I would like to make an announcement.....

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

auricle

I would like to make an announcement.....

Post by auricle »

.....that after many weeks waiting, I finally holding the Xite-1 in my hands! YAY!!!! :D

I've just got to hang on until I can go home from work and install this puppy.....this is going to be a looooong day!!
garyb

Re: I would like to make an announcement.....

Post by garyb »

done!
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Congrats :D
auricle

Post by auricle »

Thanks guys! :)

Aah, the suspense is killing me!
rhythmaster

Post by rhythmaster »

enjoy!!
XITE-1, Cubase Pro 10.5 - WIN 10 64-bit
http://www.seismofunk.com
dawman

Post by dawman »

You should have the keys before Christmas and be up and rolling........ :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Congrats To Moscow, and Maria...
And a fine Lass to put up with endless hours of programming...
auricle

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:You should have the keys before Christmas and be up and rolling........ :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Congrats To Moscow, and Maria...
And a fine Lass to put up with endless hours of programming...
Yeah, thanks :)

Yes, Maria is a champion as she does very well putting up with me. Mind you, I just think she's relieved that I don't go out getting drunk on vodka and chat up the other gorgeous Russian women :P

Right, I've got it installed and I'm up and running. I had a bit of trouble at first as I installed the PCIe card into the PCIe x1 slot which caused several crashes and system hangs. I then tried it in the PCIe x4 slot and it seems to be running okay so far (touch wood).

I'm trying to get my head around the whole Scope concept. I notice that I have to have the project window open before a sequencer even recognises that the Xite-1 is installed. I must remember to open the project window before the sequencer!!

I quickly tried some of the synths - wow! I can see what you guys are saying now! It's FAT with a capital PH! It'll take me ages to try everything properly but so far I'm really impressed.

I have a couple of questions, though (probably the first of many!).

1) In a sequencer (eg Ableton Live) how can I route some native plugins to different channels of Scope's mixer i.e. do all the mixing in Scope with Scope effects. At the moment, Live can only see the two outputs of the Xite-1 so that is all I can route to.

2) How can I do an audio mixdown to a stereo file when I have native plugins and Scope plugins running at the same time?

Cheers guys! :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

would you like to arrange a time to talk via skype? i'd be happy to show you around the routing window....
auricle

Post by auricle »

garyb wrote:would you like to arrange a time to talk via skype? i'd be happy to show you around the routing window....
Wow, thanks Gary that's really kind of you. I am on Skype but unfortunately I'm going to bed now - it's about midnight here in Moscow. Perhaps over the weekend if you are about?

I've think I've answered my own first question about more outputs in the sequencer. I double-clicked on the ASIO source and added more outputs and they appeared in the sequencer :)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

auricle wrote:
garyb wrote:would you like to arrange a time to talk via skype? i'd be happy to show you around the routing window....
Wow, thanks Gary that's really kind of you. I am on Skype but unfortunately I'm going to bed now - it's about midnight here in Moscow. Perhaps over the weekend if you are about?

I've think I've answered my own first question about more outputs in the sequencer. I double-clicked on the ASIO source and added more outputs and they appeared in the sequencer :)
Congrats on all the Xitement...

Yes, Live should see all the ASIO channels.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

auricle wrote:

sure, pm me.....but it sounds like you have it under control.
auricle

Post by auricle »

Well, I had great first impressions so far. I just need to get used to the new workflow and the loss of 'integration' between plugins and daw - although the new XTC mode should help there (if I decide to use it, I haven't tried it yet). I think the general idea of treating Scope and it's plugins as hardware is completely accurate.

I still have a couple of questions if someone would be kind enough to answer :)

1) I still need to know how to route a complete mixdown to a single stereo file including Scope plugins and native

2) Is it possible for one plugin to modulate another? In this I mean would it be possible to use an envelope generator in Modular to modulate filter cutoff in Minimax, for example (by routing MIDI?).

Thanks!!

p.s. You guys rawk! :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

1. an easy way is to just route the mixer's main mix out back into the sequencer on a new stereo track. alternatively, you could route to a tape deck, a dat machine, or another program using asio drivers for the sequencer and wav drivers(modules) for the other program.

2. yeah, i think so....

remember, the asio source and destination ARE the audio jacks for the sequencer. you can connect them any way you please, EXCEPT you must have the asio modules in the routing window with the proper number of i/o channels BEFORE you open the sequencer. if you change the number of ports or type of asio driver, you must close the sequencer FIRST, and then reopen it to enable the changes in the sequencer. the sequencer must be closed BEFORE scope.
auricle

Post by auricle »

Thanks for the tips, Gary.

Thanks, a stereo out of Scope to a stereo track in the daw seems like the most straightforward way. I'll give it a go.

I learned about the ASIO output assignment last night as I was messing about with Live. I changed the output config, changed the latency, etc and Live lost the 'connection' to the Scope ASIO driver. I just had to restart the audio engine from within Live and everything was okay again.

Thanks again, more questions to follow :P
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

"Is it possible for one plugin to modulate another? In this I mean would it be possible to use an envelope generator in Modular to modulate filter cutoff in Minimax, for example (by routing MIDI?)."

Yup.

If you have a look here i have posted a picture how to easily send midi from generators to other synths/effects.

I use Flexor though, don't know if it is shipping for Xite yet put im pretty sure it will, and you being a modular guy will love it :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
dawman

Post by dawman »

And that is one of the best tips for Modular.
A shining moment for Brotha' Man Next To Nothing.. :wink:
One does not need an XITE-1 to give out excellent tips here.
I love seeing the sheer amount of help offered to get newbies to Scope going.
When I need to be depressed, I go to Cubase.net where one question gets 5 different answers, and then those 5 people start arguing like Hong Kong'ers giving out short cuts for traffic jams................Sheezus.. :roll:
auricle

Post by auricle »

Wow, thanks!! That's wonderful. With that trick it would be possible to send the MIDI back to the sequencer to control parameters of native plugins :)

Thanks NTN!
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, with Scope, your world just got bigger....
auricle

Post by auricle »

Yes, I'm still trying to get my head around it :)

I have a couple more questions!

1) Is Adern Flexor compatible with Scope 5?

2) Can I have more than one MIDI IN 'port' from the sequencer in Scope? I would like to have 16 channels for controlling synths and another 16 for Mixer/effect automation.

Thanx!
garyb

Post by garyb »

1. yes, afaik.

2. all midi ports have 16 channels.....but yes, you can have multiple sequencer midi source/dest modules, 1, 2 ,3...the rules are the same as with asio. they must be in place BEFORE opening the sequencer and the sequencer must be closed before changes can be made(you can always connect/disconnect from those ports as you see fit, just as with jacks on hardware).