New AUX Mixers

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Re: New AUX Mixers

Post by spacef »

Always check for DC offset in modular (not always needed with effects, but always better to check...).

Also inserts can have a slight delay (a few ms).

So the dry signal should also be managed by an insert in the picture example

(if you have BlackBox II, there is the "Dry pass" which is nothing but a pass through that can be loaded in an insert). That way, you avoid phasing that could be caused by having dry latency = 0ms and compressed latency = x ms... (i think it is somewhere around 3 ms more or less, i don't exactly remember my measures right now, can't find the file where i've written it down years ago... probably lost file).

But you could load any effect and use only the dry output (in a second insert module).

Makes me think the dry-pass insert could be a nice addition to the modular mixer when I finish the Stems/Routers v 1.04.
Then you can load it in the first insert of a MB7 Group channel, and the Vinco as second insert, and after setting the channel to "parallel" , you have dry/wet function in a single knob with the Crossfader, so it is confortable to set the right dry/wet balance (with one knob instead of two).
Last edited by spacef on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 25&start=0
I agree on the insert option.
Hey SapceF tonight your AUX tracks will be summed via the AES/EBU out of the XITE-1 into the Manley SLAM.
Hardware mastering guys don't like normalizing anything. They prefer limiting,and with the SLAM each channels has ELOP and FET Limiting.
It adds incredible power and punch.
You get a fast slope and a gradual slope combined on the same channel in varying amounts.
I can hardly wait.
Modular synth patches I have made sound so big and fat on the SSL/Manley combo which goes to 2" Ampex Tape. I am in heaven.
tjsound

Post by tjsound »

XITE1\4Live - How can you make such big projects with modular mixers ?? (I recently purchased it)
I was not able to create something more than 16 channels, I tried to assign and clean DSP, as you advised, but getting error messages anyway ...is the secret? :-?
XITE-1, Reaperx64...
spacef

Post by spacef »

If I understand well, there is a moment where you need to "clear the assignment so xite "remaps" the dsp ressources to max out some chips.
I don't understand clearly though (what i just said is from an old Jimmy's email, i don't know if it is still up to date).

This makes me think....
Are Xite project exchangeable from a user to another ?

Some users have sent me their Modular Mixer projects in picture already (click here for Gatam's project ), for the moment he is on Scope-pci.

but for the future, I was thinking "if i had xite, i could build projects and post them online". may be some xite users would like to share working projects (you can send them to me and i will post on thedownload areas: please only working stuff, as i cannot check/correct them).

Would it work ?
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

spacef wrote:If I understand well, there is a moment where you need to "clear the assignment so xite "remaps" the dsp ressources to max out some chips.
I don't understand clearly though (what i just said is from an old Jimmy's email, i don't know if it is still up to date).

This makes me think....
Are Xite project exchangeable from a user to another ?

Some users have sent me their Modular Mixer projects in picture already (click here for Gatam's project ), for the moment he is on Scope-pci.

but for the future, I was thinking "if i had xite, i could build projects and post them online". may be some xite users would like to share working projects (you can send them to me and i will post on thedownload areas: please only working stuff, as i cannot check/correct them).

Would it work ?
Xite projects can be interchanged between Xites IF obviously all the devices exist and are registered to both units.
Xite and PCI projects can sort of be interchanged, but some of the I/O and other things may have to be swapped in.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

I get better results with the ASIO I/O's and VDAT track counts ( 64 ) using version 2617.
I know certain things that 2619 fixed work better, but I need large Modular polyphony, and large VDAT tracks, so that's where I dwell.
I seem to top at at 127 I/O's no matter what I do, or which mixers I use.
All things aside. The XITE-1 for me is exactly how I can run Analog synths and Modular synths out of the AES/EBU into a Manley SLAM. So at this point all of the things that are troublesome in the XITE-1 I don't even need.
The STEM 167/MB7 are perfect for live, and for mastering I can operate in realtime through hardware and get incredible results.
The most excitement I have had in years is hearing ArtVista VGP2 Grand Piano out of the MB7 w/ the real Lexicon 480L into the SLAM using ELOP Limitings' slope. It sounded so good I tend to play simple ideas just to hear the incredible Lexicon. 8 Reverb Algo's w/ 6 ER's and 2 x small spaces. I can hardly play now using virtual verbs, its really depressing.
I am afraid I just might have to buy a Model 7 or PCM70 again.

We all have different needs, but here's my favorite set up for recording, that doubles perfectly well just using different presets for live work.
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG
spacef

Post by spacef »

I realize that the 247 was loading with the "solo mix" as default state, which could make you think it was bugged, when it was just a wrong default value.... apparently, xite didn't like to switch on direct mix at the begining of a project (as a user just reported to me).

Also, just in case it helps, I have also uploaded a 247 which loads with all bus sends "off dsp" except bus line 1.
It means it loads with less dsp needs (on Scope pci, it saves about 1.5 dsp = -50% approx), and users will be able to activate only the busses they needs as they go on with the project... may be it is better like that on xite. Let me know if the "247-all-off" , as it is called, helps. i can also deactivate some input channels completely if you think it would be needed, and do the same on other stems and bigger routers (eventhough they don't seem to need it... but if you want that, it's really not a problem).

the all-off version loads like that, and you activate bus send groups when you need them.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
tjsound

Post by tjsound »

"all bus sends "off dsp" - This brilliant Idea! 24 ch stereo fully worked. Lot of plugins e.t.c., All dsp on stem is "ON", no dsp assigment.
Attachments
pro.jpg
pro.jpg (131.54 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
XITE-1, Reaperx64...
spacef

Post by spacef »

yes! :-)
not having to assign dsp sounds very good :-)

ok now, you should delete the 247-all-off.dev from disk and update with Core install v 1.05.
The following devices have been changed as "all off" versions
-247.dev
-167.dev
-R247.dev
-R167.dev

They are now the default versions of the stems... Instead of having different stems and routers with "all-off" at the end of the name, I have decided that they would replace the regular versions so there is no need to decide between all-on / all-off versions, and the Stem folder looks better like that.
I didn't change the smaller routers (R124, G82) because they are quite light, but if you need them in "all-off" versions, don't hesitate to ask, it takes a few seconds to change those default values and re-save the device.

I have just tested on my own projects on Scope-pci, and the settings of the project are ok. It means that, on projects using the 1.04 versions, all busses that were active will be re-activated on project reload. On Scope it is not a problem. I hope it is not a problem on Xite. Otherwise, I think it is much better to replace the older stem with a newer one.

For more info about the 1.05 update:
http://www.spacef-devices.com/index.php ... &Itemid=18

I hope it solves all problems now :-)

have a very nice and xiting day !
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
tjsound

Post by tjsound »

Also I found some "packing algorithm" for asio projects:
from sourse to dest
1 load asio source -48 mono (24 stereo)
2 load channel module1 ( any, on the choice)
3 connect them
4 load channel mod2
5 connect to asio source and ch.mod.1
6 load stem 247
7 connect to channels
8 load master bus
9 connect to stem , xite outs, asio dest.
all worked good.
XITE-1, Reaperx64...
tjsound

Post by tjsound »

it works for instruments, too. i created fully worked project with modular mixer and instruments = 20 voise polyphony, 3 reverbs, 20 asio channels'
as I wrote - from source to dest., step by step connected.
first load instruments and asio sourse.
Attachments
20poly.jpg
20poly.jpg (235.03 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
XITE-1, Reaperx64...