64bit Testing

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

64bit Testing

Post by dawman »

I have to say I really like the copy options we now have.
Below is an example.

In XP32bit SP3 I had to copy over 1700 dsp. files which was a major PITA.
I always had to say no..no..no..about 1700 times.
Now you can copy/paste, then the option box appears and you check the conflict box,
in the lower left of the window, then press don't copy ( which means do not overwrite the new files ) and watch the red progress bar.

Ankyuvarymush,
Untitled.JPG
maky325

Re: 64bit Testing

Post by maky325 »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I have to say I really like the copy options we now have.
Below is an example.

In XP32bit SP3 I had to copy over 1700 dsp. files which was a major PITA.
I always had to say no..no..no..about 1700 times.
Now you can copy/paste, then the option box appears and you check the conflict box,
in the lower left of the window, then press don't copy ( which means do not overwrite the new files ) and watch the red progress bar.

Ankyuvarymush,
Untitled.JPG
Hmm... i have XP SP3 and when i do that i just have to confirm once and that is all...It worked same in SP2 and SP1. I also have Win7 and i agree new option is nice but it does same thing as in XP.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I always had an issue where new dsp. files were getting overwritten by older ones.
But perhaps there was a better way to copy over older files to new ones I was unaware of.
If that's the case, I am happy that Windows 7 shows this feature without having to dig too much.
Rinse

Post by Rinse »

I believe you're talking about the "no to all" option missing in XP32 dialog box??

probably a few years to late with this great tip:

hold SHIFT when pressing NO responds as "NO to ALL" !!
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I use Beyond Compare to be able to see time-stamp and other data rather than just relying on what Windows 7 shows me.

Meanwhile I have the latest 64-bit beta running in a separate folder/install, with it's own default start at bootup and everything is running great.
VDAT and STS samplers don't work yet. I'm not using VSTim, so I haven't tested XTC mode (in Samplitude). But otherwise things are working well.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
at0m

Post by at0m »

In XP, I usually take the backward approach: I move the 'destination' apart, put the old ones in place, then overwite all with the new 'destination'. Single-click to confirm overwriting all old ones with the new versions.

That works for .dsp files, but I still need to wade through the other stuff, like modules, since I cannot resist putting them in my custom subtree...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dante

Post by dante »

In 5.1 XITE-1 beta are any of the devices ADSP-21369 optimised ? Or is it just to get Scope onto windoze64 ?
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

So this is ONLY a win64 scope version, right? I cant run it ón an xp machine?
Thanks
dante

Post by dante »

If it's XP 64 you can.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

dante wrote:In 5.1 XITE-1 beta are any of the devices ADSP-21369 optimised ? Or is it just to get Scope onto windoze64 ?
The native devices were DSP optimized a while ago in the pre 5.1 betas.

This latest 64-bit driver release has those optimizations.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dante

Post by dante »

siriusbliss wrote: The native devices were DSP optimized a while ago in the pre 5.1 betas.
Greg
Ok thanks. But (per Warp69's comments), theres still a couple of areas of XITE-1 optimisation for S|C to work on isn't there ?

1) XITE-1 devices taking advantage of onboard RAM (not sure if this means onboard the DSP chips themselves or on the XITE-1 board itself ?).

2) Automatic distribution of devices across multiple DSP's. Albeit most stock devices would run on a single DSP when fully optimised and maybe only some of the bigger 3rd party devices may be affected by this (?)
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

My understanding is the RAM is inside the new DSP chips (12 Chips)
Certianly I think there quite a bit of optimisation to go - probably in the third party area, but I get the odd DSP error from time to time on some of Sonic Core's devices. Manual DSP placement usually does the trick
Attachments
XITE_Insides.jpg
XITE_Insides.jpg (149.96 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
dante

Post by dante »

Ok thanks mausmuso, thats what I thought - more opto to go - great pic I've never seen inside of XITE-1 before.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

The picture came from a Germany magazine article I believe.
If you search the Z its posted here somewhere.
It might be a good picture to add to SCOPERISE as some point, although I don't know about copyright associated with using it?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

mausmuso wrote:My understanding is the RAM is inside the new DSP chips (12 Chips)
Certianly I think there quite a bit of optimisation to go - probably in the third party area, but I get the odd DSP error from time to time on some of Sonic Core's devices. Manual DSP placement usually does the trick
Recent email from Ralf mentions that all Scope native devices should have been optimized. I think only the 1632 mixer was not yet fully optimized, but that was several releases ago.

On Xite, the 3rd party devices mostly do OK until you start jamming in a ton of devices, and then the DSP-to-DSP error messages start happening (although you can still get the devices to load and work). Optimization of these will come after SC finishes 64-bit, and SDK stuff when the other developers can work on optimizing their devices.

Greg
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

mausmuso wrote:My understanding is the RAM is inside the new DSP chips (12 Chips)
Can't recall for sure, but my PCB experience (and if I recall earlier discussions correctly) makes me think that the RAM chips for the new DSP are on the bottom-side of the board.
I don't see the purpose in building RAM into DSP topology.

Greg
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

[quote="siriusbliss]Can't recall for sure, but my PCB experience (and if I recall earlier discussions correctly) makes me think that the RAM chips for the new DSP are on the bottom-side of the board.
I don't see the purpose in building RAM into DSP topology.

Greg[/quote]
Interesting, I seem to remember asking the RAM question sometime back and the answer was the RAM is built into the DSP chips. I guess it does'nt matter as long as it is there and it leads to better devices.
astroman

Post by astroman »

both is true - the DSPs have a certain amount of processing memory (on chip, like a CPU cache) and there's additional DRAM on the circuit board for 'extended' use.
On the former 21065 DSPs on-chip memory was really tight which lead to the situation that longer delays quickly ran out of juice and accessed the PC mobo's Ram. The infamous PCI bus load...
I don't have the figures at hand, but the new DSPs probably have enough local memory to handle every existing reverb plugin internally.
If more Ram is needed (for whatever purpose) it doesn't have to be requested from the host OS (and hardware) anymore - a big step imo.

cheers, Tom
dante

Post by dante »

astroman wrote:I don't have the figures at hand, but the new DSPs probably have enough local memory to handle every existing reverb plugin internally. cheers, Tom
Thats what I was wondering about - if reverbs happened completely inside the SHARCS. Guess the answer is Yes. The other reason for the question - just reaffirming that the platform hasnt yet reached its full potential - theres still juice left in the development tank performance wise. Coz thats the view I'm gonna push in ScopeRise.
mausmuso wrote:The picture came from a Germany magazine article I believe. If you search the Z its posted here somewhere. It might be a good picture to add to SCOPERISE as some point, although I don't know about copyright associated with using it?
You read my mind mausmuso - of course ! If its a copyright infringement though then we've already infringed :)
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

astroman wrote:The infamous PCI bus load...
I don't have the figures at hand, but the new DSPs probably have enough local memory to handle every existing reverb plugin internally.
If more Ram is needed (for whatever purpose) it doesn't have to be requested from the host OS (and hardware) anymore - a big step imo.
defo, particularly for "infamous" and "big step" words. Let's wait for da new sdk and the community be the judge. Not any big risks in saying it's already better than ever :wink: