Power of the Xite-1D

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

AlexRE

Power of the Xite-1D

Post by AlexRE »

Hallo
I'm thinking of buying an Xite-1D for my Synth and Mixing needs. I mainly want to use Modular and some Synths like ProWave, Minimax or Prodessy. Would the Xite-1D be enough to run a big Modular Patch and Minimax or other Synths at the same time? I could record everything first and use the DSPs for Mixing later.
I also considered the Nord Modular but Scope seams way more powerful to me. Also thought about building a Eurorack Modular, but I think going digital is way more flexible. So would the Xite1D be enough or should I rather save up for an Xite1
Thank you, this seams to be a great community^^
Alex
garyb

Re: Power of the Xite-1D

Post by garyb »

yes, it probably is. the D is a little more than 2 of the old 15dsp cards.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

A digital modular setup is way more flexible. But in many cases an analog modular will sound better in my opinion. Mainly filters and osc at low freq sound better in the analog world - and for me it's alot more fun to have the ability to tweak as you go.
That being said, you have so many modules in the. Modular (and third party modules) that would be impossible to have in the real world, and you get alot more for your money, posibility wise, with the digital solution.
The ideal solution for me: analog synths and digital for mixing.
Just my thoughts:)
AlexRE

Post by AlexRE »

Thanks for the fast replies.
As far as Analog VS Digital goes, I already have a KORG Radias, my first Hardware VA-Synth and I although it has a very beefy low end, especially the Filters lack the FAT sound of the new Moogs or Prophets. I thought about combining Modular with a Ebbe&Flut down the road and maybe another analog synth for bass parts. I'm also hoping to get a Serge Modular Systems someday, so I could use SC Modular for my traditional Modular needs.
I love to experiment with sounds and Modular seams to be the best sounding and most intuitive solution I have encountered.
Only Problem beeing the Xite /Xite-D decision and you could get many devices like Zarg and Felxor3 for the price difference.
I think I'll have to make the decision soon or I'll go mad. ^^
garyb

Post by garyb »

the xite is a no brainer, imo.
there's nothing else comparable in the same power/price/usefullness category.

then again, i'm with S|C, although the reason i'm with S|C is the above sentence....
xite knight

Post by xite knight »

if you haven't touched modular setups before, Scope is a great way to learn about the individual module types so that you can prioritize all your future shopping in the expensive land of analog modular, Serge, Schippman etc. Keep in mind that you will probably need some AD converters if you want to add and process external analog sound sources in your Scope mix - Xite-1 comes with a few more AD's than the Xite-d.
Cheers
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Like stated already 'the XITE-1D should be enough power', BUT SCOPE is a Platform that leads to dsp addiction. A XITE-1D when running the synths you mentioned and mixing power can be used up easily depending on what your doing. I think the larger XITE-1 is a better investment and gives you more future-proof. You also get some nice Mic Pres included for a better portable all-in-one-solution. The XITE-1 will put most people in a safe spot because it's alot of power to begin with and it's unlikely it won't be enough, where it's a bit harder to say with the XITE-1D.

SCOPE's Modular 4 is the best. Clean sound but also with personality, and highly flexible plus runs on dedicated Realtime dsp's for the upmost in performance.

Minimax, Prophet 5, etc have not been fully optimized for the new XITE architecture thus using large numbers of voices eats up more power then it should. The John Bowen Synths are usable but most problematic compared to others and in some senarios not usable. We're waiting for SDK 5 to be released for more optimized plugins and fixes but SCOPE has MORE then enough to keep you busy for now and until the new SDK is released.

The XITE-1D should be enough power but the XITE-1 i'm sure is more then enough and better for meeting future needs. I'm sure many of the next generation of SCOPE Plugins will be hungrier aswell. I also just think the larger XITE-1 is a better value for money then the XITE-1D, not saying the XITE-1D is'nt a great value for dollars spent package cause it is, just saying the Larger XITE-1 is much better.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The newest discovery for me is using audio instead of MIDI for Modular. The portamento, filter sweeps, Waldorf Osc modulations and everything are very nice, much better than MIDI. S|C Modules can accept CV instead of MIDI which is semi-rare from what I am reading. I will be getting an ADAT modded converter back very soon where I can also have external analog synths like the SE-1's and EML-101 controlled by CV.

Also 3rd party synths have issues with polyphony. Nobody can give a straight answer on this.
On one hand, you can load up several, but the polyphony I require cannot be achieved.
You'll be limited according to complexity of the patch, which means 4 voices most of the time.
But on the cards I could never load several of them so this might be a bonus for some.

If you get an XITE-1 the Mic DI's and Analog I/O's are excellent. I run an Analog synth directly into the XITE-1 and hear no difference between using the A16U or the direct analog I/O's.
I can run an entire band and send groups to the FOH and Monitoring systems all while mixing 48 channels live, and recording too. It's a remakable machine.
Best suited for Modular heaven and live performance.