Modular Mixing

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Modular Mixing

Post by dawman »

Your determination will be rewarded judiciously.
I can get the rig for a recording sometime soon, but the B2003 Leslie isn't bad, it actually sounds better using ASIO into the audio inputs. And surprisingly Astroman had the idea of using the Scanner Vibrato C3 on Guitar and I tried that as well, and it's spectacular.
I just had an extra mic pre which I use for the SE-1 and it really gets warm sounds, so I tried the Ventilator and now have delegated the Scanner Vibrato by itself.
Mostly because when I use Leslie + Vibrato the sound is less authentic, and phases out the Vibrato more than I like. On the Ventilator it sounds true and blue.
The 1U Dynachord was a great little piece of jkit for the day. I still had a Leslie when it came out but our Road Crew were begging us to use an M1 and a Dynachord instead of the B3/147 in Anvil Cases.......can;t blame them, but told them to shut up and pack the gear....
They really hated the CS-80 as I wouldn;t allow them to use a Dolley and scratch up the case.
Hand packing was the way.
Let me know how the Dynachord works out. First thing you'll notice is the seperation of the Scanner Vibrato and the Rotary effect. B2003 just blends them and has less distinction.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Your determination will be rewarded judiciously.
I can get the rig for a recording sometime soon, but the B2003 Leslie isn't bad, it actually sounds better using ASIO into the audio inputs. And surprisingly Astroman had the idea of using the Scanner Vibrato C3 on Guitar and I tried that as well, and it's spectacular.
two issues w/ B-2003 ...

C/V setting C3 doesn´t sound like C3 on the real thing,- C1 sounds more like C3.
Percussion is polyphonic when playing block chords.
Nice feature though, but should be user switchable,- Perc.= polyphonic or monophonic throughout.
The overdrive ...

Is that improved in Ferrofish B4000+ ?

The Vent overdrive is killer IMO.

This thing is done w/ SCOPE SDK.
Can we have it as a device for SCOPE ?

S|C,- pleeeeeeezzzzze !!!!!
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: Leslie + Vibrato the sound is less authentic, and phases out the Vibrato more than I like. On the Ventilator it sounds true and blue.
This !

Most clones don´t do C/V C3 and fast Leslie well, especially audible in the high registers or w/ only high drawbars out.
It was interesting playing each single drawbar across a 61 keys keyboard w/ fast leslie and C/V C3.
Works o.k. w/ the 1st 5 or 6 drawbars, craps out w/ 1' for sure.

Use 2nd harmonic perc. / slow / volume soft mostly,- so 1' drawbar is deactivated anyway,- so no biggie.
I often use C/V C3 as a replacement of fast leslie w/ leslie itself stopped (brake),- or C/V w/ slow rotary speed.
C/V and fast leslie almost never.
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: The 1U Dynachord was a great little piece of jkit for the day.
I was endorsee of Dynacord for some years,- had a s**tload of poweramps, X-overs, 4-Way Cabs factory-built in flightcases, 4x12" and the MIDI programmable guitar amp, delays, reverb and the CLS and DLS leslie sims.

I liked the white CLS222 but it had nop MIDI.
The 223 was wrong w/ the woofer/horn X-over ...
I kept the 223, factory hardware upgraded to DLS300.
Excellent MIDI, almost every parameter programmble w/ Emagic Sounddiver and old Mac G3 desktop or Powerbook G3.
Distortion not good.
I combine w/ a Rocktron 300A compressor/HUSH II (separate I/Os for comp. and HUSH), Chandler Tubedriver w/ military grade tube and the mains transformer upgrade.
Signal chain: Organ>Comp>Tubedriver>HUSH ...
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:
our Road Crew were begging us to use an M1 and a Dynachord instead of the B3/147 in Anvil Cases.
Ha,- that was my combo too for may years !!!
KORG M1R, Organ PCM/Program card set,- organ programs in Combi MOde routed to single out #4 mono, then running into the compressor, tubdriver, HUSH combo mentioned above.
Did lots of touring w/ that ... :D
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: Let me know how the Dynachord works out. First thing you'll notice is the seperation of the Scanner Vibrato and the Rotary effect. B2003 just blends them and has less distinction.
I have to build a new rack 1st and until I can, I´m busy w/ my new "keyboard project for XITE-1"

Seems I nailed it,- just mailed Paul screenshots and programming steps.
You´ll read in Scoperise.
New project loads without SAT connection errors and has lowest DSP I´ve ever seen up to now.
Prodyssey works polyphonic not ony w/ 4 voices,- I tried 6 worked, but only need 5.
The other big synths too, most w/ 8 voices.
XITE hardware MIDI works, ASIO, Presonus S1 Pro2 and Reason rewired too.

Now I have to get all MIDI CC stuff perfect and saved, will need some time because I cannot be busy w/ XITE all the time.

STS sampler was the culprit,- thx to Gary for the info !

But,- is just only a question when and where you put STS sampler in the project.
Actually I got it running w/ 32 voices on DSP#9 by loading it at the very last instrument and assign.
For the other devices, I now used 98% auto assignment and it is great.

The 2nd and 3rd last instruments loaded into the project were Minimax monophonic, manually assigned to DSP#12 and B-2003 to DSP#16.

With all the instruments, 4 AUX FX and STM2448 (all channels used except Ret. 5&6), ADAT converter, MIC-DI Source and the STM4K 32 voices,- it´s under 50% load and DSps #13 / 17 (slot 3) and #14 / 18 (slot 4) still untouched !
Crys for Modular or 1 or 2 ZARG now .... :o

Only 3 manual DSP assignments for the, DSP wise, most humble instruments and it works (when Minimax is monophonic like the real).

MIDI CCs next days when I´m sure it will load the same each day,- it did since yesterday for 3 times meanwhile.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

YAAY ! Sounds like progress... thanks for the ScopeRise stuff Ill check l8r.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I still have the Rocktron Hush, haven't used it since 1989. It silenced the Leslie really well and when I learned that that killer Boston B3 sound was due to a Tom Sholz Noise Gate creation, and he was the Rocktron guy I was impressed. A very talented chap indeed.

Foreplay/Longtime was bitch to learn as a kid, and he recorded it w/o Punch ins. So using the pedals, the Swell and one hand for drawbars while stomping on/off Leslie is impressive.
I wonder if he knows about SpaceF's drawbar ganger with seperate curves per drawbar..... :)

Also you can use 2 x M2S modules that give you 4 x mono outputs from a stereo signal. Send these into Celmos Corssover and fix the Crossover Frequency to emulate the 800kh on the 147, and then add your distortion/OD/FAT-II Mono's per channel insert in the STM2448, you can get some better distortion and rotary control, but the Neo pretty much does all of that plus more just from it's excellent design. I'll actually do the B3 parts from Bostons Foreplay with the Ventillator and SpaceF's CC2x2's and you'll see why I prefer having 2 hands to play a dual manual split on an 88 note PX3 Controller.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:YAAY ! Sounds like progress... thanks for the ScopeRise stuff Ill check l8r.
Hi Paul !

Hope pics and text are usable for you.
You´ll get more pics later, incl. the keyboard hardware setup when all is changed.
I have a hard time waiting for the availablity of my tech (SCOPE user too) and being busy w/ some film music stuff.
He´s in another village and he has all the parts in his house we buyed from Mouser and Digikey,- and I need the service and repairs to get all finished.

In the meantime, I need this registry hack for the "hardware 30 detected, needs software update, read installation manual" popup as well as the "Scope cannot acces hardware" and "ASIO driver not running" issues.

Setting up the machine all new makes no sense,- I´ll replace mobo, processor and RAM sometime this year anyway,- so w/ Win 7 then, it will be a new installation but not now.
There are so many apps and plugins on this machine, I´d need weeks to set up all new.

Important info:

When I installed SCOPE 5.1,- I did w/ right click on the .exe because it was advised to install in administrator mode.
My machine runs in administrator mode and I am the administrator,- but when the machine was set up, we did it without a administrator password. It doesn´t exisit here,- so the only way was using the pop-up checkbox and installing SCOPE as "user",- my username,- and there was/is the computer name listed too.
I checked that box and the installation worked.

SCOPE ran for weeks w/ this installation and there were no errors except these SAT connection stuff which I hopefully got sorted out now.

Meanwhile, the "hardware & driver" warning popup issues come up each day and before I´m able to run SCOPE,- you see this in my screenshots,- and it also comes up when not defragging harddrive(s).

If I´d get rid of that s**t,- I´d be able to go on trying using SCOPE w/ a Startup Project and luanch SCOPE automatic when the machine boots,- then autostart Presonus Studio One Pro 2 or Reaper, then Reason 6.
I think, I´ll use Studio One Pro 2 in the studio and Reaper as a live VST host because Reaper launches Reason automatic as a track template which saves 1 autostart entry in a live rig machine.
Jens, my tech, gigging w/ SCOPE as also NOAH,- he used an app called "autostart" tweaking the timeouts for the autostart process and it works for him.

But it cannot work if all the popups come up reporting SCOPE doesn´t find hardware and I have to reboot !

For this problem, I definitely need help and the best would be a registry hack because it seems to be a false allert,- otherwise XITE-1 and SCOPE 5.1 wouldn´t run.
Sometimes, it needs 1 reboot of the machine,- the last time it needed 3.

So, any idea except setting up a new machine ?

thx

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I wonder if he knows about SpaceF's drawbar ganger with seperate curves per drawbar..... :)
Ooops, what´s that ????
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: Also you can use 2 x M2S modules that give you 4 x mono outputs from a stereo signal.
I already use 1 of these feeding RSPV-1 S plate reverb stereo inputs from STM2448X mono Aux Send.
Question:

There´s the chicken head Delay knob ...
What is it good for ?
Does tweaking make sense ?
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: add your distortion/OD/FAT-II Mono's per channel insert in the STM2448
I don´t have these. Where to find ?
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: , you can get some better distortion and rotary control, but the Neo pretty much does all of that plus more just from it's excellent design.
Well, the Vent is on my wishlist and the Dynacord will be for the experiment and rack model only.
I also prefer "1 unit does it all" over 3 1HU units being a workaround.
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I'll actually do the B3 parts from Bostons Foreplay with the Ventillator and SpaceF's CC2x2's and you'll see why I prefer having 2 hands to play a dual manual split on an 88 note PX3 Controller.
Seems I have to experiment w/ the SpaceF CC2x2,- it´s here on my harddrive but I never looked into it up to now.
There´s so much stuff for SCOPE and I have to take care, count of modules won´t explode into the same s**tload of devices I already have as VST plugins.
It´s pure overkill and I always forget what all these things do and if I´ll ever need ´em at all. :D

You know, I was able to work for the major record companies using 10 fingers, a grand piano, the organ, Rhodes and clav plus 3 or 4 synths in the past.
I made arrangements w/ the 8-track QX-1 and later ATARI & Notator.
Scope w/ a reduced set of vintage type synth plugins, mixer and some essential FX is ideal for me, especially in a 1HU box.
1 see me kicking 950 out of 980 VST plugins from my machine and never look back. :lol:

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Since this is a SpaceF thread the OT shouldn't be too annoying.
Below I found a 2 x 4 Crossover from Celmo so the old 4 x 4 using 2 x M2S Modules isn't needed.
There are newer CC2x2's from SpaceF as you can tell by the GUI's.
I can't get the second pair of drawbars to function as they did with the cards, so I use 2 instances. I use the BCF 2000 as a way to add more pedal inputs and MIDI CC's, faders, etc.'
MIDI CC 93 is the Expression Pedal, as I move the pedal the other 2 attached drawbars follow.
You can set their start points and target destinations by the curves, and M knob next to each fader. The lag times are set to the left for the speed of the drawbars.
So due to me standing while I perform, this is great as I only need to stomp down the expression pedal, and the lag times make the drawbars start and stop according to lag time and curves. Then I can pull the Expression Pedal back with another quick stomp, and they slowly return to the original settings.
I only move 4 drawbars, and my basic default B3 setting is 16' @ 7. 5 1/4' @ 8. and the other drawbar combinations ( 4 of them ) vary according to the style or tune. No other B3 Clone can do this, and I have footswitchs for Rotary and Vibato Upper, and Lower, and FWIW I don't hear a polyphonic Percussion, but I play old style where the Percussion is really high with a 1 o'clock setting for the decay, and since I always have at least 1 note sustained, only when I release that note and play again will the percussion be retriggered.
All adjustments are made in real time, I only have one B2003 preset, and then 12 different presets on the CC2x2's.
Untitled.png
garyb

Post by garyb »

administrator mode only matters for win7.
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote:In the meantime, I need this registry hack for the "hardware 30 detected, needs software update, read installation manual" popup as well as the "Scope cannot acces hardware" and "ASIO driver not running" issues.
There is also GaryB's cset.ini hack http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_09/xit_mast.htm under 'Xite1-D Installation & Tips'. That helped with a slightly different 'Communication Error' I had. If that or the trouble guide dont help, then not sure coz Im fairly religious about getting any fix that I come across into there. EDIT: This fix may be XITE-1D specific (so double check as it may be different for XITE-1)

Read all the links from the troubleguide as my cause of 'Hardware Version 16 Detected' error was due (I suspect) to my installing an XP SP3 under a different username from what I had with SP2. http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26987 The downside of this fix is that it was a full reformat though :evil:

and a couple of others:

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30114

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30213
sherlock wrote:the startup error is probably caused by the old version still autostarting.

you can try the following: start "regedit" and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and delete the old sfp.exe entry...

(or use msconfig or regcleaner etc.)
Last edited by dante on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you cannot have both v5 and v4 on the computer at the same time. you must at least rename the unused version's folder.

in addition, once the v5 driver is installed. windows may refuse to use the v4 driver. you cannot use the v4 driver with v5 or vice versa. a reg cleaner is not really reccomended, but you will need to clean up the registry if you roll back to v4 from v5. first remove the cards and then you will need to remove all the Sonic|Core entries. replace the cards and then rerun the installer for v4(no need to uninstall) and reinstall the driver.

a computer is nothing more than a glorified file cabinet. all the files need to be in order if the programs are going to work. if the file system is a mess, the computer will be flakey.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:administrator mode only matters for win7.
O.k., thx, then I did it right I think.

Now I wonder why I get the driver and hardware error messages.

It seems,- SCOPE doesn´t find the hardware sometimes and it requires re-boot(s).
Once found,- all is fine.

In addition and when SCOPE is runing already,- sometimes and when launching a VST host and/or Reason 6, the software reports ASIO driver not running ...

I see no reason why.

According to your last post:

SCOPE 4 was never installed on THIS machine.

It´s on my single core P4 machine existing as my 2nd rackmount computer here.
So, any driver mismatch (SCOPE 4 or SCOPE 5 driver) is excluded on my dual core machine running XITE-1.

I now wonder if I have a PCIe card /HDMI cable issue,- losing connectivity randomly.
Remark:
No IRQ sharing w/ PCIe slot/card since your advise to disable USB controller, which I did.

All these error messages came up during the last 2 weeks,- before, I´ve never seen these.

How to test before requesting a RMA and/or sending back the machine, card, cable or whatever ?
Problem,- I have only 1 PCIe slot in this machine/on this mobo and I don´t have any other computer w/ PCIe slots.

???

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

try another hdmi cable first. that's the weakest link.
spacef

Post by spacef »

May be some of you want to try this project (my default one).
It has 8 stereo asio + 1 for the master, sidechainer 124 to sequence/compress/sidechain any of the 12 channels, 3 big synths with 4 voice of poly each, 3 or 4 external synths, 1 mic + 1 guitar1/bass, aux delay, 1 delay ls, 1 sc plate.
The RMX160 reverb may be loaded in bus 4 but it may give you errors when reloading.
May be there is a better choice of reverb (i am sure 2 masterverb pro x is no problem).
Also, a second verb can be loaded in the project, in between mix5 and R165, it will fit nicely and then may be assigned to other dsps.
It is possible that, by assigning R165 and mix5 to different dsp, you gain the power to load another SC verb (you can now, but the project might bug on reload).
So this is open to experiments.

I do not have the needed count of channels on the channels modules, so here, on the 12SL channels 7/8 are for asio or for 2 synths depending on where you are in the project.
Compact 16 allows to record and to mix in scope always in a "pre-master" situation, that is to say, to output 6 to 8 ASIO groups maximum, that will be recorded, and then become
stems for the final stereo master.

The limitations I found are more a question of modules adapted in size to the dsp (for example, modules of 16 channels is too much.
May be 14 is better, or may be modules of 10 channels are even better.... but we don't have those yet), as well as the good choice of effects.
For example, loading a PEQ4 can give you dsp overload, but if you load it in the slot above or under, then, no problem.
Also, if PeQ4 doesn't do it, the SL9000 eq may be loaded without problems
(and it includes gate and compression so, may be better than PEQ4 - PEQ4 gives problems when you activate bands, not when you load it (as it loads full dsp off).

If the project looses dsp assignment, it is not a problem, and if it becomes one, then re-assign the modules as pictured.
Yes it is a pain to have that dsp-overload-optimization message appear and press ok each time you want to select something in the menu, but well, the reward is that
it will get the project back on track.

nb: in the pic, the number in parenthesis are used only if needed. when i made this project, it didn't need it. it is only the day after that i did that to optimize further.
nb: if anyone knows if there is a sdk + modular 4 for w7 x64, i am interested to know ;-) (i have the impression it is not there yet, right ?)

BRING BACK THE SPAGETTIS TO THE FLOOR :D
Last edited by spacef on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Wow, that's intense!
And very awesome.

Greg
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Awesome = Spacef with an XITE in action :)

Better still, modular mixer might hit it's full potential on XITE once there's a decent SDK available!

Thanks, Mehdi.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Glad you broke down and got an XITE-1.
PlanetZ is starting to become an XITE-1/D forum, even though many folks still enjoy their investments from a decade ago......

Nice Project 2Zani......
spacef

Post by spacef »

Further tests show that channels/MasterBus presets made on scope pci load without problem too :)
I really like the preamps quality on guitar, I must try on mics, but they sound pretty clean and clear.
As you say, it will be all good once there is a x64 sdk (is it planned btw?)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

Run a hardware synth through the PreAmps with a FAT II-S in the ProjWindow.
Pretty strong medicine...
I run Solaris using the AES/EBU into FAT II-S and it's devastating.
SE-1X is so FAT I can't use the FATs.... :wink:
dante

Post by dante »

spacef wrote:As you say, it will be all good once there is a x64 sdk (is it planned btw?)
Most recent SDK was 5.1 ( http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_13/sdk_mast.htm ) allowing dev on W7 (incl. x64). But AFAIK this is about to be superceeded as the next one will be more for Open Scope.
spacef

Post by spacef »

cool... downloaded and installed... waiting for keys ;-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website