Xite-1 and A16 Ultra expandability

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

auricle

Xite-1 and A16 Ultra expandability

Post by auricle »

Hi all,

I have an A16 Ultra connected to my Xite-1 via Z-Link. I have my Mac connected to the Xite-1 via ADAT.

I would like to connect another A16 to the Xite so would it be possible to connect the second A16 via ADAT lightpipe to the first A16 and have access to the extra I/O in Scope?
garyb

Re: Xite-1 and A16 Ultra expandability

Post by garyb »

no, sorry. it doesn't work like that. i guess it's back to harrassing S|C... :lol:
auricle

Post by auricle »

garyb wrote:no, sorry. it doesn't work like that. i guess it's back to harrassing S|C... :lol:
dammit.

Cheers, Gary :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

I also think that large studios would be very interested in seeing more expandability.
The mic pres are fine for live and home project studio work, and the AES/EBU is great, but I have seen more and more high end hardware w/AES/EBU, and the XITE-1 would be a real pleasure to have an expansion port for this.
32 ADAT I/O w/ 16 x SMUX,and AES/EBU 16 x AES/EBU or 8 AES/EBU @ 192 would be awesome.
Bring It On..
auricle

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I also think that large studios would be very interested in seeing more expandability.
The mic pres are fine for live and home project studio work, and the AES/EBU is great, but I have seen more and more high end hardware w/AES/EBU, and the XITE-1 would be a real pleasure to have an expansion port for this.
32 ADAT I/O w/ 16 x SMUX,and AES/EBU 16 x AES/EBU or 8 AES/EBU @ 192 would be awesome.
Bring It On..
Yep, would be good. I just need extra inputs for my hardware so I can mix it in Scope.

Would it be theoretically possible for SC to use the XTDM port for an I/O breakout box?
dawman

Post by dawman »

That's certainly an option.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's the plan. maybe mlan, even...
let S|C know.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

auricle wrote:
garyb wrote:no, sorry. it doesn't work like that. i guess it's back to harrassing S|C... :lol:
dammit.

Well, I think it IS possible!

Because you can switch the inputs on the Z-Link connected A16 from analog to the ADAT lightpipes (via the Sample Rate Button, shows up the mode via the LEDs, reeding "ADAT" or "ANLG", see pics)

So you could add another A16 via ADAT, switch the first A16 to "ADAT" and there you are, running the analog inputs from the second A16 to its ADAT outputs, going into the ADAT inputs of the first A16 and through ist Z-Link conections into the Xite-1.

I use this feature quite often, runs like a charm! :)
Attachments
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg (16.63 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg (18.81 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice idea......
Love the KSP8 too.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Marvin wrote:
auricle wrote:
dammit.

Well, I think it IS possible!

Because you can switch the inputs on the Z-Link connected A16 from analog to the ADAT lightpipes (via the Sample Rate Button, shows up the mode via the LEDs, reeding "ADAT" or "ANLG", see pics)

So you could add another A16 via ADAT, switch the first A16 to "ADAT" and there you are, running the analog inputs from the second A16 to its ADAT outputs, going into the ADAT inputs of the first A16 and through ist Z-Link conections into the Xite-1.

I use this feature quite often, runs like a charm! :)
sure, but there are still the same number of i/o in Scope. it's either/or...
auricle

Post by auricle »

Indeed. I need 32 I/O of the two A16 boxes PLUS the 16 I/0 of the Xite adat I/O
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

auricle wrote:Indeed. I need 32 I/O of the two A16 boxes PLUS the 16 I/0 of the Xite adat I/O
So you mean simultanously? Ok, that is indeed not possible. But otherwise you can easily switch between the inputs. If you need to have the machines plugged into both A16 playing all together, just record the first set and then the others, the rest is DAW. :)