ExpressCard arrived :-)

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

iSiStOy

Re: ExpressCard arrived :-)

Post by iSiStOy »

:D I'm still waiting for it (f...g customs) but I more & more get the feeling I'm going to like it!
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

siriusbliss wrote:
lagoausente wrote:
stardust wrote:According to Ralf from SC the reason is that any reverb is using Xite's onboard memory and not anymore the system RAM.

That explains to me why the PCI(e) load is not the bottleneck anymore and makes MV test obsolete.

XITE reaches a limit by excessive use of internal connections between the DSPs.
Try 96kHzsamplerate and load QWave and a STW reverb to see what I mean.

So clever handling of DSP assignment is required and possible.
The same is aplied to the STS samplers? Or don´t you know?
Any of you that own the Xite, can load in STS more than 700mb of samples in total?
The STS still hasn't been updated (for Scope 5 OR Xite), so it still has the 1 Gig 'ceiling' (AFAIK).
There's a whole other thread re: the STS.

Greg
Ok, I suspected that, but in relation with the pci bandwith? does it use the onboard memory?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

lagoausente wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:
The STS still hasn't been updated (for Scope 5 OR Xite), so it still has the 1 Gig 'ceiling' (AFAIK).
There's a whole other thread re: the STS.

Greg
Ok, I suspected that, but in relation with the pci bandwith? does it use the onboard memory?
I don't know, but I doubt it.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Well, the expresscard has just arrived direct from Sonic Core, so thanks to Holger for sorting that out so fast for me. Anyway was just about to install scope 5 for XITE-1 on my laptop and then remembered that I only have Windows 7 64bit on there....DOH!!

Thought it was worth a try all the same but no go and it wont run in compatibility mode either so now am in the process of installing Win 7 x86 on another partition, and with any luck will be able to check out XITE-1 in a short while.

Hopefully they will release 64bit soon though :)

Will let you know how I get on later
doktorfuture

Post by doktorfuture »

The dsp systems use memory that is attached to them, and no main system ram.

This ram is often dedicated to each chip, which means that there is a max addressable amount of ram.

This ram us used to hold the algorihms as well as buffers for things like delays, reverbs, and samples. All this stays on the dsp subsystem and doesn't use your pci bus.

There will be dsp io processes to handle routing audio to the CPU via the computers bus. Also there will be some disk io bridge functions that communicate with the scope software to access the disk.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

doktorfuture wrote:The dsp systems use memory that is attached to them, and no main system ram.

This ram is often dedicated to each chip, which means that there is a max addressable amount of ram.

This ram us used to hold the algorihms as well as buffers for things like delays, reverbs, and samples. All this stays on the dsp subsystem and doesn't use your pci bus.

There will be dsp io processes to handle routing audio to the CPU via the computers bus. Also there will be some disk io bridge functions that communicate with the scope software to access the disk.
That´s cool, that means full expresscard and pcie bandwith for multichannel Asio.. isn´t, that at least, will be lots of channels.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

lagoausente wrote:
doktorfuture wrote:The dsp systems use memory that is attached to them, and no main system ram.

That´s cool, that means full expresscard and pcie bandwith for multichannel Asio.. isn´t, that at least, will be lots of channels.
Yes, at least 64-channels of ASIO.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Just as a point of comparison, what's the maximum with the PCI cards (on a good motherboard etc)?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

capacitor wrote:Just as a point of comparison, what's the maximum with the PCI cards (on a good motherboard etc)?
I'm getting 64ASIO with Samplitude on my PCI system.

Greg
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Thank you. :)