64bit Testing

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: 64bit Testing

Post by dawman »

Is that for Kareoke or something....?
We have a guy that actually brings in a decent crowd using Wavelab over a small PA with cute little 100 watt lights etc.
People get drunk and try to sing and I must admit it's lots of fun, especially when me and my bros hoot and howl to Hank Williams tunes...

Surely there's a reason a developer would want to use these.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: Why are wave drivers needed. Is it a 96k thing..?
Most hosts can still record directly to wav, since ASIO is mostly used when using VST plugins, etc.
Doesn't VDAT record directly to .wav?

Greg
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah. I prefer making my soundcloud snippets on VDAT. Taking only 2 tracks of the 8 I can send that to Soundcloud and it sounds better than Spubase or Weaper.
It's very noticable.
I guess them Kareoke guys know their shit.
Love that Guitar you got.
8 Strings is just sick.....Luv it.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Yeah. I prefer making my soundcloud snippets on VDAT. Taking only 2 tracks of the 8 I can send that to Soundcloud and it sounds better than Spubase or Weaper.
It's very noticable.
I guess them Kareoke guys know their shit.
Love that Guitar you got.
8 Strings is just sick.....Luv it.
Thanks, ...You DO realize that you and I are gonna be jammin' some day, right? :wink:

Greg
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I am a moron obviously because I dont' understand why wave drivers are used.
Dont we want ASIO drivers for integration with DAW's and VSTi samplers...?
Wave drivers might be used for several things, in example if you want to run certain apps (like wavelab) in parallel with your daw (since SC ASIO drivers aren't multiclient). I also think there is still quite a bit of software that doesn't utilize ASIO.

There have been extensive clicks and pops on wave drivers earlier as well, at low-medium latency. If it really is worse now i understand it is unusable.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

As you might know - the Wave drivers are the only I/O interface thats multiclient on Scope. If you want to run 2+ (I usually run 3 programs in parallel) programs in parallel you need Wave drivers.

A lot of programs (commercially and proprietary) doesn't have native ASIO support, like Matlab.

I could ask - why not support Wave on a Windows system????

I would imagine that some of the XITE owners have working Wave drivers on Win 7 64bit SP1 (or maybe none have?) and they might be able to help - I would greatly appreciate any help both from here and SC support.

I created an additional boot partition on the Mac Pro and installed Win XP SP3 32bit - no Wave issues at all, so this issue is only present when Win 7 64bit is installed.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I got it.
Well let's bust their balls then.
Has anyone tried disabling driver signing yet....?
That got me through some 32bit only devices while using newest drivers and devices in x64.....?
astroman

Post by astroman »

siriusbliss wrote: Doesn't VDAT record directly to .wav?
it just uses the same file format, but independant from the driver - just writes plain DSP data (in my understanding).
At least it was the only system that played back EXACTLY what was on the monitors before.

cheers, Tom
ps also noticed your new axe... well, that's kind of an understatement :lol:
not only is it impressive, but it's got style. A single piece of nice wood on top, otherwise pure technology without pretending...
for it's asymetric shape I'd almost call it Colani meets Bauhaus - a respectable design job, too :D
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

astroman wrote:
siriusbliss wrote: Doesn't VDAT record directly to .wav?
it just uses the same file format, but independant from the driver - just writes plain DSP data (in my understanding).
At least it was the only system that played back EXACTLY what was on the monitors before.

cheers, Tom
ps also noticed your new axe... well, that's kind of an understatement :lol:
not only is it impressive, but it's got style. A single piece of nice wood on top, otherwise pure technology without pretending...
for it's asymetric shape I'd almost call it Colani meets Bauhaus - a respectable design job, too :D
Thanks!

I'll be putting it through it's paces over the next couple weeks in a couple sessions.

Greg
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

you should know that this is a MS job and not a SC one
good vibes
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

tgstgs wrote:you should know that this is a MS job and not a SC one
Im not sure what you mean?!

Is some one able to record with Wave Destination on XITE with Win 7 64bit SP1? If so, what is your setup?
dante

Post by dante »

Warp69 wrote:
Im not sure what you mean?!

Is some one able to record with Wave Destination on XITE with Win 7 64bit SP1? If so, what is your setup?
I think he means its a Microsoft problem to fix, not S|C's prob.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I get it Windows = Wav audio.
I got an idea, lets get a good lawyer and start a class action lawsuit. They usually settle out and the money can be sent to Soniccore to release a real SDK, with new modules, etc.
I have a fantastic pair of lawyers.
Waffenschniflitz & Silverbagel...
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Thank you to SC support/Ralf for great and fast communications.

SC has acknowledged the bug and will be working on a solution.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

These would be real news! Thanks Warp and thanks to S|C, hoping they've got the endurance if they engaged into some M$ support call for this one...
maky325

Post by maky325 »

good vibes
How explain :roll: Why should MS fix driver written by another company? I've never heard for anything like that..
astroman

Post by astroman »

he means that the system part to which the driver connects is ... maybe not the best code...
an OS software supplier should keep some standards in standard interfaces.
Imho there isn't any earthshaking processing breakthrough in Win7's multimedia file playback ;)
so it's not totally out of the world to expect some basic compatibility...
Tgstgs uses their C++ developement toolkit extensively (iirc) and probably knows what he's talking about.
Of course it could also be that SC simply overlooked something (as Warp's post suggest)

cheers, Tom
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Just to clarify.

The bug is obviously related to the SC code and when SC finds the resources, they will fix the bug.

The current wave driver model have been available for developers since 2005 (infact earlier) and is very well known.

According to Ralf, the drivers worked in an earlier build.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I found the Wave drivers worked in the very first XITE-1 release I had back in May '09.
I remember using them to playback break music but haven't done that in ages.
Yesterday I went to playback 24bit Source Wave so I could again have break music, and no errors, no sound, nothing.
Now I join the crowd that wants these drivers back again.
Funny that VDAT uses wav. files and works well, I wonder what needs to be done..?
astroman

Post by astroman »

as mentioned above: it just uses the .wav file format to store bits and bytes.
The data is coming directly from the DSPs without any 'driver'. That's why it sounds so pure... (I guess...) :D

cheers, Tom