Experiences/advice on creating PC/Xite-1 setup

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

cortone

Re: Experiences/advice on creating PC/Xite-1 setup

Post by cortone »

nomagic and sounddesigner,

Could you post your set ups in this thread?

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27891

This will make it easier to track for future users.

Thanks,
Cory
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

Got mine last night. I'm also using the Gigabyte X58 series mb, and the Xite PCI/Interrupt setup clearly has problems with this board, at least under WinXP Sp3. I got the same kinds of "can't install" messages and the mouse cursor was mostly stopped. But every 10 seconds or so it would come alive for about a second, so I nudged around until I was able to install the drivers and reboot. That mostly fixed things, although it still crashes the computer from time to time. Too bad, I went from an ultra stable computer to a flakey one by adding the Xite-1.

Also, the Xite-1 has to be on when you boot the computer, even if you've set the Scope software to not install on boot up. The only way to enable the computer to boot with Xite-1 off is to disable the drivers. Then you have to double boot to turn them back on again. Really sloppy.

I think it was a mistake to use the PCIe bus as an interface. Kyma uses Firewire and it is no trouble at all. I was curious about the VDAT, knew it wasn't working but wanted to poke my finger into it. Got a PCIe overflow message and locked up everything same as when I first tried to install. Does not look good for those of us who depended on the VDAT.

Well, the early Scope versions were a bit flaky too, and several versions later they are fairly stable. So there is hope yet.

Let me add that I LOVE all that processing power. With my 3 card setup I was constantly having to trim back voices or effects to get it to fit within the available DSP capability - now I have slightly more than double the DSP workspace of the 3 card system. So I'm glad I got Xite-1. I just hope it matures into a more stable device.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Looks like the Giga's don't like Xite's that's all.
Has anyone yet tested latest Intel boards?

Sorry, but Xite never had installation, driver, freeze, lockup, issues here with my older Intel that ALSO has 3 Scope cards in it.
It HAS been stable, but as stated, was occasionally getting weird DSP overflows and module errors when running both environments simultaneously, but once I was able to reassign the IRQ and isolate things, it's been happy.

I don't like firewire almost as much as I HATE USB. I think PCI-e was the proper way to go (for throughput reasons as well).

Greg

p.s. perhaps check the Giga BIOS for PCI-to-PCI bridge conflicts in the PCI-e slots???
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am also waiting for VDAT. I miss it's quality of sound, and ease of use.
I am perplexed on how Gigabyte P35's and Intel P35's are trouble free. and anything X58 including the Xeon Nehalem 5500/3500's can't even use a Sonnet Tango.
I sure hope SC figures out a fix because my P35 has been taking a beating 24/7 for over 2 years, and I never go for more than a couple of years unless it's a Graphics card or a Raptor.
I am glad you got yours JD.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

There is an obvious flaw in the PCI problems in some mobos.....it might be just that the tested and true be the one to use, until further progress is made. I'm not jumping any time soon to an i7 platform...until new developments evolve.... :wink:
Joel
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

cortone wrote:John,

Your list makes me wonder if you have ACPI installed, or is it Standard PC? Are you able to see any IRQs above 16, up to 23 in your list? If not, that would explain why you don't see the IRQ shift when you swap slots as well.

Cory
ACPI installed, Interrupt numbers up to 23. I don't really think the problem is with the computer, I think it's with the driver. Nothing else, including the Scope PCI boards, have given any trouble.

Here is something I have to admit comes under "Speculation and Superstition," but it seems to be working for me, at least so far. I'll comment further in a few days if it holds up:

In mounting a few old HDs, gathering up my old Scope patches, I needed to stop and restart the computer several times. It seemed to me that whenever Xite caused a problem booting, necessitating a 2nd or 3rd boot, then I could pretty much count on a stability problem, and there would be a freeze and/or BSOD within a half hour or less. But - and here is the superstition part - if after a shutdown it booted up normally, without glitches, without slowdowns, etc., then it would continue to work without trouble.

Part 2: It seems, at least based on just a few attempts so far, that if I turn Xite-1 off and leave it off for a few seconds then turn it back on, and THEN boot the computer, it boots without trouble. And, as said above, it continues to run without trouble.

Don't really know how true the above is because I've only tried it maybe a half dozen times, and the computer has only been on a couple hours max before for one reason or another I needed to restart it today. But since I started doing this (turning off Xite-1 for a few seconds, then back on again, before booting the computer) it has been glitch free. (crosses fingers and hopes this is not pure BS)
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

siriusbliss wrote:Have you told 'the gents?' - We are still in RC mode.
They just sent me a dsp dll update the other day that stabilized things considerably - especially when running both PCI and Xite concurrently.
(they should probably post it here)

Greg
I told them there was a problem installing when I sent in the registration and keyfile request. BTW, this was yesterday late afternoon in Texas, probably around midnight there - and the keyfile was sent to me the same night. So I KNOW they are burning the midnight oil.

I plan to send a more detailed report in a few days, when I have more trustworthy information and hopefully can demonstrate some repeatability.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
cortone

Post by cortone »

John,

Most IRQs are hard-wired by the motherboard these days (used to be BIOS-controlled). I'd be very surprised that the driver itself is able to choose it's own interrupt aside from being offered what's availabe from the OS. It's not impossible though.

There's no mystery behind turning off the XITE though. It is allowing capacitors to release stored electricity, and probably some EEPROMs to discharge some 1s and 0s. This is true for the computer, but usually requires removing the plug from the wall to fully allow it power down.

Great news about the new dll, and updates. Can you tell me your secret for getting a keyfile? I sent the first request on Tues evening!

Cory
cortone

Post by cortone »

Ahh, RTFM! In this case, they want the registration to go to 'info' not Ralf or Support...it's an auto-generated keyfile so I have it now. I'm assuming that I will still need to work through Ralf to get the transferred keys updated...

Cory
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

cortone wrote:John,
[..]
There's no mystery behind turning off the XITE though. It is allowing capacitors to release stored electricity, and probably some EEPROMs to discharge some 1s and 0s. This is true for the computer, but usually requires removing the plug from the wall to fully allow it power down.
[..]
Cory
Looks like you are spot on here. I've tried it several times, and it's 100% repeatable: If I turn the Xite-1 OFF (don't have to unplug it, just turn the power switch off) and leave it off for a few seconds, then turn it back ON, and then power up the computer, it boots without problems, and Scope/Xite-1 is stable. Don't follow the ritual and it runs flaky if at all. So I follow the ritual.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I installed the Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 MB today and so far so good. When i had the motherboard put in i did not do a new Windows XP install and i was having some problems initially still with slow movement and freezing so i decided to reinstall Win XP for a completely clean start. The XITE-1 drivers installed easily from the cd without problems unlike before and the Platform 5 software i downloaded installed without problems (my cd version does not install all files}. When i launch SCOPE Platform i'm using it without freezing and crashing. out of the many times i launched and used xite-1's sfp i only experienced one crash (forced to exit scope not a windows crash) but it does'nt appear to be a problem. I do have the frequent 'dsp overload message' problem tho when using lots of voices and big modules, especially at 96khz samplerate. So far no slow movements and freezing or constant crashing even when i stress the system only frequent overload messages when stressing. I have not tried it with a Host program yet and these are just my initial impressions, i know i'll need to have this set-up awhile before i'm sold but looks ok so far.

I forgot to take out my video card before reinstalling windows xp and it is not being seen by the O/S in device manager. I'm using some stock video card but i think its good for now incase there is a conflict with my primary video card and XITE-1 i'll know whats causing the problems when i install the video card. I'm hoping this set-up works.