Mic Pre Automation

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Mic Pre Automation

Post by dawman »

I was hoping there might be a way to control the XITE-1's MicPre's via MIDI in the future.
I am starting to really like the built in MicPre's because even on my sons cheezy Marshall mic the sound and especially the silence is really of a good quality.
I have been recording lately instead of just using the MicPre's live, and they really sound nice.
I can actually hear the difference between the BETA 58's and the Marshall mic instantly.
Thats a good sign of a decent mic pre.
But having access to a mic pres settings from my KS88 during a recording or gig would be sweet.
Is this even possible...?
I know Behringer BCF's and BCR's have great capabilites at a great price, and from what I have read the ADA8000's might have this capability, or they are looking into it.

Ankyu
dante

Re: Mic Pre Automation

Post by dante »

Well on the XITE theres only PAD and GAIN isn't there ? Not a bad idea, but I spose Ive only ever though of those type of control as set once based on a 'test 1-2-3' into the mic while you screw with project levels and then forget. the ADA8000 doesnt have a MIDI in from what I make out, so no remote there :(
tjsound

Post by tjsound »

i found this -
http://www.aphex.com/188.htm

very useful for xited gigs
XITE-1, Reaperx64...
garyb

Post by garyb »

i kinda don't get it. the input gain doesn't need to be changed once set, and a fader on a mixer can be automated all you might want, so...
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have been using the ins for hardware analog synths and they sound great when I add gain there for dynamics. Much better than using the fader.
MIDI CC attached to a lag processor to control the mic pre would be sick.
Even using CC7 on the SE-1s' or EML-101 for their gain is mushy.
These DI/MicPres' start with a max value of the synths already, and boosting it sounds really large.
Besides, everything is working so what can I bitch about. :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
dante

Post by dante »

If you set the pre to be the max it can go before overload, then the mixer fader level also will have a max value before overload ( for example 3/4 - which is a CC value of 92 ).

*IF* theres a Scope device to map the CC range from 0 - 92 instead of 0 - 127 ( eg divide value by 3/4 ) then you're gonna get the same gain across the controller range you would from manipulating the pre input aren't you ( since its already turned up as high as it can be ) ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Mathematically correct, but the ears tell me different.
A Trim pot on a hardware mixer sounds different than the fader to my ears also, but I am sure an FoH would probably have an explanation.
This is just for the old useless out dated analog synth hardware that few people use anyways.
I really do like the sound of the DI/MicPres though, regardless if it ever gets CC automations.
Perhaps I can afford a key tech that can memporize the arrangements and boost the swells in the proper spots.........NOT.
garyb

Post by garyb »

saturating the hardware pre certainly sounds different than adding clean gain on a virtual mixer fader....maybe you could emulate that with some overdrive....
dante

Post by dante »

I think the problem is the expense of the manufacture - since the trim is (most likely) an actual analog pot rather than a digital circuit on the XITE board itself, they would have to motorize it to give it MIDI control.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey.........a new idea.
Motorized knobs for the fattest and laziest amongst us.

I tried using some OD and actually could have used tgstgs's Saw as it is sorely missed.
I use to use it because on any graph you can see the incedible amount of sidebands and rich harmonics.
My B2003 is so weak w/o it that I must use a 2 x 4 Switch that goes clean into the mixer with the Leslie emu and B2003s' Overdrive, and then Y it off into MoJo for the Deep Purple sound w/ the Leslie disconnected. I then have to feed that back into the B2003 input where I can add the Leslie.
This is how Highway Star and other organ sounds from that group used it.
They went out of the B3 into a Marshall head then into the Leslie PreAmp.
Funny how I can get close using virtual stuff but Saws lack of 64bit innards make that plug and Dynomic unusable................ :cry:

Someday the SDK might solve this issue.
Lord knows there's many guys on the sidelines waiting.
dante

Post by dante »

Well conceivably there'd be a market for a small stomp box that contained nothing but a motorized pot, midi in and audio in/out. You wouldn't even need the knob (could be optional on the deluxe version), just a 9V battery compartment. This could give you the analog gain characteristics / sound you're after :)

I really like Wakeman's use of Organ on later albums like 'Out There' (2003) - not sure if that was a real church organ, Wurlitzer, Hammond or combination but he gives those 70's sounds a great renaissance in a modern context.