MIC/DI Connection

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dubcotics

MIC/DI Connection

Post by dubcotics »

Hi xiters!

I suppose that you've got to plug your instrument in, cause that's where the sound would be comingo from > load the MIC DI Source module, > get " signal " lighted > Phantom on if necessary, in this case, yes ,

But nothing happens, at least you should see signal light on when you load the MIC DI Source module,

What the hell I m I doing here, or I m I being stupid :roll:
dawman

Re: MIC/DI Connection

Post by dawman »

Make a loop from the MIC DI Source Modules' left output directly to the Headphone Destination module and see if you get sound.
I used mine w/o any difficulties.
I recently tried the Analog I/O's and was surprised at thier quality.
On the cards I thought the Analog I/O's were awful, and naturally this caused the A16U's to be purchased.
I find the quality good enough that I can save the A16U for jobs where I use the XITE-1 as a PA/FOH and maybe even shrink down to a 2U.....
Let me know what happens..
And I have no idea what the MIC DI Destination is for....... :-?
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

It's no dumb assumption S|C will do new A16 with Xite ad/da "soon" imho.
I hope for a discount price for A16U owners :P
pollux

Post by pollux »

dubcotics wrote:Hi xiters!

I suppose that you've got to plug your instrument in, cause that's where the sound would be comingo from > load the MIC DI Source module, > get " signal " lighted > Phantom on if necessary, in this case, yes ,

But nothing happens, at least you should see signal light on when you load the MIC DI Source module,

What the hell I m I doing here, or I m I being stupid :roll:
Hi,

what are you plugging in? an instrument, or a mic?
If it's an instrument, the HI-Z button should be pushed.
Also, in order to get the signal light to go green, the gain should be correctly set, using the gain knob.

Cheers
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi,

what are you plugging in? an instrument, or a mic?
If it's an instrument, the HI-Z button should be pushed.
Also, in order to get the signal light to go green, the gain should be correctly set, using the gain knob.

Cheers
Yep sounds like you need to use the knob to increase the input amplification.
With all due respect! Please , no lessons on how to use preamps. I have an Avalon M5 , you know ? Pure class A preamp. So, I pretty well know how to handle them :D

didier,
dawman

Post by dawman »

:lol:

I bet you don't have a mic pre destination or phone destination module though 'eh.
You won't be needing the mic pres since you have the Avalon but running instruments direct into the XITE-1 works fine. I put it on par with 600-1000 priced USD models....
pollux

Post by pollux »

dubcotics wrote: With all due respect! Please , no lessons on how to use preamps. I have an Avalon M5 , you know ? Pure class A preamp. So, I pretty well know how to handle them :D
With all due respect, if you don't give much details about the steps you are doing, we can only guess in order to help :)
BTW, the fact of having a piece of gear, doesn't mean that one knows how to handle it... My guitars can prove that :lol:
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

With all due respect, if you don't give much details about the steps you are doing, we can only guess in order to help :)
BTW, the fact of having a piece of gear, doesn't mean that one knows how to handle it... My guitars can prove that :lol:

I was just emphasizing on the fact that owning a preamp, specially the one I have, pretty much gives you an idea of how a preamp might work. See, all the features implemented on the Xite preamps are also available on the Avalon M5 , Hi -Z for instruments, POLARITY , PAD, PHANTOM 48 V switch and more.
Hi xiters!

I couldn't be more clearer than this, perhaps my english is not that good

Now , I've plugged my Kawai MR370 , obviously made the necessary steps as I would with the Avalon but in this case with the xite-1 preamp.

So I've raised the volume of my Kawai, loaded the MIC/ DI source in the project window, connected it to the mixer, phantom switched on , hi-z switched on as is it an instrument , gain turned half it's max level. Now signal led is blinking when playing every thing seems normal so far, but it sounds so low , I don't think I have hearing problems cause I can tell the difference between what I can acheive with the avalon and what's coming out from the xite preamps.

I m I missing something here :roll:
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Ähhhm.The kawai is a clavinet right? Why do you turn on Phantom power or high z? Phantom power is for condenser mic´s and high z for guitars(high impedanz input).I would guess the kawai spits out line level... :wink: It sounds so low because the preamp is expecting a high 1 mega ohm load on the input.Turn off high z and phantom power.
pollux

Post by pollux »

dubcotics wrote: I couldn't be more clearer than this, perhaps my english is not that good

Now , I've plugged my Kawai MR370 , obviously made the necessary steps as I would with the Avalon but in this case with the xite-1 preamp.

So I've raised the volume of my Kawai, loaded the MIC/ DI source in the project window, connected it to the mixer, phantom switched on , hi-z switched on as is it an instrument , gain turned half it's max level. Now signal led is blinking when playing every thing seems normal so far, but it sounds so low , I don't think I have hearing problems cause I can tell the difference between what I can acheive with the avalon and what's coming out from the xite preamps.

I m I missing something here :roll:

You should not switch HI-Z on, since the MR370's out is line level. HI-Z is for plugging in instruments like a guitar or a bass. :)
Phantom power is useless in this case. It's used for powering some types of mics and DI boxes
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

The Kawai MR370 is an electric piano, ofcours it's got it's own line that you can plug directly to any monitor , whether amplified or not. Look I've been using this instrument for years and I know how to connect it.

Connecting it to the MIC/DI does not sound at all , unless you switch phantom and hi-z, then it would sound , but you have to raise its gain in order to get some signal from xite preamps. Since my english is not good, perpahs I should put a video on you tube for you to understand what I'm talking about, but it will be in french or spanish,

regards,

didier,
pollux

Post by pollux »

dubcotics wrote:The Kawai MR370 is an electric piano, ofcours it's got it's own line that you can plug directly to any monitor , whether amplified or not. Look I've been using this instrument for years and I know how to connect it.

Connecting it to the MIC/DI does not sound at all , unless you switch phantom and hi-z, then it would sound , but you have to raise its gain in order to get some signal from xite preamps. Since my english is not good, perpahs I should put a video on you tube for you to understand what I'm talking about, but it will be in french or spanish,

regards,

didier,
mr370_back.PNG
mr370_back.PNG (29.25 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
This is a line level output. It does NOT need phantom power, and it's NOT high impedance.
The HI-Z, and Phantom buttons should be "out" (not pressed), and (usually for hot line sources) the Pad button should be "in" (pressed).

If at half gan settings, you get the green light on, and you get a good signal level in your DAW or the mixer, then everything is Ok, and I don't see why are we arguing :D
Mind that whatever is controlling the output level of the XITE (mixer, control room) will affect the volume of what you hear on your monitors

The Avalon might have higher gain than the XITE, so maybe at similar positions of tha gain knob, the output is hotter.
But normally, if you plug the output of your avalon to one of the balanced analog inputs of the XITE (on the back, not the preamped ones on the front), and then you set the avalon gain so that you have the same input level as you have with the XITE preamp, you should hear the same thing on the monitors.

BTW.. nothing's wrong with your english :D Would be more that it's friday afternoon and my brain doesn't work at normal speed :D
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Are you using the propper cables? They need to be Stereo or "Balanced".If not you will loose 6 db.No idea about the avalon but engaging high z and phantome at the same time is wrong.Its a line level out.And you would only need the pad on the mic in of the xite.Driving 48 volts into a line out isnt such a good idea at all.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

OK, I just tested the FRONT PANEL hi-z with my guitar as well as basic direct mic input - plugged the mic/DI module into the 2496 mixer to simple analog output, and it's working OK here.

I still don't understand why you're not getting good levels until I do some more tests with other external analog sources coming in front AND back panels.

So, you're getting similar issues with other instruments as well?

hmmmmm..... strange...

Greg

p.s. and there's no problem with your English :wink:
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

Glad to see you got this working.