laptop here (not an expensive one). Would you expect the Xite-1 performance to be degraded from using an Express Card interface instead of a PCI-e interface? If yes: In which ways and how much?

Any other thoughts pro/con going from a dual pro cards set-up to an Xite-1?

Thanks in advance for your inputs :-)
Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
dawman

Re: Xite-1 State of affairs May 16th 2012

Post by dawman »

My Projects load fast as I only use optimized devices. STM2448 is the best all around mixer as of now.

Projects can be much larger, especially packing a mixer with effects, and again stock synths and Modular.

I can do 48 tracks but sold my units to avoid being the soundman/keyboardist. Now I can avoid that insane concept. But I had lots of overhead probably due to the PCI-e 1X crs. 32bit PCI. Not sure though.

The STM24448 packed with effects and Modular always remember their assignments. You can even have new projects created and the Modular can remember each assignment independantly of the other. In other words it;s a permanant assignment until you undo or change it.

Large mixers with tons of effects work better for me, and Modular patches seem to be capable of 16 voices, and then a setting of 2 with unison detune for really thicker sounds. But I have since figured out a way to get that sound by creating Detune using Flexor and a Chorus.

Zarg synths work better on the cards as they were designed on those DSPs. But using tons of Reverbs on the XITE-1 is a cinch, even though I find that unnecessary.

x64 rocks if you need sampled instruments hosted.

All ins and outs work simulataneously.

Let Siriusbliss, JKSuperstar, or Garyb answer the laptop stuff, I am clueless on that topic.

Hope I helped.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

There's no difference for express card vs. pcie. Just a different connector really. At least, no bridge is necessary. But you can check your Device Manager in Windows, select to view by connection, and find your expresscard slot..it should be right off the chipset, not thru a pcie to another pcie.

Also, the speed is the same between expresscard vs pcie (1.0 and 2.0 are the same on each, and I suspect the xite is pcie 2.0 (5gb speeds), as i noticed a jump in masterverbs I could host between an old computer with pcie 1.0 and a new one with 2.0.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

XITE-1 is rock solid here in hardware terms.
A number of issues with SCOPE 5.1
I have managed 24 tracks using VDAT, but I was unable to save the project until I disconnected VDat outputs Ch 9 - 24 from from the mxer.
A mnor inconvenience.
I have not pushed it any further.
I note that often there are connection issues, but usually they can be overcome by re-assigning devices to different DSP.
The probelm is that this often crashes Samplitude Pro X (it loses the ASIO connection and locks up) a reboot of SCOPE and SAM is required to get things back.
Of course the samplers are still not working in x64 due to RAM issues. I miss them.
In summary I do not miss the old cards par-se, but if I had that time again I would never have traded them, just moved them to another Machine.
Hold the faith.
maus
dawman

Post by dawman »

I really miss the multiple MIDI I/Os and extra AES/EBU on the cards, but to me the newer converters and sheer amount of effects packed into an optimised mixer are worth all the Tea In China.....
Glad you got one Mausmuso, I was unaware.

Congrats.
dante

Post by dante »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I really miss the multiple MIDI I/Os and extra AES/EBU on the cards.....
Congrats.
Imagine running XITE on a DAW with PCI cards, with the DSP power of XITE and the I/O from the cards being available in the same Scope project space. Thats why I raised the possibility on the ParseQ wishlist.

So the PCI cards become I/O expanders for XITE !

But Id imagine Julian could only do that (simultaneous dual Scope hardware) if OpenScope supported it, since ParseQ would be built on OpenScope.

So Im wondering, in order for OpenScope to support it, would the PCI and XITE need to be wordlocked together ? Or just let them both freewheel and management of phase issues would be up to user setup/source material.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

dante wrote: So Im wondering, in order for OpenScope to support it, would the PCI and XITE need to be wordlocked together ? Or just let them both freewheel and management of phase issues would be up to user setup/source material.
My thought is they would need to clocked together.
I would bet you would finish up clicks and the like otherwise.
It would no different to any digital devices, one would be master and one slave I imagine.
The only way you might be able run them separately is to feed midi from one to other and return the analog signal back via analog inputs. The second you bring in the ADAT/SPDIF/ etc you will need to sync I believe.
maus
dawman

Post by dawman »

I really dont need it live, but for home recordings , etc.
Live I use the mic pres for the EML-101, and the SE-1X.
AES/EBU is for Solaris, The analog I/O for the PCM70, which on the cards wasn't nearly as present as it is in the XITE-1.
MOTU 128 is my latest MIDI kit, and it's software programming tool is excellent.
So every port om the X is used, but 1 more MIDI and AES/EBU, even a Luna card would be great for expansion. I might even buy the Model 7.
So many folks say that it isn;t much better than a software Reverb but I always hear the way hardware wraps around the audio source, and software simply creates tails which I think just muddy up a mix. But hey performing in a giant Arena is a grea psycholgical boost.
I always wanted to pretend I was in an old European Cathedral or the Grand Canyon and have attached pictures for further reinforcement of the psychological experience, but just a perfect sounding Room or Stage is fine by me.
garyb

Post by garyb »

mausmuso wrote:
dante wrote: So Im wondering, in order for OpenScope to support it, would the PCI and XITE need to be wordlocked together ? Or just let them both freewheel and management of phase issues would be up to user setup/source material.
My thought is they would need to clocked together.
I would bet you would finish up clicks and the like otherwise.
It would no different to any digital devices, one would be master and one slave I imagine.
The only way you might be able run them separately is to feed midi from one to other and return the analog signal back via analog inputs. The second you bring in the ADAT/SPDIF/ etc you will need to sync I believe.
maus

yeah, they'd need to be clocked together. that could be via Wordclock, ADAT, SP/DIF or AES/EBU, but it'd have to be done.
dante

Post by dante »

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the verification. Still, an interesting option though.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Thanks for all you inputs guys :)
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
dante

Post by dante »

Congrats on taking the plunge !!! Happy days to follow....let us know when it arrives.