Questions about the ExpressCard

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

auricle

Questions about the ExpressCard

Post by auricle »

I didn't want to totally hijack the laptop thread so I thought I'd start a new one :)

1) What connector type does the ExpressCard use to connect to the Xite-1? Is it HDMI like on the PCIe card?

2) If answer to 1 is yes, can I use my 5m HDMI cable that I'm currently using for the PCIe card or is there a length limit?

Cheers.
katano

Re: Questions about the ExpressCard

Post by katano »

1) No, it's a mini hdmi to hdmi just like todays digital cameras have
2) Therefore no, you can't use the same cable AND maximum cable lenght is about 1.8 meters for the express card, if I remember well.
auricle

Post by auricle »

katano wrote:1) No, it's a mini hdmi to hdmi just like todays digital cameras have
2) Therefore no, you can't use the same cable AND maximum cable lenght is about 1.8 meters for the express card, if I remember well.
Thanks Katano,

Damn, 1.8m isn't long enough for me :(
katano

Post by katano »

just ask S|C about the maximum lenght, maybe longer's possible...

btw here's a thread I started a while ago, you'll also find a pic of the cable an card I took back then:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28688

Cheers
auricle

Post by auricle »

katano wrote:just ask S|C about the maximum lenght, maybe longer's possible...

btw here's a thread I started a while ago, you'll also find a pic of the cable an card I took back then:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28688

Cheers
Cheers, Katano.

It looks like it could work quite well but 1.8m is not long enough for my setup unless I place the laptop ontop of the rack unit that houses the Xite-1 which wouldn't make it convenient for me.

I want to make my main DAW machine 64bit (for various reasons) and use another machine purely for running Xite-1 and have it connected to my main DAW via lightpipe. Laptop would be ideal if I could have a minimum of 3m.

Another idea I had was setting up a headless computer (without monitor, keyboard and mouse) and connect to it via VNC for any configuration or tweaking of settings.