64bit Testing

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

iSiStOy

Re: 64bit Testing

Post by iSiStOy »

Don't hesitate to post what you see on your PC start screen (AMI BIOS messages or whatever messages your see before Windows starts) and we will be able to help...
tonschieber

Post by tonschieber »

Have here big problems with stotering clicking pops in audio-recording/playback from ASIO and wave drivers too on win7 64bit!

I tried all the tweekings in bios and os i can finde in the net all above the tweeking tips from here.

Nothing changed.

So I bought a second CPU, because I was told by soniccore support it have to do with the hardware combination.

Nothing changed.

Than I thought a XITE-1 D to check if my SCOPE Boards are defected.

No difference with the new SONIC CORE hardware.

Now i builded up the system with thre different cpus two different mobos, getting less stuttering sound with an i7-2600 CPU @ 3,4GHz then a i5 2500K CPU @ 3,3 GHz did.

There are some IRQ-sharings in W7 with my two Scope-DSP cards, but there ar no conflicts are shown in the device-manager or somewhere else. I can't find anything in the Bios to change the Plug and Play BIOS as discribed in the very old SCOPE manual.
Instead of that I read a lot of no IRQ changeing in W7 required or possible.

I using Nuendo 5.1 (32bit/64bit) for asio recording and playback.

Is there anyone hwo have no problems with the same constellation?

Audio pops / stottering reappears randomly minimum one time per hour.
Sometimes its bad to here if the mainmix is very loud as modern pop music is,
but the new recorded / seperatet tracks shows all the stutter-pops.

Have anybody a solution for these problems instead of installing a 32bit system?

best

Tobi
Sorry for my bad english
garyb

Post by garyb »

There are some IRQ-sharings in W7 with my two Scope-DSP cards
well, this is probably the issue.
Scope is a realtime system. realtime means that it CAN'T wait for the cpu, when it's turn comes around. when it has to wait, because another device stole it's chance to talk to the cpu(the interrupt or irq), there is a blank gap in the audio, which sounds link a click or pop.

what EXACTLY is sharing?
if it's a usb controller, disable that puppy immediately in the bios. that should fix it. if it's a system device, tell me what the device is, first.
tonschieber

Post by tonschieber »

Hi Garyb,

thank you so much for the quick reply.

I'm surching here since three weeks for the problem. Always in the night after a normal working day.
Sometimes till the mornig comes, finding my head on the faders lol.
But thats not funny I'm realy at the end of my expertise :-(

The IRQ sharing could be the reason, but I don't know how to change.
The manual of the SC soft is as old as my first computer, and i didn't find an instruction to change it in W7,
beacause in w7 everything seems already new and different to me.

I'll pay you for dinner if I get it run with your help!

If you could give me support in german language you could give me a hidden message with your contact.
Sorry for my bad english
tonschieber

Post by tonschieber »

Here are IRQs for my old constellation of the two DSP cards - SCOPE(14DSP) professional and Luna(3DSP)

IRQ 16

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface

Sonic Core Scope

Xeon E3-1200 2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family Express Root Port - 0101

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 1C1A

PCI Standard_PCI_to_PCI_Bridge
(Yes all that at one IRQ - there ist a big IRQ(16)-HouseParty where all are invited :-)

IRQ 17

Sonic Core DSP-Board

Intel(R) 82801 PCI-Bridge - 244E

Intel(R) 6 Series C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1C10

Won't disable USB. Prefer to moove SCOPE to a free IRQ instead.
Sorry for my bad english
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think Gary is right about the IRQs...you've got a lot fo them stacked up there. I would turn off any devices not in use first: Motherboards usually have MANY USB ports (both internal and external). Also, serial ports, modems, parallel ports, floppy drives, etc. After you turn everything not in use off, reboot the PC, and the BIOS/Windows will reassign IRQs. If possible, get your video card on it's own IRQ, and the SCOPE card(s) on their own IRQ.

Turning off unused devices should be part of any audio system - even if the devices isn't used, it's still part of the IRQ routine, and only adds to your latency times.

Also, I use AlactrityPC to turn off unnecessary programs running on the PC in the background.
"What is AlacrityPC? AlacrityPC allows you to get the most from your Windows PC by shutting down unnecessary services and programs before you run a resource intensive application like a game. When you finish with the application, AlacrityPC can automatically restart those services and programs, returning your PC back to its original state."
http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/
tonschieber

Post by tonschieber »

Just for information:

The IRQs looking much better, thanks to Garyb,
but still have crackles here, less but there are minimum 1 per hour!

Heard some people saying it depends on Sandybridge, which gives no good support to PCI Bus.
This will say that my old PCI-boards may not work with these Processors.
I din't try with a XITE PCIe, because I gave it back.

Will try to get a used P55 socket 1156 board and CPU to test.

Can't work with these stuttering-crackle-problem.

Is there anybody using old SCOPE cards, i5/i7 sandybridge, p67 board, win7 64bit,
using ASIO playback/recording via Cubase/Nuendo?
Are there no crackles?

Is there anybody using new XITE-1 XITE-1 D, i5/i7 sandybridge, p67 board, win7 64bit,
Are there crackles?

best
T
astroman

Post by astroman »

tonschieber wrote: ... Is there anybody using old SCOPE cards, i5/i7 sandybridge, p67 board, win7 64bit,
Are there no crackles? ...
imo PCI support on that chipset is so bad that it's a plain mission impossible... BUT ...
an experiment worth trying:
there are (active) PCIe to PCI converters for about 50 bucks - with a single card it's an easy go
the question is:
will Scope work if the 'main' card sits in a 'converted' slot and the other ones in regular PCI slots ?
In my humble understanding the 'sub' cards are just initialized and get their power by the PCI bus.
Data transfer for processing between the cards is done via the S/TDM bus, only the main card communicates with system RAM via the slot...

cheers, Tom
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

tonschieber wrote:Can't work with these stuttering-crackle-problem.

Is there anybody using old SCOPE cards, i5/i7 sandybridge, p67 board, win7 64bit,
Are there no crackles?

Is there anybody using new XITE-1 XITE-1 D, i5/i7 sandybridge, p67 board, win7 64bit,
Are there crackles?
I can try some tests since I have i7-2600 systems, but I would need some more information.

Do you have crackles regarding playback, record or both? If record - on single track recording or multitrack recording?

I don't have Cubase/Nuendo, but I can try other software that support ASIO.
tonschieber

Post by tonschieber »

Hi Warp69,

crackles are always there, recording or playback, singletrack or multitrackrecording.
I'm curious about your experiences.
Sorry for my bad english
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Maybe http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30055 will help? Referring to Interrupt-Affinity Filter.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

So what does this software do?
Does it solve irq problems in any way (not reasigning them.. but somehow helping anyway??)

Thanks
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

tonschieber wrote:crackles are always there, recording or playback, singletrack or multitrackrecording.
I'm curious about your experiences.
I don't seem to have those issues.

Intel i7-2600
Win 7 64bit SP1
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
8GB Ram
Nvidia 580
Areca Raid

Tested ASIO with Audition - created a 4000 sec long sine and played that back while recording the result. No issues.

I do dislike the naming of the wave drivers in Win7...............................
astroman

Post by astroman »

I have the same board (but M instead of deluxe) and it perfermed extremely well regarding interrupts.
Had a Scope card in it that shared with the graphcard and the disk controller with no problems except for almost no PCI bandwidth.
As that was the 'killer' argument, I skipped a recording test... and dedicated it to video cutting and database stuff.
So I assume you used it with an XITE...

cheers, Tom
tonschieber

Post by tonschieber »

Hi Warp69,

thank you for testingtime and info:
Warp69 wrote:
I don't seem to have those issues.

Intel i7-2600
Win 7 64bit SP1
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
8GB Ram
Nvidia 580
Areca Raid

Tested ASIO with Audition - created a 4000 sec long sine and played that back while recording the result. No issues.

I do dislike the naming of the wave drivers in Win7...............................
Which sonic core hardware do you use?
Did you do tweaking the OS or Bios for better Performance?

best
T
Sorry for my bad english
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

I tested with a XITE. I also have a Lynx AES PCIe audio card installed.

I didn't tweaked the BIOS nor the OS since the SB platform is vastly different compared to previous generations and most BIOS tweaks doesn't apply to SB.

I did have an issue with Wave Destination (completely unusable - heavy buffer issues in the recordings), but I found out that was related to my use of Kaspersky AV 2011 - I need to deactivate Kasperky before starting any Scope related applications. No ASIO issues at all.

I placed the PCIe card above the graphic card otherwise it would have IRQ sharing with other devices (You will of course always have IRQ sharing with the PCIe bridge on the SB platform)
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Unfortunately I have to revise everything I said about a working system with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1.

I, too have clicks and pops with my system - I earlier reported that the issues I had was related to the use of Kaspersky - that's unfortunately not correct.

I have done extensive testing with 4 completely different setups :

- Mac Pro (early 2008) 8 cores 2.8GHz via Bootcamp
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
- 8GB Ram
- Lynx Studio AESe
- UAD2 Quad
- Nvidia 8800GS

- i7-2600K (SB)
- Asus P8P67 Deluxe
- 8GB Ram
- RME Raydat
- SSL Duende
- Areca Raid 1231
- Nvidia FX580

- i7-2600K (SB)
- Gigabyte UD5
- 8GB Ram
- SSD
- Asus Essence STX
- Nvidia FX470

- Q6700
- Asus P5W64 WS Pro
- 8GB Ram
- Lynx Studio AESe
- Nvidia 8800GTS

All of the above systems behaves exactly the same way with clicks/pops/distorted sound when using wave drivers in Win 7 Ult 64bit. I have striped all the above systems for any additional PCIe boards (UAD2, Duende, Lynx, RME etc) without any change. I have reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 on all the systems above - still the same issue on all setups. I have tried with all the different tweaks found on PlanetZ without any success.
tonschieber

Post by tonschieber »

Warp69 wrote:All of the above systems behaves exactly the same way with clicks/pops/distorted sound when using wave drivers in Win 7 Ult 64bit. I have striped all the above systems for any additional PCIe boards (UAD2, Duende, Lynx, RME etc) without any change. I have reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 on all the systems above - still the same issue on all setups. I have tried with all the different tweaks found on PlanetZ without any success.
Thank you Warp69 for your time.

I also tried to install the Scope Boards to a new System.

Get the 4th CPU now: CPU Intel i7 - 860 which got no sandybridge - but the biggest CPU-cooler I could finde - installed on an ASUS P7P55D-E.
There are still crackles too.
Bought a bigger powersupply too, will install that just right now.

Thanks to all doing experiences and sharing problems and solutions here.

Best
T
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am a moron obviously because I dont' understand why wave drivers are used.
Dont we want ASIO drivers for integration with DAW's and VSTi samplers...?
I had trouble at first until I figured out how to tweak the OS and mobo BIOS.
With 24GB's of RAM I had to undervolt from the SPD settings and use the XMProfile at 1333MHz instead of the advertised ( overclocked ) 1600 speeds.....other than that I am loving my XBox..

Why are wave drivers needed. Is it a 96k thing..?
dante

Post by dante »

I thought it was for apps like Wavelabs that dont talk ASIO - they only work with WAV drivers.