Xite-1 and Dell?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

katano

Xite-1 and Dell?

Post by katano »

Hi all

As some of you may have noticed, I'm the lucky one who got the first ever second hand xite-1 8)
Well, it's not yet in my hands, but will be soon :)

I just discovered that my good old Dell 5000 only has 1 PCIe-slot, which of course is occupied by the graphic card. So I need to buy a new computer...
Is there someone using xite-1 with a current Dell and is it working well?
I'd prefer to go with Dell because I have serious discounts as my company is a Dell reseller.

Any advice or tips much appreciated!

Cheers
Roman
Neutron

Re: Xite-1 and Dell?

Post by Neutron »

No reason it should be any different from another machine or home built, They do a lot of testing which you cant really do yourself, especially with the business oriented models. its still the same chipset and other components as in everything else.

What i would NOT buy from them is your high capacity hard drive and extra memory, they tend to be expensive for "upgrade" stuff.

We have dells at work, workstations, render nodes, servers and drive arrays. the few times that there are any problems the service has been fantastic.

you could probably call them or use their online chat thingy to make sure the model you are getting has the right expansion slots you need.
katano

Post by katano »

Thanks Neutron,

I found a good offer for an Optiplex 780, i wonder if this chipset will do the job with xite-1:
Intel® Q45 Express-Chipset with ICH10DO

Also, it has 1x PCIe x16, 1x PCIe x1 and 2 PCI slots. Xite-1 is PCIe x1, isn't it?

And is this graphic card over the top?
256MB ATI Radeon 3470 (Full Height, DP Dual Display output, DVI-D Adapter)

Sorry, so many questions :-) Thanks
Roman
garyb

Post by garyb »

i think the nvidia cards are more trouble-free in general, but i can't imagine that that ati card would be a problem. i would expect the computer to work.
David

Post by David »

Ask Soniccore as they have tested Xite on many motherboard and computer combinations and can give you the best advice.

Also SpaceF has posted an Xiting Hardware Directory here -> http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28223
Approximate reading time: 1 minute
katano

Post by katano »

Solved, Scope Xite-1 is up and running, yeeeee-haaaa...

Lucky me, my old and cheapo Dell Inspiron 5000 has a pci-e x1 slot, it's so tiny that i didn't recognise it until now.

Xite-1 works like a charm, the only thing that bothers me is that I have to rebuild all my freaking recording and mixing projects...
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

you mean you can't load your old projects?
katano

Post by katano »

Gordon Gekko wrote:you mean you can't load your old projects?
I'm able to load them, but it is be a mess with i.e. the stm mixers and other old devices, as they are now a x-version. If I load the old project in Xite, the old non xite mixer is loaded... hmmm, maybe i should rename the path to the old installation, so there won't be any valid references to old devices anymore. thanks for the poke :-)

Cheers
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

yummy, keep us posted :)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

katano wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:you mean you can't load your old projects?
I'm able to load them, but it is be a mess with i.e. the stm mixers and other old devices, as they are now a x-version. If I load the old project in Xite, the old non xite mixer is loaded... hmmm, maybe i should rename the path to the old installation, so there won't be any valid references to old devices anymore. thanks for the poke :-)

Cheers
Most of my older projects seemed to load the x-modules perfectly when opening (i.e. mixers, etc.).
Seems that having the Scope 5 on it's own install made it easier for Scope to find the modules.

This left only the distinct modules carried over from PCI (such as Pulsar and Scope Pro hardware I/O to swap in with Xite I/O modules).

But then, I also have less physical I/O with just Xite running alone, than with the PCI cards. :)

So, yeah, you're right - a little bit of rebuilding of projects for Xite, but in general not too painful.

re: the Dells - I use them, and am even typing on a little Dell netbook (good ol' Atom processors - gotta love 'em). Nevertheless, in general the Dells I've used (for work, etc.) have been good performers overall.

Next investment for my Xite will probably be a laptop though...

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
katano

Post by katano »

got a laptop already, a Dell Precision M4400 but unfortunately, the express card is still not available...
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Tell me about it :lol: