Xite and 64 bit OS

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Xite and 64 bit OS

Post by JoPo »

Well.... The question is in the subject...

Does Xite run with a 64 bit XP, for example ? The Scope 5.0 is not avaible for a 64 bits OS but is it for ever ?

I know that Sonic core was saying that xite and scope PCI won't run in the same pc but it seems possible to do it... Why not 64 bit OS ?

Merci.....
garyb

Re: Xite and 64 bit OS

Post by garyb »

well, aside from the fact that S/C doesn't usually address such things here, and anything i say is unofficial and heresay at best, 64bit is planned(or at least that was the last public word on the subject). they'll get to it as soon as they can, no sooner...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ok... But have you any idea if it will be with the same hardware (Xite-1) ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

XITE-1 is ready for 64bit and would only requires a driver.
Mac & PC are to be the choices.
Mac I am not sure about, but Windows 7 is the new flavor.
They already had XP/Vista and to get this M$ nonsense behind them, they opted for 7.
One thing's certain though, if they make the Mac drivers for Snow Leopard many enthusiasts will jump on it.
I am using the 3GB PAE Switch for XP32, and doing just fine.
I will try a new library that I must have, and if requires more RAM than what I have, I will have to make the jump.
But these sampler app.'s do not require an entire instrument be loaded. You can load just the parts you like, purge samples, etc.
I see guys using 16 and 24GB's of RAM and I just don't believe their claims, especially since demos aren't even offered.
I have seen 8GB's working well but anything higher than that is a crapshoot.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ah, you reassure me, it would be a pity to buy a new hardware which could work only in 32 bits while everything gets in 64...

I'm waiting for my Xite-1 !!! I think in 3 or 4 weeks !!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Congrats Brosky.
What mobo configuration do you have?
Check the thread because the i7's are kind of iffie...
The P35/P45's are doing really well, and I saw those work w/ XP64 + Sonar 8.0.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Sorry... I don't speak that well english... (I mean, I don't get all what you said..!)

Powercore firewire + Asus p5q with a firewire- 3Go ram CPU quad 2.8Ghz all under XP pro + 3 sonic core board = 13 dsp with 16 analog in/out + Cubase 5 + Wavelab 6 + midisport 4x4 + Roland JV 2080 + Supernova I + X-station25 + Behringer BCF2000 and so on ...

Will this work ???
dawman

Post by dawman »

Indeed........excellent choices... :wink:
PCI-e 1X slots using these chips are proven and stable.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Scope PCI and Xite DO run on the same PC - I'm doing it.
re: 64-bit, people have already posted elsewhere that Scope5 is running in Vista 64.
I don't have Windows 7 running on a new machine yet, so until the WHOLE FRIGGIN INDUSTRY OFFICIALLY GOES TO 64-BIT, and S/C releases 64-bit drivers, then presume that it's at least running in Vista 64, and that 64-bit drivers will come.

stardust is being a buzzkill, so if you don't believe me, or dont' believe any of the other people who have posted here (after you do a search), then it would be good to email Sonic Core. However, they will say pretty much the same thing - 64-bit drivers are in development.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's what i said.
i would think finishing Scope5 is first(VDAT, etc), it's all a matter of priority, i'm just not able to speak for S/C, but i'd expect 64bit drivers.

one thing to remember-
Holger and Jurgen typically are NOT promise breakers when it comes to Scope. they are NOT Creamware, however, they were doing work there when Creamware was very active and responsive(if not vocal, you'd be amazed at the sheer quantity of correspondance, not counting spam, that must be processed. there's no time for a company that size to be chatty and productive). from what i've already seen(v5, XITE improvements), they are currently active and responsive(which is not to say that they will do everything perfectly or make everyone happy). it is likely they will do everything in their power to incorporate key user needs and desires like 64bit operation into Scope.

unfortunately, everything is always rush! rush! rush! in computers, which leads to waste. on the other hand, something done right, just takes as long as it takes. i'm sure that they won't waste time on the matter, whether or not it is fast enough is what each must decide on their own. personally, my cards are more important than being in 64bit. i know that 64bit is important for some, so i hope that they release everything now.

ok, well maybe........

now.

no? well, it'll be soon.
astroman

Post by astroman »

64-bit is bullsh*t alltogether, regardless of how many gigs your favourite sample lib may occupate
it's only brought to consumers (or prosumers how they're called today) for the benefit of some sales departments
if a 400 MHZ P3 could stream just about anything, imagine what a modern Quadcore with 8MB cache is capable of
The rest is just data management
For decades database filesystems address way larger space than the native cpu adressing mode seems to allow - and they are damn f*cking fast.
Speed of adress translation ?
Don't be ridiculous, this is about digital audio, not radar processing :lol:

cheers, Tom
[/rant] nevermind, I know it will come soon, too many lemmings on their way :D
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

astroman wrote:[/rant] nevermind, I know it will come soon, too many lemmings on their way :D
it's not only a lemming thing. sooner or later memory manufacturers won't produce or sell small memory modules anymore, and computer resellers will have a hard time to explain why one can't make use of all the hardware (regardless if it is needed or not) while not being able to provide a setup with less memory... ;)
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
astroman

Post by astroman »

you're asking the wrong question, if you're concerned about 'making use' of your hardware.
How about asking what's needed to realise your ideas ? ;)

I really wouldn't mind to buy a gig of mem for just 10 bucks if half of it is never used at all - that stuff is dead cheap today.

But the 64bit adressing nonsense doesn't bring any (real) advantage on the client side of things.
In fact you'll get lost in all the data without some kind of software to administrate it some way.
Such software has existed for decades and could handle the amount of stuff - regardless of the cpu adressing capabilities.
98% of all applications just don't need 64bit adressing.

A server system does benefit from it of course, but then...
why don't they run server apps on regular office machines with an office OS ?

It is as funny as people asking for a third axis on their regular car because it would allow them to occasionally pickup a huge block of rock... :D

cheers, Tom (should shutup, but couldn't resist)
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

astroman wrote:you're asking the wrong question, if you're concerned about 'making use' of your hardware.
it's not me asking that question. but other people will ask. be prepared to see those questions all over the place... (regarless of your humble opinion) :D
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

For me, personnaly :

I really don't care to make music with 32 or 64 bit os !!! I just don't want to buy an "allready old new" hardware !

Everybody agrees to say that 64 bit drivers will arrive in some time, I thus feel reassured, basta... I may wait, it's not a problem for me. I just don't want to must staying in 32 bit because of one piece of hardware while all new good softs are going to be released in 64 and not be abble to use them. (I'm not sure to be clear enough...)

Voilà voilà..... Merciiii.......
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

JoPo wrote:For me, personnaly :

I really don't care to make music with 32 or 64 bit os !!! I just don't want to buy an "allready old new" hardware !

Everybody agrees to say that 64 bit drivers will arrive in some time, I thus feel reassured, basta... I may wait, it's not a problem for me. I just don't want to must staying in 32 bit because of one piece of hardware while all new good softs are going to be released in 64 and not be abble to use them. (I'm not sure to be clear enough...)

Voilà voilà..... Merciiii.......
yes, understood.
No, the Scope hardware won't become antiquated.
64-bit development is already underway - and Xite is here, so things are progressing.

note: even the RME guys told me at NAMM that they were holding off 64-bit for a while due to lag in software development, and slow industry uptake.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
astroman

Post by astroman »

kylie wrote:
astroman wrote:you're asking the wrong question, if you're concerned about 'making use' of your hardware.
it's not me asking that question. but other people will ask. be prepared to see those questions all over the place... (regarless of your humble opinion) :D
yes, I know - I didn't compare it to Lemmings for nothing... well, the latter might be driven by some magical mystery circumstances, but people are just plain stupid in this context.
They really are, because they believe in the words of a multi billion $$$ company that didn't even got it's word processor right during 2 decades and just burried an OS they promoted as the media breakthrough of the millenium.
LMAO, sorry.
Yes, occasionally I find it a tiny bit concerning that all those smart individuals just parrot about stuff they have few ideas about. How faithful and obedient they are... but don't even dare to sell them a 50 pound sack of potatoes with just one rotten inside... :o :D

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

so true, that...
David

Post by David »

Soon....
Approximate reading time: 1 minute