STS Samplers, anybody?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

cortone

STS Samplers, anybody?

Post by cortone »

I am consistently getting Low Memory errors in the STS samplers. I have tried small and large samples, and have tried assigning the DSP, plus then un-assigning them. When I try to load a sample, it flashes the Low Memory error and then the slot clears (no crashes of the STS or Scope).

For the most part, I just want to build some drumsets, and the occasional piano or acoustic instrument sample. I'm not doing anything particularly complicated with them.

Anybody having success with these?

Thanks,
Cory
siriusbliss

Re: STS Samplers, anybody?

Post by siriusbliss »

All I know is that the old STS had a 2Gig ceiling, so maybe the library you're loading is over that?

If you're getting DSP overflow type memory errors, then there is something else going on.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
cortone

Post by cortone »

Greg,

Ralf D. says he can load samples without a problem, so I suspect it's a problem with my set up, just not sure what.

None of these samples are particularly large, I think one was 256M. Most are one-shot percussion samples.

I don't think it is a DSP error, it just says Low Memory in the sample slot and then disappears. No warning or error messages from the scope app like happens with a DSP overload due to cranky polyphony or something like that.

I hadn't thought about the 3G PAE switch, which I have enabled. Maybe it's trying to load samples into memory above where it can reach them and so craps out? I can boot without the switch to find out...

Thanks,
Cory
garyb

Post by garyb »

inane questions:
did you have more than 4gb physical memory?
you do have 1.8vlt sticks, true?
cortone

Post by cortone »

Not inane at all. I have 4G of RAM, all at 1.8V. I've had this system for a couple of years now, and it used to run 3 PCI cards well. The samplers have always been problematic, but would work better than than they are currently. It was one of the things I hoped would improve with XITE, and I'm sure it still will...soon. :wink: I haven't tried all the suggestions that have come up yet, so hopefully one of those will sort out the problem.

Thanks,
Cory
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure.
since we're still in RC mode, there's still plenty of hope. i think things will work much better and soon...
cortone

Post by cortone »

I still have some Low Memory errors after swapping the PCIe slot and removing the 3G PAE switch on boot up in WinXP. Still testing, but at this point, most samples from a preset will load, and I am able to re-load any that error out on the first attempt. I think this is largely due to the 3G PAE switch, but I'll do some more testing to try and sort this out.

Thanks,
Cory
dawman

Post by dawman »

I really hope STS can be 64bit memory addressable.
I have the best 2 translator applications out there and amazingly enough Pulsar ( STS ) is on both and translates both ways to all of the top sampler apps.
I would love to have STS hold any libraries that are static like ARP Strings and Melotrons, etc.
Then I could use the high articulation instruments in GVI and Kontakt 3.5.
I am anxious to see VDAT and STS in 64bit though. These might turn out to be nice surprises.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Early attempts at translating libraries into STS (Akai) using Extreme Sample converter were WAY better than 'the other program' - but I still hit the 2G ceiling on most libraries, so I gave up literally about 5 years ago and went with Kontakt - and I'm not a huge sampler user (unless I want to play weird instruments or whatever).

Seems to me someone - either S/C or 3rd party - can come up with the mondo sampler/ROMpler for Xite, since it has so much overhead (without needing to bleed so much RAM or CPU).

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
cortone

Post by cortone »

After working with this some more, it does not appear to relate to the 3G PAE switch. It changes from boot to boot, whether I use the switch or not.

Hopefully the next update will also bring improvements to the samplers, although I'd much prefer VDAT to get sorted first.

Cory
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Early attempts at translating libraries into STS (Akai) using Extreme Sample converter were WAY better than 'the other program' - but I still hit the 2G ceiling on most libraries
Cano you load 1GB? I could never load more han 700mb, and in the post related haven´t seen nobody telling about loading more than that. Can you confirm that?
maky325

Post by maky325 »

siriusbliss wrote:Early attempts at translating libraries into STS (Akai) using Extreme Sample converter were WAY better than 'the other program' - but I still hit the 2G ceiling on most libraries, so I gave up literally about 5 years ago and went with Kontakt
Greg
Sadly that is still case (even after 5.years) with these so called translators. Chickensystem is worst of them while as you said EX. Sample converter is best. But still sometimes choppy..
MayN

Post by MayN »

I to have this problem :(
My friend too sees at loading "low memory".....
Very much I hope the fast decision.

For now I use here it:

http://www.samplelord.com/index.php?page=samplelord
http://www.samplelord.com/index.php?page=screens
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

mpodrug wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:Early attempts at translating libraries into STS (Akai) using Extreme Sample converter were WAY better than 'the other program' - but I still hit the 2G ceiling on most libraries, so I gave up literally about 5 years ago and went with Kontakt
Greg
Sadly that is still case (even after 5.years) with these so called translators. Chickensystem is worst of them while as you said EX. Sample converter is best. But still sometimes choppy..
There is a trick to convert libraries to STS format. With Extreme Sample Converter, convert first your library to Halion format. Load Halion fxp, and see the diferent layers in the list, then save a diferent program fxp for each layer. For example, for a piano, you´ll better save only note-on layer (or pedal down). Then load in STS the layers you want to play. Most times many layers don´t offer much detail. I´ll prefer much more playing a piano through STS just with note on layer, then play the same piano in a native sampler with 3gb of size. There are one inmportant reason, midi timing is always inaccurate, more or less depending on diferent factors, but at least, CPU and OS dependent. That´s the midi driver. However, if you take midi input directly to STS, and record directly the STS audio output gives a fair timimg, and a diferent feeling when playing.
Have tested that sometime ago and measured that. I don´t think that record midi tracks is a good idea unless you´ll quantize it.
MayN

Post by MayN »

I am helped by this manipulation.
We include the computer.
Loading is finished.
At once we unload Scope.
We load Scope again.
STS works!!!
Hurrah!!! ))))))))
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

MayN wrote:I am helped by this manipulation.
We include the computer.
Loading is finished.
At once we unload Scope.
We load Scope again.
STS works!!!
Hurrah!!! ))))))))
Can you explain better?
MayN

Post by MayN »

Me ayuda esta manipulación.
Incluimos el ordenador.
La carga es terminada.
Inmediatamente descargamos el Alcance.
Cargamos el Alcance otra vez.
¡¡Trabajos de STS!!!
¡¡Hurra!!!))))))))
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

MayN wrote:Me ayuda esta manipulación.
Incluimos el ordenador.
La carga es terminada.
Inmediatamente descargamos el Alcance.
Cargamos el Alcance otra vez.
¡¡Trabajos de STS!!!
¡¡Hurra!!!))))))))
I understand english better then google translator, I mean, what manipulation do you refer?
The trick I mentioned of separating layers? Or swithing on/off Scope?
MayN

Post by MayN »

Yes ! Swithing on/off Scope
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Ok