ExpressCard arrived :-)

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

katano

Re: ExpressCard arrived :-)

Post by katano »

Jimmy, click the green percentage sign in the dsp meter and see what happens :wink:

I never really understood those dsp numbers, and I even don't care, if all works well...

btw, the reason i load all my effects within the stm2448 is very simple. that way i've just to save the global mixer preset and all effect and device settings (apart from dynatube) are saved within the stm preset. Else i would have to load all the different presets of the devices for each song I mix, not very comfortable...

Cheers,
Roman
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Below I have the STM2448 on DSP 8.
Celmos Tape Sim & Vintage Pro Delay on DSP 10.
DAS D Verb on DSP 12.
The MCCY Flu_Liq on DSP 14.
STM Plate X on DSP 16.
The widely worshipped Phase 18 on DSP 18 ( which I have running through a Modular Insert w/ dual Noise Gates......works perfect for silencing the inherent hiss. )

Very interresting...
But the thing which could bother me, it is that with an manual optimized project by assigning every device to dsp, we risk not to be able to reload the same project (a lot of optimization message) the next time, no ? As the dsp assignment is not saved within the project file.
How do you do to be sure to load your project next time and to not fall on infinite optimization messages ?

I think SC should give us much more Xite dsp information. For example, I never understood very well the dsp meters as well. And now that it seems important, I'd like to have more explaination.

----------------------------------------------------An Xite manual would be very welcome----------------------------------
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:The widely worshipped Phase 18 on DSP 18 ( which I have running through a Modular Insert w/ dual Noise Gates......works perfect for silencing the inherent hiss. )
Hiss? What hiss? 8)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am sorry Bro I always use words that aren't precise.
The inherent phaser sound sweeping when high feedback levels are used.
Its a good thing as that is a key component when audio is being affected, but when no audio goes through a phaser the sweep is always detecable.
You have actually managed to emulate an analog rack or pedal, so this is not a complaint but an endorsement of the device....... :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

JoPo wrote: Very interresting...
But the thing which could bother me, it is that with an manual optimized project by assigning every device to dsp, we risk not to be able to reload the same project (a lot of optimization message) the next time, no ? As the dsp assignment is not saved within the project file.
How do you do to be sure to load your project next time and to not fall on infinite optimization messages ?
I have certain Modular shells and effects like Celmos delays that remember the assignments so I am sure the same freaky way these work can be applied in time to everything. The XITE-1 is a never ending surprise and I can't keep from experiementing as many oddities are very useful if they are reproducable.
I am building an entirely new project using the STM2448 now as for some reason that mixer uses such a small amount of DSP.
I can proove this by seperating the effects as I did above, I do this for isolating certain effects and devices to see how they interact. But I always clear the assignment so they can be spanned or do whatever the XITE-1 decides upon reloading the project, so far it's prooving to be a great test project, but Katanos extremely low DSP figures baffle the shit out of me.. :-?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Katanos extremely low DSP figures baffle the shit out of me.
Yeah ! His PC must stick out its tongue !

Thanks, Jimmy I'll try all those dsp tricks.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's a fresh re load of the project, I swear I didn't touch a thing, I just woke up and was surpised to see this..........
I usually have the numbers all piled together with no repeatable prodecures.
I personally do not care if I have to fiddle around with poly, etc.
I am only concerned if it works and has a crash free session while I gig.
This is one of the main reasons I use DSP. It's stability, quality of sound, and presets load in real time.
Otherwise sure, I would love a slightly weaker quality of VSti's and tons of load times to save thousands of dollars.
But I am not the indoor type.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

katano wrote:Jimmy, click the green percentage sign in the dsp meter and see what happens :wink:
As Katano said, you might find you have the same numbers for dsp 10 if you click on the small % at the top of the dsp bar.
I also asked myself what exactly this small % figure means exactly...
eliam

Post by eliam »

I'm drooling...
dawman

Post by dawman »

There's a prime example of why several heads are better than one.
I see the percentage icon works and it also tells me we are hardly using any DSP.
So obviously if the STM2448 can be optimized like this we are in for some HUGE surpises this year.
Hell I was already happy so anything from this point on is pure gravy....
The numbers I calculate means the STM2448 uses 10% of a DSP chip when loaded in its default state.
This equates to a single DSP chip on the cards. This is insane.
In theory just using the new DSP chips I could load 128 STM2448's........ :lol:
Like I'd ever need that.
But Intel and AMD use these synthetic benchs to sell their CPU"s..
I wonder what sick Modular creations we will be making after Assafs classes. By this August we will have our diplomas and be asking for 24 in and 24 out Modular Shells with CV capabilities for external analog hardware filters , etc.
Ankyu
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

What about the Mv´s test?
katano

Post by katano »

lagoausente wrote:What about the Mv´s test?
well, i didn't try, because it's absolutely senseless now with xite. nevertheless, i tried to load as max as possible SC Ambience X (formally known as STW A/100 from Warp) and i was able to load about 25 before the distribution between dsps couldn't be done anymore. everyone knows this is a quite demanding device, especially on the pci cards... so for masterverb, my guess would be about hundred.

important is, no more pci bandwith errors, no matter if pci-e or express card...

Cheers
Roman
Last edited by katano on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

katano wrote:
lagoausente wrote:What about the Mv´s test?
well, i didn't try, because it's absolutely senseless now with xite. nevertheless, i tried to load as max as possible SC Ambience X (formally known as STW A/100 from Warp) and i was able to load about 25 before the distribution between dsps couldn't be done anymore. everyone knows this is a quite demanding device, especially on the pci cards... so for masterverb, my guess would be about hundred.

important is, no more pci bandwith errors, no matter if pci-card or express card...

Cheers
Roman
That´s awesome, Mvs test obsolete for Xite :) . I want one.
garyb

Post by garyb »

...so you DID buy an XITE!
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

stardust wrote:According to Ralf from SC the reason is that any reverb is using Xite's onboard memory and not anymore the system RAM.

That explains to me why the PCI(e) load is not the bottleneck anymore and makes MV test obsolete.

XITE reaches a limit by excessive use of internal connections between the DSPs.
Try 96kHzsamplerate and load QWave and a STW reverb to see what I mean.

So clever handling of DSP assignment is required and possible.
The same is aplied to the STS samplers? Or don´t you know?
Any of you that own the Xite, can load in STS more than 700mb of samples in total?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

lagoausente wrote:
stardust wrote:According to Ralf from SC the reason is that any reverb is using Xite's onboard memory and not anymore the system RAM.

That explains to me why the PCI(e) load is not the bottleneck anymore and makes MV test obsolete.

Any of you that own the Xite, can load in STS more than 700mb of samples in total?
The STS still hasn't been updated (for Scope 5 OR Xite), so it still has the 1 Gig 'ceiling' (AFAIK).
There's a whole other thread re: the STS.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

stardust wrote:
garyb wrote:...so you DID buy an XITE!
How do you conclude ? :D
I might just have access to ;)

....so you have access to an XITE!
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

:D I'm still waiting for it (f...g customs) but I more & more get the feeling I'm going to like it!
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

siriusbliss wrote:
lagoausente wrote:

The STS still hasn't been updated (for Scope 5 OR Xite), so it still has the 1 Gig 'ceiling' (AFAIK).

Greg
Ok, I suspected that, but in relation with the pci bandwith? does it use the onboard memory?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

lagoausente wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:

Greg
Ok, I suspected that, but in relation with the pci bandwith? does it use the onboard memory?
I don't know, but I doubt it.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3