XITE-1 for old Pulsar user

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

das97

XITE-1 for old Pulsar user

Post by das97 »

Hi
Its been a while since I've been here and I'm glad to see the community is still going strong. I'm looking to upgrade my system (currently Pulsar1+SRB, Cubase-SX3, A16-Ultra(v1), - Proteus2000, - DM-Pro, - and a couple Outboard Guitar PreAmps)

Mainly for songwriting and demoing, synths will get used but not so important. I always very much liked the quality of Pulsar but had been looking at
V-Studio 700 before seeing the XITE-1 which, I must admit has me excited and I'm close to going ahead with what looks like an awesom system.

I mainly used my pulsar for recording guitar based music. I don't use the synths very much (at the moment) but my daughter may. I just like the quality of the everything in the Scope environment.

I will be using the Superior Drums 2 vsti triggered by V-Drums and I'd like to have control over each part of the kit (more than that offered in the plugin) so would have each kit element coming back into Scope card. I don't use Cubase's effects, everything gets put back through the Scope mixers.

Has anybody any advice before I go ahead... and is anybody using a good control surface that works well with the Scope software?

Any advise or guidance will be appreciated before I go ahead

Dann
iSiStOy

Re: XITE-1 for old Pulsar user

Post by iSiStOy »

+1 to what Stardust exposed.
stardust wrote:Be aware that XITE is excellent quality but has to and will undergo further improvements of the SW - as it has been with scope PCI in the beginning.
So there are still inherited bugs and slips that expects your manual attention as a user.
I'd be more precise regarding this:
  • Optimization problems with "old" plugins. Depending on the plugs, it can become a problem...
  • Automatic Dsp assignment is a bit erratic. It goes quite smoothly here anyway, by the moment you know which dsps are the new ones and which are here for compatibility. Then, it's about experimenting. It's not yet clear about which devices are storing dsp assignments nor which modules takes assignment into account, but I know for sure that modular does.
  • DSP optimization box is clearly modelled on Vista Security mode behaviour :lol: : when you begin to go into it, you shall be clever enough to cancel it and go your own way manually.
  • Still asking to save project, even if you cautiously did just before asking for Scope to close or load a new one.
All the best

EDITED
Last edited by iSiStOy on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

We'd better inform people, particularly those who wanna jump into it without knowledge of what did go behing, imho...
dawman

Post by dawman »

I can also concur with the above statements especially when concerning 3rd Party Synths and Mixers.
Some have been successfully re structured to be used in the XITE-1, and even some that haven't can still be used. They seem to use too much DSP resources and it's up to the user to decide if he wants to include the device or not.
For what you want to do I can say you will be happy with the quality of sound.
I would use the STM2448 to process your Superior 2 sends.
I recently worked with a V-Drum rig and we triggered the Slate Drums and had to use Limiters on toms and the kicks, very powerful. But triggering Superior 2 would be even better as I have auditioned both and found Superior 2 to be more suited for V Drum triggering.
Slate Drums have equal sound but not near as many layers and control that Sup 2 has, especially for dynamics and V Drum triggering.
I am sure many might disagree with my choice of a controller surface, but I need something accessible while I am performing and the M Audio Keystation Pro 88 is an excellent mixture of zones, and matrix style surface controlling. The 88 has the ability to use it's surface controls for multiple destinations on different Channels simultaneously which makes it a dream for live performers.
The action is lame, just like every other controller out there.
But if you have been playing keyboards for a while the action is no biggie. I am use to sitting in, or playing a gig where there's already a rig or Grand Piano.
It does have good action for controlling velocity and works well with external and internal synths.
So for 350 bucks I won't be changing my choice anytime soon.
I was using a pair of A16 Ultras but the quality of my Analog synths using the 2 x XLR Inputs was so good I have decided that I won't be needing them except on the big jobs.
After using one for 10 months I have decided that Modular IV and Mixing is the XITE-1's strengths. To me the Modular creations are the most adaptable and best optimized devices for the XITE-1.
Wth the new Solaris being released sometime in April I will also route it's SP/DIF output into the XITE-1. That will negate the need for anything other than Modular and the B2003.
Congrats on Joining the club........ :wink:

FYI There are no " Discount Captors," 4 of us actually paid more just to have the units immediately.
Hopefully that will clear up the continued clouded vision coming outside of the dance floor in the Peanut Gallery.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

If tracking & recording is the direction you are headed, XITE is the way to go.
I use a pair of Behringer ADA8000 and the A16 Ultra (the Creamware one)
32 I/O in 4U....makes me want to scrap my (2) 24x8 hardware consoles...
Now off to the software...
The Mixers STM 2448 & 4896 are really nice (the 1632 is still a bit twitchy)
BCF2000 works great as a controller, and one developer has even migrated it to control the Modular (along with the BCR 2000) & is pretty popular among Scope users (PCI & XITE-1)
The EQs are just killer...from the parametric, 15 band graphic, the SL9000
Comps work great...very nice FX section....
Many goodies were added for 5.0 users & XITE users too.
The next release of 5.0 will have more surprises for XITE-1 owners... :wink:
Along with the synths, samplers, routing, and VDAT...it is a great combo.
If you can afford a Mackie control (or in my case...looking for a used Tascam US-2400 at a reasonable price)
These controllers work just fine....You might want to take a peek at the Euphonics desktop controllers too.
All in all......for the money...you just can't beat it...
There's my 2 cents.....I make peanut butter out of peanuts...... :wink:
Joel
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Pretty much +1 to what'all everyone else has said.

The 1632 is not yet optimized for Xite, but the other mixers are.
I've had no problems with everything else native to Scope in Xite.

Some of the synths can start acting up and start asking for optimization, but that's usually if you start getting carried away.
I've had NO crashes or lockups. Period.

So, for direct tracking/mic-recording, guitar input, multi-I/O in/out/thru Superior 2 (and other big multi I/O Rompler/samplers), it's been great.
I use Superior2's native internal routing out through a 2496 mixer as a sort of submix, and still have overhead to load two other mixers, effects, synths, and mastering plugiins such as bxDigital.

The Xite preamps are very good and clean on the front-end.

As you know, the current version of Scope is still a RELEASE CANDIDATE, so it's still evolving and will only get better with re: to optimization of legacy devices in the new environment.

Xite is still one of the best bang-for-buck investments in the industry at this point in time. It can only get better and evolve into bigger and better things.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
das97

Post by das97 »

Thank you for these informative replies. What I've read says that this is going to have to be a must. For what I need it for, I think it will be more than adequate and with plenty of room to grow. As I say, I was very pleased with what I had before. It is the STM mixers that appeal to me as well as the clean circuits and routing so I'm pleased to hear that all is good in that area. I'm happy to live with the evolution of the product. I was halfway there anyway, you've just helped me to make my mind up. Right.... onward ho and thanks again. :-)
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:For what you want to do I can say you will be happy with the quality of sound.
Definitively better sound quality than with previous boards AD/DAs, no doubt!
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I was using a pair of A16 Ultras but the quality of my Analog synths using the 2 x XLR Inputs was so good I have decided that I won't be needing them except on the big jobs.
Let's hope they rapidly produce new A16s with Xite converters.
siriusbliss wrote:The Mixers STM 2448 & 4896 are really nice (the 1632 is still a bit twitchy)
+1. Spacef mixers are working on Xite but they lack the optimization. Basically, the 3rd party developers lack a new SDK. And even if they get it, we still don't know if the change for Xite means a complete rework of these talented guys plugins...
das97 wrote:you've just helped me to make my mind up
I am sure you will enjoy that beast for it is actually the only affordable DSP solution on PCIe able to give us such quality, combined with flexibility :D

EDITED
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

+1
Joel
maky325

Post by maky325 »

iSiStOy wrote:
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:For what you want to do I can say you will be happy with the quality of sound.

EDITED
I am interested on how do you know that XITE is running different/better AD/DA converters then one found in ScopePRO for example? Do you have any paper or did you look inside your XITE or something? I am really curious about that 8)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

mpodrug wrote:
iSiStOy wrote:

EDITED
I am interested on how do you know that XITE is running different/better AD/DA converters then one found in ScopePRO for example? Do you have any paper or did you look inside your XITE or something? I am really curious about that 8)
Holger told me at NAMM that they switched to a different A/D in Xite, and I wrote down the chip number, but can't find it at the moment.
I edited out his part of the video interview I did at NAMM, since we later felt it was revealing too much inside information at the time.
All heresay I know, but there it is. :roll:

It also comes down to how well the A/D circuit is laid out on the PCB. Tricky buggers as they are - take it from someone who's laid out A/D's on PCB's many times. Not trivial.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Got it. Thanks..