Solaris and the XITE-1 @96k

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Solaris and the XITE-1 @96k

Post by dawman »

I finally decided to use as few Scope synths as possible and try to run the XITE-1 @ 96k.
I had to try a few time but found out by replacing the STW Plate and Ambience, and using the updated DAS 5 Channel, and the SC 5.1 Room, but thankfully can keep Flu-Liq and the STW Chorus Delay as these 2 Modulation effects are of Eventide quality, and at 96k it's even more prevalent.

I bought the cheap ass HOSA ODL-312 which is Toslink to AES/EBU for Solaris so it can not only process at 96k but use audiorate modulations at an extremely high quality.
I you haven't bought a Solaris yet, ...don't. I do not want you anywhere near my stage as the sound of this synth and the XITE-1 @ 96k is the best sounding combo, and most powerful soultion I have used my entire career.
I am the happiest man on Earth.
A new demo must be made as the old demos are of Solaris using the XITE-1 analog I/O's.
Now there is such a difference I could never use Solaris at a gig without the XITE-1.

We really need SC to fix the 96k settings better though. I am maxxed out but thankfully have enough external gear to avoid using all Scope synths. The Modular has a much toighter Bass now and less " smear " as I call it. Truly an excellent decision I made for once. Now to punish the locals and their ticki-ticki-tacki-BOOV_BOOV stuff....
Untitled.png
siriusbliss

Re: Solaris and the XITE-1 @96k

Post by siriusbliss »

Awesome news!
You just keep chuggin' ahead.

Greg
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Thanks for the feedback!! This is valuable information!!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I have some bad news.
96k Projects I created that worked the night before, will not load, so IMHO 96k in the XITE-1 is useless, unless of course you want to use all external synths and effects, then It's really quite workable, but that required me to do most of mixing in Reaper using 18 Stereo channels, that are routed to the STM1632 w/ 3 x external effects.

I then rebuilt and resaved a larger project to 48k and it worked really well. THe difference between 48k and 96k is not that noticable except in Modular. 48k actually helps out the sound quality but Modular in 96k is extremely full and clean w/o the smearing of 44.1k.

So I advise anyone looking for more polish to use 48k. The difference from 96k to 48k is barely noticable, but in my case using Reaper and Kontakt, is cleaner sounding w/ more headroom, but Solaris is why Im even bothering with the torture of making projects where barely any DSP is shown to be used, yet it continues to ask to optimize over and over.

Don't waste your time, but 48k works great and that's what they use w/ SMPTE and FIlm, so that's great.
And SOlaris even at 48k all ITB is really awesome but that device already processes itself at 96k.
I'd love a Scope update to run at 96k just for the sake of such precision devices.

Oh and BTW Alfonsos MoJo at 96k seems to have the tricks of SOlaris. It loads easily and functions really well, especially on the Wurlitzer sampled EPiano Model 200A.......lovely vintage quality w/ tremolo.

So unless it's abuse and torment you seek, stay away from 96k, as this was never really optimized in Scope. My proof is Solaris. It works great in Solaris aand can be heard immediately, but Scope, as Pee Wee Herman would say.....................IAMMMMM SORRRRRREEEEE.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

..in danger of repeating my self...

Thanks for the feedback!! This is valuable information!!
Higen
dawman

Post by dawman »

On my XITE-1 I can do so much and I test and save every step of the way and it works.
But recall is nothing but failure.
But the good news is 48k is noticable, uses more resources, but works 100% and well worth considering.
Especially since we never seem to use 100 % of the DSP's.
Using 48k raises the DSP use up to 70-75% which I haven;t seen before.
But 96k starts whining with a blank STM2448........
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

I have always used 48k works flawless :)
Higen
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:On my XITE-1 I can do so much and I test and save every step of the way and it works.
But recall is nothing but failure.
But the good news is 48k is noticable, uses more resources, but works 100% and well worth considering.
Especially since we never seem to use 100 % of the DSP's.
Using 48k raises the DSP use up to 70-75% which I haven;t seen before.
But 96k starts whining with a blank STM2448........
I guess we should gently remind the SC gang that there is still a recall failure issue, eh?

I've worked in 48K for many years now, and am always happy with the results.
Have been holding off on 96K until the day I'm recording more acoustic instruments.
Otherwise I can see how modular alone could justify working in 96.

Good information nonetheless!

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's Solaris @48k though, via AES/EBU so I am staying with this as the sound is beautiful.
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/solaris-aes-ebu
Last edited by dawman on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

I have a 96Khz project on the XITE-1D that I use for recording live tracks (vocals through the RODE, guitars thru preamp etc).

That way the performance is captured at 96Khz thru the XITE converters.

I then load a 48Khz Scope project and downsize a copy of the Cubase project to 48Khz and mix/master that.

Hard drive space is cheap and in future, when I have enough power to mix and master in 96Khz, I will have the original performances there in 96Khz to mix with.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I also have figured out a way to record at 96k.
It's just a much reduced Project Window, but I can use all external synths, and a few effects with the STM1632.
So there's always a cool work around, but I haven't seen other apps suffer so badly when trying the higher fidelity.
I would love a Ferrofish and Scope Projects @ 96k Live, but not until after they get Scope 6/Open Scope thing up and running.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I you haven't bought a Solaris yet, ...don't. I do not want you anywhere near my stage as the sound of this synth and the XITE-1 @ 96k is the best sounding combo, and most powerful soultion I have used my entire career.
Wait !
I´ll be the next !!!

Actually I´m waiting for arrival of my Xite-1and hope it comes tomorrow, saturday or monday latest.
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I am the happiest man on Earth.
Well, I´m the 2nd happiest because I couldn´t believe I´m able to afford Xite-1 soon, but it happened.

Now I imagine selling 90% of my hardware in the huge racks and buying Solaris soon too :-)

Listened to your latest Solaris/Xite example below,- sounds killer as always and thx for sharing !

O.T.:

Up to now no chance to find a EES ProconX for you,- they are too rare even here in germany

Bud
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Here's Solaris @48k though, via AES/EBU so I am staying with this as the sound is beautiful.
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/solaris-aes-ebu
Yes, I've recorded real-time during a concert, while performing onstage - direct off FOH mixer via AES/EBU - and the results were 'pristine'.
I had VERY clean material to work with in final mix.

How elegant it was to drive my amp, ModIV, Atze, P5 synths from guitar, WHILE recording, and WHILE simultaneously mixing the 20 performers on-stage - all using just Xite. Pretty awesome.

Greg
dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolness....And BudW. The Privia PX3S is doing fine for now, but I am getting a custom MIDI Bank/Prgm changer with USB and MIDI In/Out for 60 bucks.
I just can.t see the buttons of the Privia or SOlaris in the dark so this backlit device will be perfect.

Great to hear you are getting the XBox.
Since you are in Deutschland, it;s good to hear you are getting a Solaris.

I never want to run across an XITE-1 and Solaris using a laptop at one of my gigs.
Then it would be a fair battle, and I like having the extra chops, and sounds.
Well I'm from a Vegas.....we prefer a stacked deck... :D

I just remade my 48k project and have Flu-Liq ( heavy) STW CHorus-Celay ( Heavy ) Celmos Vintage and 5.1 Room/DAS 5.1 in the window.
I then took the Modulars and B2003 and assigned those and the effects on the 13-18 DSP chips.
THis leaves me with the STM 2448 and multitudes of internal effects such as FAT-S II to give some extra oomph to the Native samples, and whatever else I think I need.

Funny thing though, as the khz go up I find I like less effects and prefer things dryer then 44.1.
The difference I am hearing with Solaris is very noticable, so no more analog I/O for him.
The HOSA ODL-312 with 2 x Toslink and 2 x AES/EBU was around 115 USD and worth every penny.

Let Us Know when the XBox shows up.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Coolness....And BudW.

Great to hear you are getting the XBox.
Since you are in Deutschland, it;s good to hear you are getting a Solaris.
Solaris will need some time and patience,- have to sell more old gear 1st,- not the easiest task today.
Musikmesse is coming and we´ll see if there are updates and improvements because I´d need the 4x MIDI multi mode.
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I never want to run across an XITE-1 and Solaris using a laptop at one of my gigs.
Then it would be a fair battle, and I like having the extra chops, and sounds.
Well I'm from a Vegas.....we prefer a stacked deck... :D
:D
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: Let Us Know when the XBox shows up.
Well, it should show up today !
I followed the tracking and it says "delivered" but it´s not here and there´s NO notification in my postbox !!!
I went crazy this (friday) afternoon, tried to call the shop but it was already closed at 2:00 p.m., so I´ve sent a email and because it´s weekend I´m perplexed now.
No neighbor came w/ a parcel and I have a lot of these "friendly" families around not liking a long haired old rocker producing noises during nite too much,- you know.
I hate that !
The last delivery I got was a MIDI controller box and it was in a cold and wet garage of a neighbor who "forgot" the parcel,- so I needed 3 days to find out.
These delivery services are the most stupid idiots nowadays,- they give the stuff to almost anyone they meet in front of your house, just only to get rid of the task quickly,- and forget to put a note in your postbox.

Now I´m typing the rant here instead playing w/ the X-box,- sorry for that !

:evil:

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Arrived !
Today on a sunday ...
A neighbor had it since friday morning and didn´t leave a note as also there was no note from the carrier in my postbox.
3 days of panic search.

I unpacked already,- and looking at built quality, this is a piece of beauty and solid handcraft.
No content missing, it´s all in the box and all was very well packed, so it shipped save.

Reading installation manual now and I expect I have to make some changes to my DAW machine before it´s ready for the Xite-1 and I´m able to check all the functionality testing the hardware connections.

I´ll be out tomorrow (monday),- so it can be I come up w/ some questions here on tuesday/wednesday.

I already registered my Xite-1 and I´m happy to be in the club now (even I have my 15DSP card since some time too).

Bud
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

glad to see we finally have the same standard in europ_
dhl vibes??
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote:
Arrived !
Today on a sunday ...
A neighbor had it since friday morning and didn´t leave a note as also there was no note from the carrier in my postbox.
3 days of panic search.
Bud
LOL ! I thought waiting 6 weeks was bad but having it snaffled by a neighbour - LOL !

Anyway glad you got it - congrats - look fwd to some further news integrating w/ all you other gear.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I thought I'd give 96kHz a go for kicks. Well it just doesn't work.

A project with STM4896, 48 ASIO sources and that's it - I get the DSP maxed out error immediately. Forget trying to load Minimax. I tried Minimax - DSP error - no sound. Clicked "Yes" to try optimising. Tried assigning it its own DSP. Nothing happening. I deleted from the project and tried loading Vectron instead. This just crashed Scope completely and it closed down (leaving Cubase a little bit confused).

Oh well, back to 44.1...
dante

Post by dante »

Mr Arkadin wrote:I thought I'd give 96kHz a go for kicks. Well it just doesn't work.

A project with STM4896, 48 ASIO sources and that's it - I get the DSP maxed out error immediately. Forget trying to load Minimax. I tried Minimax - DSP error - no sound. Clicked "Yes" to try optimising. Tried assigning it its own DSP. Nothing happening. I deleted from the project and tried loading Vectron instead. This just crashed Scope completely and it closed down (leaving Cubase a little bit confused).

Oh well, back to 44.1...
I'm suprised. Maybe you should try a smaller mixer ? I got the DAS ScopeRise mixer, MasterIT and Brickmaster running on the smaller XITE-1D @96 with some (small) headroom left :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_09/xit_mast.htm

Failing that, at least go to 48K.....