PlanetZ@scopeusers.com

Scope Users Community
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 am 

Forgot to provide info here about my own setup (inspired from Bud for the description layout).

XITE-1 and SCOPE 5.1 32Bit Setup on a Thinpad R61 (8944) from 2007 :roll: with Expresscard hookup (mobile setup):

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo T7100 processor (1.8 GHZ, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)
Mobile Intel GM965 Express
Graphics: Intel GMA X3100
RAM: 2GB

Internal harddrives: Hitachi HTS542580K9SA00 5400 RPM SATA 80 GB
Optical drive: LG GCC-T10N, Slim CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
USB 2: 3 ports (mouse)
XITE-1 Expresscard connection.

This machine runs SCOPE 5.1 32Bit and is under external MIDI control (mainly from a DAW running on iMAC).
Mixing everything from scope and final mix recorded using Audacity 2.0 as a simple stereo mix down recorder.

(also Scope 5 SDK setup for now)

Not the most powerful setup but enough to handle smoothly the Xite-1 which is responsible for the main job :wink: .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:53 am 

I'm only updating here so I don't start a new thread. If that's needed, I can branch accordingly.

I got lucky and happened across a 256GB SSD drive for $160US, that is mSata (Crucial M4 256GB). It's the exact same performance and storage as the full sized SSD Crucial (aka Micron) makes, only about 1/3 the size of a credit card. And I happened to have an empty mSata slot in my Lenovo W520 laptop. And my laptop is almost 2 years old now, so it's due for a refresh of windows.

So I reinstalled Windows 7 pro x64 onto the SSD, went through and did all the recommended tunings for SCOPE, tunings for using an SSD (no prefetch/superfetch/restore/logs), formatted my stock HDD, moved the browser cache and some system logs to that drive using "mklink". Then I added AlacrityPC, which disables any service I don't need while making music (but does so only when I make music, so I can leave the camera on for video calls, but unload it before making music).

The system boots in 22 seconds. SCOPE loads are incredibly fast, and my HDD is totally open for streaming audio to/from, with no other data hitting that drive or interrupting it's head positioning.

I also finally received a cable that has a 90degree angle at the mini connector end, so the cable no longer sticks directly out the mouse-hand side of my laptop. Just google "mini hdmi dslr cable"...they are fairly short at 1.5m (good for a laptop/rack combo) and are also coiled, not straight, cable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:28 am 

I'll add my new system config to the chorus here:

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard
Intel Core i5 processor, LGA1150, 3.5GHz, 6MB cache, i5-4690K
Corsair RM650 power supply
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Ram, 2x8, DDR3
EVGA GeForce GT520 video card
WD Black 1TB WD1003FZEZ SATA 6 GB/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
WD Black 500GB WD5002AALX, SATA 6GB/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB cache
Crucial M500 120GB SSD, SATA 6GB/s
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
XITE-1/Scope 5.1 64 bit

I am using Samplitude ProX Suite 64 bit (v1, there is a new v2 out just now but I haven't jumped on that upgrade bandwagon yet).

This system appears to be rock solid. Way, way, way, better than the old system that I was using. Snappy and solid. I need a few larger recording sessions under my belt before I'll be 100% confident but so far so good.

Some Win/Bios tweak comments: I took into account all of Gary B's commentary about system BIOS tweaks and incorporated them into the mix, along with a bunch of additional OS tweaks from this source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQVkv3NM3k

Your mileage may vary of course :wink:

Comment about cooling: the Corsair power supply uses a fan system that doesn't turn on until it needs to. I don't know how hot the internal temperature needs to be before the fan kicks in, but I've been running the system for a good long while now and it hasn't turned on. So I consider it to be completely silent. The store where I bought all the parts (Tiger Direct) didn't have any 3rd-party CPU fans in stock so I was forced to use the fan that came bundled with the Intel processor. I plan to replace it at some point with a 3rd-party low-noise fan (there are some fanless heatsink options out there but they are actually more expensive than the models with fans - go figure). Actually the stock fan is very quiet. I have no real problem with it for the time being.

Comment about the motherboard: I'm not a gamer. Not at all. The MSI Z97 was a recommendation from a salesman at TigerDirect. I was a little concerned about the fact it was a motherboard geared towards the gaming community but really, it rocks. I don't know much about MSI or their quality (I'm more interested in long-term reliability than gaming features), so time will tell if this was the right option for me. The Intel board I was using previously served me well for 5-6 years. What was kind of interesting was the inclusion of 3 old fashioned PCI slots. This might be a nice board for those Scope PCI cards. I thought PCI was dead or dying. Apparently not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:33 pm 

New Configuration:

Asus Maximus VII IMPACT (mini-ITX form factor- 6"x 6")
i5-4690K (3.5GHz, can do 4GHz, using standard cooler)
DDR3-2400 (mobo provides the overclocking above the usual 1600MHz DDR)
Samsung XP941 128GB
SanDisk 64GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB

The XITE is connected directly to the CPU, which also has the DDR controller. The system overall has extremely low IRQ/DPC latency (6usec typical, with occasional spikes up to ~30usec). I did not install the modular sound card...because XITE. The Samsung also uses a few lanes direct to the CPU.

The only drawback, is that I am running x86 Windows 8.1, inorder to have maximum compatibility with Modular + sequencers. Because of this, the Samsung cannot be used as a boot drive (because UEFI). It does boot x64 just fine, and incredibly fast!

However, the Sandisk 64GB SSD can shutdown or boot in about 6 seconds, so I have no complaints.

I have not run the XITE with any settings other than the lowest ULLI setting for any audio rate. I do have more experiments to push ASIO use further and ensure stability with all programs. The only program I had issue with was Arturia's Moog V, which just doesn't like to run at lowest latency. Ableton is fine, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:33 pm 

i7 4790k has proven to be a worthy CPU for adding powerful single core synths like Zebra2 HZ to Scope projects.
After having issues with Z170 chipsets, I built another Z97 replacing an older proven ASRock Z97 Extreme 6.
Now just built a 3rd as a spare and it runs with Windows 7 and the NVMe update.

ASRock Z97M Anniversary
i7 4790k
Silver stone 550watt Strider 80 Plus Gold
Corsair DDR3 1600 CAS 9 32GB
Samsung 850 Pro SSD x 3
Plextor 512GB NVMe
Windows 7

Rock solid.
Fast.

No PCI-e overflow crap

Lowest DPC Score on Z97
No frills industrial workstation design.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:24 am 

ASRock Z97M Anniversary

Just out of interest - I noticed this motherboard only has 1 x HDMI for the integrated graphics - Do you use a separate graphics card? - Or is there another way for you to obtain 2 x monitor for the setup? - Or are you on 1 x monitor with this?