XITE / ExpressCard Cable with 90degree (Right Angle) Bend

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

jksuperstar

XITE / ExpressCard Cable with 90degree (Right Angle) Bend

Post by jksuperstar »

I'm looking for a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable for my XITE-1 / ExpresssCard connection. The cable included works just fine, but there is a large ferrite filter on it near the expresscard side, and the cable is straight and very thick (high quality). Those combined means:
- The cable has a large amount of weight with no cable relief
- I'm worried about stress on the expresscard connector
- the large weight/offset and the minimal cable locking mechanism that is inherent to mini-HDMI means I have had the occasional SCOPE disconnect during use. (unfortunately, my laptop's expresscard socket is at the front-right of the laptop...exact mouse position blocking for a right-handed person!!)

So I'd like to preserve the expresscard's life and prevent the possibility of disconnects.

Ideally, I'd like to find a cable that has a right angle (90 degree bend) to the SIDE (not up/down). I have not had any luck finding them. My idea is to have the cable come off to the side, then use a velcro strap to the laptop as a cable relief. I might have to just get a straight cable without ferrite filter (or have/add a filter at the XITE end), and add the relief anyway.

Anybody else see this as a "problem", and how do you deal with it?
w_ellis

Re: XITE / ExpressCard Cable with 90degree (Right Angle) Ben

Post by w_ellis »

Hi,

You could contact S|C and ask them if they have any DVI versions of the PCI-e card left. My Xite-1 came with one, so I run a standard DVI-> HDMI cable from the card to the unit. DVI's a much safer connection to the PC.

Thanks,
Will
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

That's a good idea, but I'm working not with a desktop PC, but a laptop. The expresscard interface is 1/2 the size of a credit card, and twice as thick. It uses Mini-HDMI, similar to HDMI but smaller with a small locking mechanism built in.

http://www.sonic-core.net/shop/product_ ... ITE-1.html

w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Yes, I'm officially an idiot! Somehow managed to completely overlook your many mentions of laptop and expresscard! I found one cable that swivels in all directions, but unfortunately on the big hdmi end, which would also be of no use to you.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

FOUND!

dealextreme.com (chinese exporter of generally cheap electro-crap).

My expresscard is on the right side of my laptop, and this cable has the correct right-angle so the cable immediately bends toward the rear of my laptop, out of the way of my right hand and mouse! Also safer for use in rack/laptop combo cases, or laptops that are mounted on sliding drawers inside racks. It's 150cm (~5ft), uncoiled I gather (I just ordered one, but haven't received to review it yet).
http://dx.com/p/cy-hd-108-mini-hdmi-ang ... 0cm-181082

dante

Post by dante »

cool - will add to troubleshooting guide. thanks
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

It took a few months to get here. And in true Chinese fashion, the photo does not match the product. They right-left reversed the mini-HDMI end, so the connector comes out TOWARD me, instead of to the back of the laptop, as the connector in the photo would indicate. (I can even read the HDMI on the large connector, so I know it's not just a flip of the photo.)

On top of that, the cable doesn't make as solid a connection, and I can loose the XITE randomly at times.

Which reminds me of how annoying many of the SCOPE pop-up warnings are. They are still designed for a desktop machine, with cards built-in. A slight disconnection of the expresscard, and I get a slew of 12 pop ups warning me against violating scope copy protection, DSP sat warnings, and not connecting to the XITE. Its really annoying, and it'd be nice if there was a graceful way for the XITE to reconnect to the laptop, reload (if necessary), and resume work flow. Not the top of my request list, but a grip when you fight through a shit ton of pop-ups instead of getting back to work!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

New and improved! A whole website dedicated to angled cables.

http://www.angledcables.com/

For my XITE/Laptop, a left-angled miniHDMI - HDMI cable is the winner.