The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

auricle

Re: A couple more Xite questions

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:
IMG_1979.jpg
Wow, thanks for the pic!

:( 4ft isn't long enough for me. Is it a standard cable or a proprietary one?
pollux

Post by pollux »

auricle wrote: :( 4ft isn't long enough for me. Is it a standard cable or a proprietary one?
I think the best would be for you to contact S|C support regarding this issue...
auricle

Post by auricle »

I sent an email to Holger and he replied within a couple of hours (a very nice guy!).

He said that the cable is a standard HDMI cable - available at any computer or audio/visual store. Lengths of up to 10m have been tested but the shorter the better, of course.

Very good news! :)
xite knight

Post by xite knight »

auricle wrote:My rack is quite a distance from my computer (about 4m) and I'm worried it won't reach.
Mine too. I'm using a Supra HF100 HDMI cable that's 4 meters long, and I haven't had issues.

http://www.cable-shop.co.uk/product.php ... hdmi-cable

You may be ok with a cheaper cable though..
Cheers
auricle

Post by auricle »

xite knight wrote:
auricle wrote:My rack is quite a distance from my computer (about 4m) and I'm worried it won't reach.
Mine too. I'm using a Supra HF100 HDMI cable that's 4 meters long, and I haven't had issues.

http://www.cable-shop.co.uk/product.php ... hdmi-cable

You may be ok with a cheaper cable though..
Thanks for that, knight. That's reassuring to know.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Many might disagree with me on this topic, but occassionally I get to go to Granny's House as we call it, and it's an incredible studio A, B, C & D rooms.
I noticed there were using all Gold Neutrik for Analog and Zaolla Silverline for anything Digital.
I use good old regular Mogabi Digital and Monster Gold audio, but for a project studio using HDMI or anything digital where the least amount of noise can work it's way into the system the Zaolla are worth their weight in Gold especially at longer lengths.
Zaolla_RetailCatalog_Oct08.pdf
auricle

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Many might disagree with me on this topic, but occassionally I get to go to Granny's House as we call it, and it's an incredible studio A, B, C & D rooms.
I noticed there were using all Gold Neutrik for Analog and Zaolla Silverline for anything Digital.
I use good old regular Mogabi Digital and Monster Gold audio, but for a project studio using HDMI or anything digital where the least amount of noise can work it's way into the system the Zaolla are worth their weight in Gold especially at longer lengths.
Zaolla_RetailCatalog_Oct08.pdf
Thanks for that. I agree that good quality interconnects are vital but I don't think I can stretch nearly $1000 for a 15ft cable :D

I'll try a standard one to begin with and if it's problematic I'll try one of the more expensive options.
Musician

Post by Musician »

auricle wrote:To be honest, I can't really say what would work for me most, XTC mode or 'native' so to speak.
If the flexibility is as good as what Pollux is implying (and my questions above are positively answered) then I can't really see why I would need XTC mode.
I use scope mode for tracking, and XTC mode for mixing. In XTC mode I can control plugins with the control surface, just like any native plugins, and it's easier to have a single screen to deal with.

Whats that control surface you use with XITE1 XTC mode ?
pollux

Post by pollux »

Musician wrote:
auricle wrote:To be honest, I can't really say what would work for me most, XTC mode or 'native' so to speak.
If the flexibility is as good as what Pollux is implying (and my questions above are positively answered) then I can't really see why I would need XTC mode.
I use scope mode for tracking, and XTC mode for mixing. In XTC mode I can control plugins with the control surface, just like any native plugins, and it's easier to have a single screen to deal with.

Whats that control surface you use with XITE1 XTC mode ?
I use a Mackie Control + Mackie C4
dawman

Post by dawman »

I use a KX88, Kurzweil Expressionmate, Doepfer FaderBox and MIDI Solutions F8.
4 x Expression Pedals, 2 x Sustain ( sostenuto ) and 2 x Footswitches.
I only use VST FX that can be kicked off and on in realtime, and all editing is on the fly for Scope. I know this isn't what many would consider surface controls, but I recorded for 12 weeks last year like this, and it was so fast and convenient, it's the only way I can record now.
No XTC because Bildule is the host.
I would like to see more than one set of ASIO S & M's at once though. Then I could use Cubase as the tracker/recorder and still have VST/Scope effects and synths.
auricle

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I use a KX88, Kurzweil Expressionmate, Doepfer FaderBox and MIDI Solutions F8.
4 x Expression Pedals, 2 x Sustain ( sostenuto ) and 2 x Footswitches.
I only use VST FX that can be kicked off and on in realtime, and all editing is on the fly for Scope. I know this isn't what many would consider surface controls, but I recorded for 12 weeks last year like this, and it was so fast and convenient, it's the only way I can record now.
No XTC because Bildule is the host.
I would like to see more than one set of ASIO S & M's at once though. Then I could use Cubase as the tracker/recorder and still have VST/Scope effects and synths.
What's an ASIO S & M??

I have a Remote SL 61 that I use. It's okay and the keyboard is okay for a semi-weighted. I don't use the Automap feature on it though but it has enough knobs, sliders and buttons for decent MIDI control. I would like to go for a decent 88 piano weighted keyboard though. I also have a Jazzmutant Lemur on order for mixing control and creating my own control surfaces. I can't wait for that really!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

ASIO1 & 2 Source & Destination modules that we use in Scope.
The SL61 is fine for controlling, but the Lemur is really the way to go, but I would never take that onstage.
There are a couple of APE's... :lol: ( Audio Playback Engineers ) here in town that use the Lemurs and they work well. One of the guys had the production company buy 2 of them and uses one with lights I hear. I haven't seen that yet, but the Stagehands Union here in LV throws a fit when they think that they're loosing a job to technology. So what ends up happening is you get a guy who runs an arc weld Super Trooper Spotlight where he can lean on the rail and sleep for 50 bucks an hour.... :lol:
auricle

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:ASIO1 & 2 Source & Destination modules that we use in Scope.
The SL61 is fine for controlling, but the Lemur is really the way to go, but I would never take that onstage.
There are a couple of APE's... :lol: ( Audio Playback Engineers ) here in town that use the Lemurs and they work well. One of the guys had the production company buy 2 of them and uses one with lights I hear. I haven't seen that yet, but the Stagehands Union here in LV throws a fit when they think that they're loosing a job to technology. So what ends up happening is you get a guy who runs an arc weld Super Trooper Spotlight where he can lean on the rail and sleep for 50 bucks an hour.... :lol:
That's the type of job I want :) Unions - they have their good points and they have their bad points. They do stop employers walking all over the staff but also they hinder progress when technology moves on. Look at the Post Office debacle in the UK at the moment.

I'm glad the Lemur is confirmed to work well with the Xite-1. I ordered it before I made the decision to get an Xite and it was one of the questions I meant to ask.

About S&M :P How many inputs and outputs does it have?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am sure it will work with Scope but w/o OSC and MIDI in parallel it seems it would be limited. I would love to see Flexor for VST w/ OSC and downward compatability w/ MIDI. It would bring Modular into a new world, kind of like what the Reaktor guys are doing.
If S|C incorporates OSC into Scope 5.0 or the XITE-1 I am sure it would be quite an achievement.
I will be seeing the set up more closely next time I go backstage. These guys act like the stuff is top secret though. Even the show using Gigastudio which everyone knows about, is a big hush-hush.... :wink:
auricle

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I am sure it will work with Scope but w/o OSC and MIDI in parallel it seems it would be limited. I would love to see Flexor for VST w/ OSC and downward compatability w/ MIDI. It would bring Modular into a new world, kind of like what the Reaktor guys are doing.
If S|C incorporates OSC into Scope 5.0 or the XITE-1 I am sure it would be quite an achievement.
I will be seeing the set up more closely next time I go backstage. These guys act like the stuff is top secret though. Even the show using Gigastudio which everyone knows about, is a big hush-hush.... :wink:
Hasn't Gigastudio been discontinued by Tascam? :D

I know Xite isn't OSC compatible (yet - I hope) but aren't most of the controls in the software MIDI controllable? That's just what I'm interested in (for now).
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

Scope has a great learn mode for controlling w/ MIDI. Just right click on any knob or fader in Scope, then grab a knob or fader on your controller...done. :wink:
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

Gigastudio is dead, but it was the first 64bit host for 3rd party apps & cross platform. Then taSCAM 86'd it a month after I updated. But old apps never dies, they just fade away...........General Douglas MacArthur @ West Point 1953.
Gigastudio and GVI sound better because of their streaming algo owned by Conexant, pattented by Rockwell. I still use GVI but Gigastudio 2.5 is my prefferred app of choice. It doesn't use the CPU much and just never crashes, streams like a mofo all night long.
Garritan bought up Gigastudio but nothing happening yet there.
As soon as Giga starting kissing VST ass and using a dongle it lost it's appeal to many users. But still, many showrooms and studios are getting plenty of use with it.

Scope's MIDI is cool, and SpaceF's MIDI CC devices attached to pedals is the bomb.
If you ever want to see how I use the B2003 and synth and effects parameters live , I would be happy to share. I keep both hands on the keyboard, and have taken the spring out of the PBend on my 88. I use the PBend and ModWheel for static faders now.
You will freak when you see how far one can take MIDI in Scope.
It doesn't seem to be popular with the single track at a time guys, but when recording or performing many tracks I have control very similar to what a sequencer could do if a show were to be automated.
auricle

Post by auricle »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Gigastudio is dead, but it was the first 64bit host for 3rd party apps & cross platform. Then taSCAM 86'd it a month after I updated. But old apps never dies, they just fade away...........General Douglas MacArthur @ West Point 1953.
Gigastudio and GVI sound better because of their streaming algo owned by Conexant, pattented by Rockwell. I still use GVI but Gigastudio 2.5 is my prefferred app of choice. It doesn't use the CPU much and just never crashes, streams like a mofo all night long.
As soon as Giga starting kissing VST ass and using a dongle it lost it's appeal to many users. But still, many showrooms and studios are getting plenty of use with it.

Scope's MIDI is cool, and SpaceF's MIDI CC devices attached to pedals is the bomb.
If you ever want to see how I use the B2003 and synth and effects parameters live , I would be happy to share. I keep both hands on the keyboard, and have taken the spring out of the PBend on my 88. I use the PBend and ModWheel for static faders now.
It doesn't seem to be popular with the single track at a time guys, but when recording or performing many tracks I have control very similar to what a sequencer could do if a show were to be automated.
I'll respond to this properly tomorrow as I'm falling asleep at my keyboard. I just need tp ask another question.

When you bought your Xite-1, was the power adaptor with a rating specific to your country? Or was it universal that could work with 220v as well as 110v?

Like an idiot, I forgot to specify that I need a European adaoptor when I ordered it from an American dealer :(
pollux

Post by pollux »

auricle wrote:
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Gigastudio is dead, but it was the first 64bit host for 3rd party apps & cross platform. Then taSCAM 86'd it a month after I updated. But old apps never dies, they just fade away...........General Douglas MacArthur @ West Point 1953.

I'll respond to this properly tomorrow as I'm falling asleep at my keyboard. I just need tp ask another question.

When you bought your Xite-1, was the power adaptor with a rating specific to your country? Or was it universal that could work with 220v as well as 110v?

Like an idiot, I forgot to specify that I need a European adaoptor when I ordered it from an American dealer :(

It's a 100-240v, like a notebook power supply :) worse case you'll have to buy the cord from the outlet to the block :)