Little confused about DSP assignment in XITE-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

grappa

Little confused about DSP assignment in XITE-1

Post by grappa »

Hi all,

Finally managed to get the new machine build and XITE-1 installed and running - all went sweet (the two weeks I spent away in Spain whilst the XITE-1 was sitting waiting at home were agony!).

I'm doing some setup and testing but need a little advice on this DSP assigment process -I've read a couple of threads about whats best and the process but I still dont understand the underlying reason for this - does assisnging to specific DSP's ensure that the load is best balanced across the various XITE legacy/new DSP chips - is it to ensure that devices sit on a single chip and hence inter-dsp sample latency issues are resolved?

We've got a fairly simple setup to start - just a decent size tracking/mixing setup - we basically are using the 48/96 mixer (which I belive you can't re-assign dsp according to the advice on the email including our registration key?) adding inserts/aux's within the relevant slots of the mixer - I read one of Jimmy's posts about keeping the Aux's external to allocate to specific dsp's?

I just need a steer on the best way forward before I paint us into a corner!

We will want to be adding synth's and maybe some STS for simple sample duties later so any pointers on this would be of use.

Good to finally be part of the S|C future!

Si
dawman

Re: Little confused about DSP assignment in XITE-1

Post by dawman »

I would email Ralf and ask him for some information.
They seemed to have done more than just add 64 bit drivers.
For example, Modular IV has a few new fixes.
I can load up immense patches with Flexor, Roy, BCM and even old Modular 1 stuff w/o any real snags.
Once Ralf explains the structure, you can then decide how you want to use it.
But ALWAYS.......clear the assignments immediately after assigning them. This will allow them to span across the entire slot placement.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

An earlier email from Ralf mentioned that all SC native devices have already been DSP optimized, so no need to assign DSP.
I think at the time only the 1632 still needed work.

It's the 3rd party devices where DSP assignment becomes the option (and at times a crazy dance).

Latest beta release has indeed improved some DSP-to-DSP errors I was getting with 3rd party synths and mixers, and has also seemingly improved overall project density.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
Casper

Post by Casper »

Hi,

i was trying to figuere out if my dsp assignments are stored in the projectfile or do i have to go thru this assignment process everytime i load a project?

cheers,

Casper

edit:

Dumb me, i just found it out.
It is stored in the project file. Ony the graying out of the selected dsp is not there anymore after loading.
So i realy have to write my dsp assignments down for each project.
Otherwise i can never remember which device was assigned to what dsp...