verb error jpg

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Re: verb error jpg

Post by JoPo »

Do you mean you load Scope always with empty mixer and then load your mixer preset ? So you save your project after taking off all the fx in the mixer or with an empty fx mixer preset ?
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Post by dawman »

I start by loading empty mixer, and after all the efffects and project has been made I save it.
MIDI modules and Routing modules take little power, so I go for the biggest DSP monsters first.
Actually the STW effects seem to need more DSP than the entire STM 2448.
But I have many effects loaded and then the 3 x External STW's so I have access to all of my favorites and never run into trouble......

When I recall the project it loads normally ( slow ) but never needs to be adjusted, and never see errors.
I cannot be bothered with those types of issues during a gig, this is why I use the XITE-1.
100% stability even though it seems I never use the entire DSP it can accept.

Similar with my PCs. I use half of the 24GB RAM ( 12GB ) for Kontakt, 30-40% of the CPU power, and this way everything is stable.
We must remember that Windows and OSX are not audio OS's and we are lucky to get things to work, so when you have an XITE-1 added to Native DAW's etc. It really is adding stability to system.

If I had to use an all Native rig I would be nervous and miserable, this I am sure of, as many friends do this and really look silly during a gig playing on their QWERTY.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks for the tip, jim ! I gonna try this... Next week-end...

And no dsp assignment needed for the STM 2448, right ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

No need to do anything other than load it, then the STW's, then back to the mixer for additional plugs.
And everytime you load something just monitor the DSP meter and see where the resources are being used...
It's really weird though the way the XITE-1 has been updated.
I could load dozens of the STW effects when I had the JimmyV. exe back in May 2009.
Somewhere along the line this changed.
Now I am limited as to how many I can use, but I only need 2 x verbs, the Chorus Delay is spectacular, and then Flu-Liq for the really cool Trippy Modulations.
Just those 4 x effects I mention above can use 4 DSP chips..... :o
But their quality is so good that I replaced my hardware with them.
Besides I checked ebay and Lexicon PCM70 w/ latest revision is going for 650 USD, the PCM91 is selling used for 800 USD.
In case I get in a pinch for cash, I have lots of old hardware to sell.
Some junky old Analog synth I bought at a Garage sale for 200 USD will fetch 18-2000 USD. There is an EML-101 in really bad shape compared to mine, it uses fake new knobs, has been touched up with veneer, etc.
The guy seems to think he can get 5 large. I guess he found the bag of Peyote I dropped last summer...
katano

Post by katano »

JoPo

Do you have the SC Plate X loaded as an insert in a STM Mixer? If so, get rid of it and use it outside the STM. Had similar issues with large devices, especially reverbs/plates. The given workaround worked well for me...

Cheers
Roman
garyb

Post by garyb »

reverbs usually don't need to be in inserts anyway.
katano

Post by katano »

sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the AUX inserts of course, there you have the possibility to load the plate inside the STM or use the External button to route it outside the mixer... this is common, isn't it?
Attachments
AUX-Panel.jpg
AUX-Panel.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's right, it's not a disadvantage to have the auxes routed externally.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Whats grand about that is you can really get tricky in the Channels by returning them there.
Try different EQ's or the stock EQ, try adding a Delay with tail degradation like Celmos Vintage, use Optimaster, PsyQ, it's really a great way to experiemnet.
I ended up a stereo spreader in insert 1, then a delay, than the SSB Modulator and the 4th insert PsyQ.
I can click them off or on in realtime or adjust their parameters on the fly like adding garble with the SSB, or extended Delay line feeeback....
After 9000+ gigs I still go to work and have fun knowing I can be different with my sound since I have to play the same crap everynight.
Everynight we get heckled by morons yelling ridiculous requests.
When I decide I no longer want to play anymore I will take a paintball gun to the gig and shoot anyone who who heckles the band. White will be for the most annoying violators, then lesser pronounced colors...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

The reverb is outside. I don't have much trouble with STW verbs, I just try to know why sometimes I get error message (which disappears by assigning it to a dsp) and if they need a dsp allocation.

I like the STM mixer. The only bad thing is the aux. which are mono. If you want a stereo aux, you need to use two of them, so there is only 3 stereo aux. And you cannot assign same CC controler to the both aux send knob (left & right) or you'll need something like Spacef CC5 for each channel / aux you want to automate (not sure about this last word...) ; at the end, the project window is full of CC5 !
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

You can enable the direct outs on the STM mixers, then add a second simple mixer on those outs to do more AUX channels. These direct outs will be post-EQ, but pre-fader.

I like the STM2448 and 4896, but I really don't like the way the 8 buses work...you can only select one bus (or master) at a time. I'm not a fan of only mono aux sends either.

You can also see if spacef is selling his modular mixer...even if you don't use all of it, you can make use of components. I have used a STM2448-X with a Spacef 247 router on the direct outs, adding 7 Stereo AUXs to my mix :) I then feed those back into the mixer so effects can be chained, feedback loops created, etc.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

This post is very handy!! The tricks with direct outs is just what i need!!!! I guess i need to use the stock mixer components
Btw! The differense between 2448 and 4896 is amount of inputs? Both works stable and good?

Spacef: if you read this, how is it going regarding opening your shop again?
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
garyb

Post by garyb »

do stereo auxes really lead to a better production?

i'm guessing that the additional phase issues are not really that helpful.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think it depends on the sources...if I was working with mics, guitars, bass, etc, mono is most likely better.

Forcing mono on stereo sources though, could cause phase issues when the L/R are combined, or the feel of an instrument can be lost (like an organ w/ rotary already on it).

I think in most post-production situations, many of these things would be typically done on a bus. But if you were to use the mixing board AS an instrument, or as a a way to route effects into each other...having pre-fader auxes in stereo helps as much as having mono.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

i have now connected up everything so i have
16 channels from my logic going into scope, together with channels for the different hardware synths (total of 32 channels going into the scope).

i must say that i would love to mix in mono.. but i need to learn a thing or two on how to do it properly.. since i am so used to let everything be in stereo.. except the times i record vocals!. well.. actually i am more used to crank up all the volumes in logic. and slap a limiter plugin at the end.. which i have now experienced is like.. rap#$"ing the track basically..

So.. any good tutorial on how to connect stuff. how to bring the mono channels into stereo.. maybe some good practice on how to maybe recorde synths.. a lot of synths are in mono.. but with stereo effects.. and some synths (like my blofeld) can do true stereo.. whats best way to deal with that stuff...

great topic!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
garyb

Post by garyb »

mono auxes don't force mono on the original source. mono auxes do not close down an overall stereo image of a source, if you're talking about the normal things which go through an aux, like a verb or delay. there are cases when you want seperate, different delays right and left, that a stereo aux might be very useful, but unless you want a mess that has no point of veiw for the listener, you wouldn't need that many and there is a stereo aux in the form of the monitor out. if you're going to have a phase issue when combining a stereo signal into a mono aux, it's going to be even worse when you add a stereo reverb to the stew.

in general one needs to beware of too many stereo sources in a mix. you want the final mix to be stereo, which is a simulation of what a single listener experiences with two ears in a single room or other similar environment, not a collection of different rooms. again, that said, whatever works best for the particular production is what IS best.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I love the sound I get from using Jah Servants M2S and 4M2S devices, as I can add sample delay and create the stereo field I want.
I could also use the Phase switch on the channel but it's not needed.
FWIW the Rotary effect should be 2 x mono channels. Bass baffle and high end horn with a Crossover Frequency of around 800. But as an inserted stereo effect I would place it pre Stereo Expander plug and get really wide.
But I am an X Hammond Player always lokking for purity, which I get close too, but not 100%.
BUt nobody I ever play 4 knows the difference.