IRQ-sharing question

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

cortone

IRQ-sharing question

Post by cortone »

My XITE is sharing IRQ19 with a PCIe function (a Root). My assumption has been that this is the same PCIe as the adapter card that connects my XITE, but then, you know what assuming can get me.

Does anybody have their XITE all alone on an IRQ? If you are sharing with only one other device/function, is it PCIe-related?

I am on an Intel DP35DP with WinXP/sp3. I am mostly wondering if I need to/can disable that specific PCIe device and free up the IRQ entirely for XITE. The other PCIe slots share with several devices including graphics (IRQ16), or the XITE is not seen at all, so I don't think I have an option to re-locate the device.

Thanks,
Cory
garyb

Re: IRQ-sharing question

Post by garyb »

the pci-e root has a number telling you which slot it corresponds to. you may very well be able to disable it. even if you're not sure, you can disable it. the worst thing that would happen is that the card may no longer work until you reenable it. a small amount of care will give you your answer.

all that said, does it work ok? the intel boards are pretty good about sharing irqs on system devices like pci-e and sata channels. if it's making no problems, why worry?
cortone

Post by cortone »

Thanks Gary, I wasn't sure if disabling that would be so easy to restore if it was in fact the XITE's PCIe. I'd prefer not to have to repair my OS beyond re-enabling that device. I haven't found a reference for which slot it represents to know if it is the same slot as my XITE. I'll give disabling it a shot.

I am having some problems, which I have also made inquiries about here and with SonicCore. One that I haven't listed on PlanetZ relates to an SRAMTest failure at power on when the Scope app tries to load, which is more concerning than the STS problems I am having, but may in fact be related (both are memory). I can make the error go away with a power down of my computer and XITE, but it sometimes takes more than one re-boot.

No problems definitely = No worries! :)

Cory
dawman

Post by dawman »

untitled00.JPG
I share with my video card. I could have given the PCI-e 1X it's own IRQ, but why fix it if it ain't broken..?
Are you having issues on a DP35DP.?
This board was great w/ the cards, excellent for samples using extra RAM from the 3GB PAE switch, and w/ XITE-1 I have had zero issues so far.
PM me anytime since we have similar set-ups. It might help narrow down any issues.

CiaoMein,
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

Im sharing Xite's IRQ with 3 or 4 other components. No problems whatsoever..
dawman

Post by dawman »

By far the DP35DP is a proven motherboard and chipset for Scope cards, and the XITE-1.
I have plenty of distance between the Graphics card and the PCI-e 1X connector card.
Notice the notch on the connector card.
Most PCI expansion devices or connector cards have even less of a gap as they travel across the top of the Jap Caps.
XITE-1's PCI-e 1X connector is like a fine Spanish made Trials/Motocross bike as in the Bultacos or Maico 500's.
IMG_1899_1.JPG
cortone

Post by cortone »

Gentlemen (a loose categorization, all things considered),

I swapped to the middle PCIe slot that shares IRQ16 with the graphics card, and nearly all signs of instability have disappeared, in particular the SRAMTest error that I was worried about. Even the STS samplers are behaving better, although still not great. If I bypass the 3G PAE switch at boot up, even those seem to be better, although I'm still trying to verify that.

I'm wondering if the proximity to the graphics card of the other PCIe slot is the problem, more than sharing IRQ19 with a PCIe function. I didn't test this, just swapped the card, so it may still be possible to use XITE on its own IRQ once the PCIe root is disabled. Could be heat, could be crosstalk, could be both.

I didn't get a ton of time to check this out, but it is much improved based on the work that I did get in.

Thanks all!

Cheers,
Cory