Solaris and the XITE-1 @96k

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Solaris and the XITE-1 @96k

Post by dawman »

Here's my maximum and it actually covers my recording needs, as the ASIO signals are actually 12 Buss Stereo sent to Micro Mixer to Monitor ( w/o FX ), then recorded back into Reaper using 48bit Integer. Their 48bit Integer is on par w/ the VDAT 32bit Integer, same polished sound.
So I can record everything that really needs 96k like the SE-1X, and especially Solaris.
I can always add the B2003/Modular/Vectron stuff later.
Then mixdown @ 48k because it does sound more precise to me than 44.1k, and that's where I can really use all of the ASIO Channels.
Otherwise, even though the DSP doesn't show it's full, it has the error message after 24 ASIO Duplexed.

This does sound markedly better though and I will shall make a full on project with ticki-ticki-BOOV_BOOV stuff as I have been having fun lately copping the awesome productions of Big Red using Logic onlyu. Incredible stuff.
The first modern producer that actually keeps me interested. The guy has so many surprises, and Lady GaGa can actually really sing, even though her pop stuff doesn't really show it. We heard her warm ups at CES 2010 in the dressing room area and she actually does solfeggio and scales, breathing, then soulful stuff, and after all that she sings the simp;listic Pop...go figure.

Here's the Specs and PWindow. Notice Reapers latency............. :o
Untitled.png
tonatona

Post by tonatona »

Hi,

in my opinion the modular benefits a lot from 96KHz. I've invested a lot of time today with 96KHz on my Xite-1. No chance. 30-40% dsp load and "No dsp placement found!".

Is this issue not remediable, or is it possible to improve the 96 KHz behavior with a bugfix?

Is it possible to find out whether such improvements are considered in Scope 6?
garyb

Post by garyb »

there are more factors besides dsp load alone, to how much can be loaded. 30-40% on an XITE-1 is comparable to almost three 15dsp cards.

yes, performance should be improved by v6. there is a constant movement towards optimization.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

tonatona wrote:Hi,

in my opinion the modular benefits a lot from 96KHz. I've invested a lot of time today with 96KHz on my Xite-1. No chance. 30-40% dsp load and "No dsp placement found!".

Is this issue not remediable, or is it possible to improve the 96 KHz behavior with a bugfix?

Is it possible to find out whether such improvements are considered in Scope 6?

Are you trying to gather more info to further bash and continue your silly crusade against SCOPE? Are'nt you the same Tonatona from Gearslutz who had only 6 posts in your more than one year membership and all where in SCOPE threads either gathering info in one or pointing out flaws and bashing in another? I stated on Gearslutz more optimizations for XITE-1 were coming so what is it you exactly want here? Is'nt this you in this thread starting at post number 38 here - http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product- ... sed-2.html

PS. A thread you even revived after about a month to continue bashing. Every post i ever read of yours including this one is either gathering info about SCOPE or bashing SCOPE.

EDITED
tonatona

Post by tonatona »

Yes i called scope users "communists" because of the "revolution day" and because the developers want to make giant steps (open scope) before making normal and advertised things (96KHz) function like communistic countries wanted to fly to the moon without feeding their people. (Never meant scope will vanish like many communistic countries by the way,)
The 96KHz issue prevented me to go deeper into scope. Made some nice sound in modular and BOOM, struggling with errors before i even could record the sound. I thought i did something wrong in scope. Today i made adjustments in BIOS and OS for better audio performance and changed pci-e slots, read the threads here and had to realize that i only can use 30-40% of the Xite-1, just a mixer, an EQ and a poor-spirited Modular patch.
My Xite-1 is for sell now.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that would be quite a bit less than 30-40% of an XITE-1. :roll:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

tonatona wrote: Yes i called scope users "communists" because of the "revolution day" and because the developers want to make giant steps (open scope) before making normal and advertised things (96KHz) function like communistic countries wanted to fly to the moon without feeding their people. (Never meant scope will vanish like many communistic countries by the way,)

That was not the context you used the term "commuist" in. And your first post in that thread is a improper and offensive way of entering a discussion, it was soon followed by your laundry-list of complaints and every known flaw that XITE-1 has (with some exaggerations, lies by ommission and falsehoods ofcourse).

tonatona wrote: The 96KHz issue prevented me to go deeper into scope. Made some nice sound in modular and BOOM, struggling with errors before i even could record the sound. I thought i did something wrong in scope. Today i made adjustments in BIOS and OS for better audio performance and changed pci-e slots, read the threads here and had to realize that i only can use 30-40% of the Xite-1, just a mixer, an EQ and a poor-spirited Modular patch.
Why would you be so surprised about 96khz problems today when you commented on it long ago at Gearslutz? Why would you have "thought you did something wrong"? For the record, i work at 96khz and load way more then what you mentioned.

tonatona wrote: read the threads here

Comming here, naturally, i gathered thats how you got most your info when you came with your laundry-list of flaws (such as the Bowen synths problem, etc). Your whole determination on Gearslutz was to point out everything that exists that's wrong with XITE-1, you even complained about things you truly knew nothing about and some complaints that made little sense, but all your posts were simply to paint as negative of a picture of SCOPE as possible. You just threw a bunch of spaghetti on the wall hoping that something sticks with the readers. It was'nt about personal experience just pointing out every flaw you ever read about and could think of (or that wich you could make appear be a flaw). Your very first post in that thread revealed you were trolling (you know it that's why you just tried to address the "communist" comment here) and every post afterward showed a pattern of trolling.

tonatona wrote: My Xite-1 is for sell now.
Do you even have a XITE-1? Would be nice if you post a project picture. But even if this is true (Even competitors sometimes own the products of oppossitions) you should've had your XITE-1 for sale long ago considering how bitter and disappointed you were a awhile back with countless things about SCOPE. Why did you hold on to it this long? Considering some of your complaints such as workflow and slow development- why did you even buy it?
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

garyb wrote:that would be quite a bit less than 30-40% of an XITE-1. :roll:

Yea, it's strange someone so knowledgeable about XITE-1 and who has one does'nt seem to know what load is about 30-40% .
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

tonatona wrote: My Xite-1 is for sell now.
Then why are you here asking about SCOPE 6 bug fixes?
dawman

Post by dawman »

He will post a jpeg in the purchasing thread as YayaJohn is ready to buy.
96k does need some loving though, but the difference I hear from 96k to 48k isn;t very noticable with Solaris, but the 44.1k to 48k SP/DIF to AES/EBU is very noticable and caused me to run all of my projects to 48k.
With the exception of my Video Tutorials which make the Voice munchkinize.
Can't blame the guy, but one mans loss is another mans win.
Seems like Yayajohn has scored a great deal.
Personally, I'd beaver him down to the Blue Book Value of 2675 USD........
YYJohn will surely enjoy the unit, unless of course it's another owner of an XITE-1 and other expensive gear that can;t afford a camera.....

Cheers.
tonatona

Post by tonatona »

garyb wrote:that would be quite a bit less than 30-40% of an XITE-1. :roll:
I forgot 2 mono Wolf free EQ instances for room correction (desk and room mode) and of course the ADAT Dest and the Mixer. The errors concerned too big modular although the modular was smaller than any stock modular patch. I could load 22 MasterVerb Pro instances in the empty scope.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, the Wolf free eqs were made bfore the XITEs. they may not load properly or they may need to be manually assigned to a dsp. were there any 3rd party modules used?
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:... then recorded back into Reaper using 48bit Integer. Their 48bit Integer is on par w/ the VDAT 32bit Integer, same polished sound.

I cant seem to find 48 bit recording in Reaper, where did you set that at? :-?
tonatona

Post by tonatona »

garyb wrote:well, the Wolf free eqs were made bfore the XITEs. they may not load properly or they may need to be manually assigned to a dsp. were there any 3rd party modules used?
This issue is regardless of the EQ i use. Just put one modular patch into the empty routing window and game over:

dawman

Post by dawman »

It's not really in the recording options but rather internal mixing. But recording using 96k or even 48k, and using Reapers internal routing/mixing is where I use it, then spit it back out as 24bit WAVE PCM.
Go to Project Settings/Advanced/ 64bit Float ( default ) drop down and select the 39bit Integer.
The developer claims that it is 48bit Integer but has a scientific reason that 39bit Integer must be used for the sake of accuracy.
Try 12bit Integer on a bass synth and drum mix, it's pretty gritty, and can really be cool just having different bit depths for seperate tracks. So pretty interesting results.
Untitled.png
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Cool, thanks.
garyb

Post by garyb »

tonatona wrote:
garyb wrote:well, the Wolf free eqs were made bfore the XITEs. they may not load properly or they may need to be manually assigned to a dsp. were there any 3rd party modules used?
This issue is regardless of the EQ i use. Just put one modular patch into the empty routing window and game over:

sure, that message just means that the stuff loaded needs to be reorganized. if you loaded the modular shell and then locked the mdular to another dsp manually, you'd have much better luck. otherwise, choose to optimize and then Scope will reshuffle the dsps to find a better load order. it may take a try or two.
dawman

Post by dawman »

TonaTona, seems to late to change your mind, but in 96k nothing big works except the 2448
But what I see is a patch that is using the old 6 DSP's....
Try loading the patch taking the voices down to a 1 voice, then assign it to DSP 7.
Immediately after that go back to the optimzations and hit clear. now add 1 voice as a time and see how it goes.
I find that smaller, specific patches work better, and I agee at 96k the waveforms dont smear at all and sound really good, but very impractical since they are unoptimized still.
Perhaps you can design something in 96k that might suit your needs using multiple Patches but even then anything Flexor is always a 50/50 chance os causing an overload.

Too bad that you must unlaod the Xite-1, in 48k the performace is excellent and the differnece is sound is not that noticable. I run Solaris at 48k as I hear little difference, but the b2003s Leslie really comes to life and the drawbars have more presence so there are benefits.

I also have the very first XITE-1 exe that allowed me much more loads but then VDAT didn;t work. But your more than welcome to try the other 6 exe's I have and maybe you might find one that is better for 96k....

PM Me if you want.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oh Yish I have a method that you can have an instance of Reaper as a Template, no need to change any synths or sampled content. Then use another instance as aportable install and use LoppBe 1. In this wat the numbers you see in mjy Toolbars are strictly for calling uo other projects at random w/;o the template needing to reload. My tempolate even with SSDs and 24GBs of RAM takes minutes. I usually go order and beer and check out the trim, then 5 or 6 mintues later return and do a soundchaeck....
I have a Master Slave poject pair I can send you to check out, just ignore the Expert Sleeper plugs unkless you have hardwae analog synths, than you can watch them do trick never beofre used until the mid 90's....
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Oh Yish I have a method that you can have an instance of Reaper as a Template, no need to change any synths or sampled content. Then use another instance as aportable install and use LoppBe 1. In this wat the numbers you see in mjy Toolbars are strictly for calling uo other projects at random w/;o the template needing to reload. My tempolate even with SSDs and 24GBs of RAM takes minutes. I usually go order and beer and check out the trim, then 5 or 6 mintues later return and do a soundchaeck....
I have a Master Slave poject pair I can send you to check out, just ignore the Expert Sleeper plugs unkless you have hardwae analog synths, than you can watch them do trick never beofre used until the mid 90's....

Hi Jim,

How many Jagermeister's did you have when you posted this, LOL :)

Anyway, am interested to know what trick that is that you mention not been used before since the mid 90's.

Cheers. :)

t_t