Xite with existing audio interface

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

auricle

Xite with existing audio interface

Post by auricle »

Hi, first post :)

I'm thinking of getting an Xite-1. I'm really itching to use the onboard synths especially the modular.

However, I'm thinking about my computer setup and how the Xite-1 will fit into my setup. Currently, I use a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 as my interface, mainly because it is compatible with MOTU Volta and Expert Sleepers Silent Way which I use to interface with my hardware modular.

I use Cubase and it's not possible to use more than one interface at a time. Is it possible to use the Ultralite as my audio interface and use the Xite-1 for it's DSP synths and effects?

Thank you very much!
dawman

Re: Xite with existing audio interface

Post by dawman »

Welcome, even though I am not sure of the answer for that yet.
But Volta is an excellent idea. I always wanted to make a hybrid of our Modular with external Analog Filter types as in Analogics or MOTM.
I would love to see another XITE-1 owner but in all honesty Adern is going to release a native version of his Modular. You seem to have the real Modular and Volta already.
Might be wise to wait and see if you can achieve your ideas with that.
If you need to use DSP's to reserve resources, there is no equal to the XITE-1, that's for sure.
I am doing several Modulars in projects right now. Synth ideas need 4-5 voices, but the FM EPianos and other large poly tickets are easily concieved.
6 x 5 voice synths and 3 x 16 voice instruments are a cinch in the XITE-1.
The FM Epiano and Sine Piano's are beautiful.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, i don't think it's possible to use both.
i wouldn't think that the MOTU is really in the same class anyway(just an opinion).
auricle

Post by auricle »

Thanks for the replies!

Xite-1/4Live - Yes, Volta is a good thing as is Silent Way. They allow very precise control over the modular and is great for tempo locked trigger sequencing and LFOs. However, for recording straight synth parts - you can't beat the simplicity just plugging the MIDI into a Kenton MIDI to CV interface. Sure, it doesn't have calibration but there's nothing wrong with using your ears :)

It's interesting about the native version of Adern. Any ideas of when it will be released? And will he release it for Mac also? Yes, I would like the pure DSP power of the Xite but I'm looking at all option at this time.

garyb - Yes, Xite's converters are probably way superior to the MOTU's but I can guarantee that the Xite's outputs are not DC coupled which is needed to run DC output for control voltages for plugins like Volta. Pity that you can't run two interfaces but it was what I expected. I need two computers :)
auricle

Post by auricle »

I have a few more questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer:

As it looks like two audio interfaces cannot be used on the same Windows PC (I hope the Mac drivers come out soon so that I can use an aggregate device). As I can use an old PC to run Windows for Xite-1, I'll use my Mac for everything else - basically running Live, Cubase and Logic. Here are my questions:

1) Can Xite's synths and effects be totally controlled via it's MIDI in? (almost certainly yes but it's worth checking!)

2) Can Xite's time-based synth features and effects (such as delay) be synced to MTC or MIDI clock?

3) I have read that Xite-1 can run in two modes (I can't remember what they are called though). One is where Xite's plugins can be used almost like VST plugins or where the DAW can be used as a plugin. I don't really understand how the DAW can be used as a plugin for Xite-1. Can you explain it to me? Would it work in the Mac to PC setup I mentioned above?

Thanks!
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

For 1 and 2, yes - although I haven't honestly had time to test ALL the clock-based parameters in ALL the synths/arpeggiators, filters, LFO's, effects, etc. Jim and a couple others have spent a lot more time with many of the devices. I HAVE had success with MTC driving some of the delays and arps.

For #3, Scope/Xite has XTC mode for running Scopes' plugs in your host - except that for V5 Scope there is a tweak to get XTC to work like it did in 4.5. I personally don't bother using XTC, so I haven't kept totally in the loop on this.

V5 Scope is still in Release Candidate mode, so there are still some last tweaks being done to the main program.

FYI...I've pushed 12 synths at 5 voices each into Xite, with plenty of headroom left for two mixers, some delays and reverbs, and my 2 year old PC still has headroom to run large projects in Samplitude with several hefty VST's such as Superior2.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
auricle

Post by auricle »

siriusbliss wrote:For 1 and 2, yes - although I haven't honestly had time to test ALL the clock-based parameters in ALL the synths/arpeggiators, filters, LFO's, effects, etc. Jim and a couple others have spent a lot more time with many of the devices. I HAVE had success with MTC driving some of the delays and arps.

For #3, Scope/Xite has XTC mode for running Scopes' plugs in your host - except that for V5 Scope there is a tweak to get XTC to work like it did in 4.5. I personally don't bother using XTC, so I haven't kept totally in the loop on this.

V5 Scope is still in Release Candidate mode, so there are still some last tweaks being done to the main program.

FYI...I've pushed 12 synths at 5 voices each into Xite, with plenty of headroom left for two mixers, some delays and reverbs, and my 2 year old PC still has headroom to run large projects in Samplitude with several hefty VST's such as Superior2.

Greg

Thank you very much for the info, Greg. If you don't use XTC mode, how do you integrate your DAW to the Xite?

For anyone knowledgeable on XTC mode, is this possible only on the computer with the Xite PCIe card fitted? (I presume so, but you never know).
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

auricle wrote:Thank you very much for the info, Greg. If you don't use XTC mode, how do you integrate your DAW to the Xite?
Samplitude resides 'inside' the Scope environment, with Samplitude seeing the Scope ASIO modules (I/O), and then through Scopes' mixers or other direct modules. I can also route to 'external' modules out of Samplitude to any of Scope's effects modules.
The routing possibilities are IMO the strongest feature of Scope, since it's basically very similar to using hardware.

It's also possible to mix out of Samplitude/host through Scope, and into a 2nd instance of the host.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
auricle

Post by auricle »

siriusbliss wrote:
auricle wrote:Thank you very much for the info, Greg. If you don't use XTC mode, how do you integrate your DAW to the Xite?
Samplitude resides 'inside' the Scope environment, with Samplitude seeing the Scope ASIO modules (I/O), and then through Scopes' mixers or other direct modules. I can also route to 'external' modules out of Samplitude to any of Scope's effects modules.
The routing possibilities are IMO the strongest feature of Scope, since it's basically very similar to using hardware.

It's also possible to mix out of Samplitude/host through Scope, and into a 2nd instance of the host.

Greg
Thanks again, Greg. Is this a feature of Samplitude only or can it work like this with any DAW?
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's mainly Samplitude that will open seperate instances.

you can use multiple apps to do this and you can also route back to another stereo track in the original sequencer. Scope allows for completely free routing. if you monitor the Scope mixer and not the sequencer's mixer, you can route in and out of the computer with virtually zero latency.
auricle

Post by auricle »

garyb wrote:it's mainly Samplitude that will open seperate instances.

you can use multiple apps to do this and you can also route back to another stereo track in the original sequencer. Scope allows for completely free routing. if you monitor the Scope mixer and not the sequencer's mixer, you can route in and out of the computer with virtually zero latency.
Thanks Gary. It seems very impressive! I wonder if there will be an OSX equivalent of Samplitude when the Mac drivers are released?
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

it's not Samplitude that makes it possible, it's Scope. :wink:
auricle

Post by auricle »

garyb wrote:it's mainly Samplitude that will open seperate instances.
Ah, it's your statement I quoted above that confused me. I thought it was a feature of Samplitude :)

Thanks for the clarification!
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, Sam IS a great program. i like it for arranging and editing master cd tracks. i use an earlier version for that purpose and record directly from Cubase or Sonar....
auricle

Post by auricle »

garyb wrote:well, Sam IS a great program. i like it for arranging and editing master cd tracks. i use an earlier version for that purpose and record directly from Cubase or Sonar....
Samplitude does look impressive but it's Windows only :(

Saying that, I've just noticed Vienna Ensemble Pro http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1738/1356.vsl which, if I understand correctly, would allow me to run Xite-1 in XTC mode with VE Pro as the host which would allow me to control and mix all instruments from my Mac based sequencer. :) That's until the Mac version is released of course but then I still have a couple of PC only plugins that I've had to give up that I could reinstate.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not really that big of a deal to run everything inside of the sequencer, but that's just my opinion. in fact, doing so becomes pretty limiting pretty quickly for me, but to each his own, everyone has their favorite way to work(although that can change). you can already control Scope with the sequencer, and i don't think xtc mode will be implemented for mac(technical issues, i believe).

anyway, with a mixing platform as powerful as Xite, you'll want to mix there. you'll have better tools available and you'll have access to the real world in real time(which still won't keep you from using anything in the sequencer that you were in love with)...
auricle

Post by auricle »

garyb wrote:it's not really that big of a deal to run everything inside of the sequencer, but that's just my opinion. in fact, doing so becomes pretty limiting pretty quickly for me, but to each his own, everyone has their favorite way to work(although that can change). you can already control Scope with the sequencer, and i don't think xtc mode will be implemented for mac(technical issues, i believe).

anyway, with a mixing platform as powerful as Xite, you'll want to mix there. you'll have better tools available and you'll have access to the real world in real time(which still won't keep you from using anything in the sequencer that you were in love with)...
Thanks again Gary. Shame about the XTC for Mac but if other ways are just as flexible (if not more), then that's great.

By the way, the Xite-1 only has two inputs and outputs. What can you use to increase that?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have tested VE Pro with a friend who uses Logic/Bidule/Nuendo on the 2.66 MacPro Dually.
It is a serious powerhouse, the extra power is incredible as he hardly goes above 40% on all 8/16 cores.
We hooked up his ancient PC slave that uses the Conroe E8400 w/ DFI motherboard, and a newer AMD on another mobo. The XITE-1 worked well on both PC's, but I liked the way sampled instruments could be controlled by the VE Pro as the host w/ Logic. Audio and MIDI was piped through LAN. MIDI had no noticable latency but the audio had a little latency with and w/o the Scope synths and FX. I could feel it as soon as I hit the notes on my controller, but once the audio started being streamed it tightened up to an acceptable level. He says he changed the buffers and settings of his RME card to fix this, but I haven't tested it with him yet. But VE Pro is a perfect way to bring in 3rd party instruments along with VSL libraries, and network PC's to a Mac.
The XITE-1 connected to the Mac would have to disconnect the RME I believe, but that would be the ultimate DAW IMHO. A MacPro w/ an XITE-1, w/o the PC slaves would still be the strongest combination I can imagine. The XITE-1 would route in your analog hardware too.
XITE-1's MIDI is tight. I use a slew of external pedals to control the synths. I even use Scope's MIDI to control my analog synths externally in a loop and it works perfectly. You could use Scope synths on an upper split and the analog for Bass and be quite satisfied. I cannot find any synth from any platform that will replace the low and ultra low end of an analog synth, so of course I will not part with that. However, I find Scope synths outperfrom analog in the upper ranges and with higher polyphony. I sold my Oberheims for Bowen synths and have zero regrets.
pollux

Post by pollux »

garyb wrote:anyway, with a mixing platform as powerful as Xite, you'll want to mix there. you'll have better tools available and you'll have access to the real world in real time(which still won't keep you from using anything in the sequencer that you were in love with)...
it's not like that for everyone :)
By having the synths and FX inside the sequencer, one can benefit of things like, for example, the tight integration of control surfaces (like the MCU or the C4) into the sequencer.
Trying to control both, seq and scope with the same csurf is a nightmare
pollux

Post by pollux »

auricle wrote: Samplitude does look impressive but it's Windows only :(
So is XITE (OSX drivers coming soon :lol: )
auricle wrote:Saying that, I've just noticed Vienna Ensemble Pro http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1738/1356.vsl which, if I understand correctly, would allow me to run Xite-1 in XTC mode with VE Pro as the host which would allow me to control and mix all instruments from my Mac based sequencer. :) That's until the Mac version is released of course but then I still have a couple of PC only plugins that I've had to give up that I could reinstate.
Plogue Bidule should also do that and give you insane routing options.
I think Jimmy V's been using that for some time
Last edited by pollux on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.