Scope PCI and Scope Xite on the same machine

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

siriusbliss

Re: Scope PCI and Scope Xite on the same machine

Post by siriusbliss »

They are two separate Scope windows open side-by-side.

PCI doesn't see the Xite modules and vice versa, but I'm hooking up one ADAT port between the two, so that will be a start.

It's NOT a merge.
The merge will come with XTDM later on (as we know 'the gents' are working on it). I'm presuming the dip connector on the Xite PCI-e card is for future XTDM.

So, now I have to sort out why I don't have keys for some of the synths, etc. Doesn't Prophet and others come with Xite? (or did I miss something).

For now, maybe just hard-wire MIDI thru between PCI and Xite and/or maybe use MIDI-OX to trick your system into seeing both. I'm using MIDI-OX a bit for converting USB into multi-channel MIDI I/O for some development work using Samplitude and Live.

Note: Samplitude IS seeing all the MIDI I/O, but until I get all the ADAT and ASIO worked out, it is still seeing PCI and Xite as separate I/O.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
cortone

Post by cortone »

Awesome news, and awesome work on your part, Greg, many many thanks!

What did you have to change? When you get a chance, can you detail the process to get it running? Do you feel this would work with V.4 software as well, or V.5 only?

Using the ADAT external connection in order to access additional IOs on the PCI card is exactly what I would like to do.

Cheers,
Cory
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I noticed the IRQ for Xite was sharing #16 with the Nvidia card, however, after moving the PCI-e card to another slot near the end of the chain - where my old SRB is currently sitting - the system wouldn't even SEE the Xite hardware, so I moved it back, reran the driver install, booted up Xite, verified the key, and sure enough it worked - go figure. It was simple.

So, apparently there seems to be an order to things, but it SHOULD work straight away as long as the Xite board has a happy slot.
On some systems you may need to trick the system by temporarily disabling the PCI hardware, install Xite board, let the system think it's boss by loading the Xite driver for the newly-found hardware, and then reboot to let the system re-seat the PCI cards - but I'm only assuming.

For me I think just temporarily moving the board to another slot and then back again did the trick.

Now, back to the fun... where do I get these new synths that Jim is showing off?

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Now I'm getting repeated DSP overload errors when running Xite (but not PCI). Seems my system doesn't like all the throughput.

Everytime I load ANYTHING, I get a DSP overlaod error - haha - go figure, 18 DSP's and can't even load any synths.

Obviously still testing...

Greg
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

I had some great results using Xite together with my Scope PCI, both using V5.0.
I just did some simple testing loadng a prodyssey and profit5 in a stm mixer on the pci card, and routing them via xlr outputs to my HiZ inputs on Xite. Runs very stable so far :)

Both Xite and Scope PCI have shared irq with some other devices, but i havent had any problems so far..

I will do some more testing next days, before i will sell it. Unfortunately i need the money otherwise i would definately keep it :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

Greg, have you gone into system information and checked for irq sharing?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

garyb wrote:Greg, have you gone into system information and checked for irq sharing?
Yes, currently sharing IRQ 16 with Nvidia - but I see no graphics anomalies or weirdnesses - just the DSP overload errors.

However, as I mentioned elsewhere - when I moved the PCI-e to the other slot closer to the end of the chain where the SRB currently sits, the system doesn't even see the hardware - no matter what I do to trick it into compliance.

I also can't sort out if it's possible to reassign IRQ's on this motherboard. Do you know if it's possible? There's nothing in BIOS or other tricks that will work so far.

Thanks,

Greg
garyb

Post by garyb »

well Greg, the other pcie buss may be disabled because of irq sharing. :)

sorry. you didn't have XITE back then. maybe you can lose the p1 now. :lol:

no, there isn't a way to eliminate the irq sharing. it's integral to both the motherboard contruction and ACPI as i understand it. i don't think standard pc is really the solution....
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

garyb wrote:well Greg, the other pcie buss may be disabled because of irq sharing. :)

sorry. you didn't have XITE back then. maybe you can lose the p1 now. :lol:

no, there isn't a way to eliminate the irq sharing. it's integral to both the motherboard contruction and ACPI as i understand it. i don't think standard pc is really the solution....
Yeah, it may be time to finally let go of the SRB, but I'm still using I/O on the P1, so...I'll think about it. :cry:
Yes, I recall that the IRQ config on this motherboard seem to be locked in.
So, maybe if/when I go Win7/more RAM/64-bit it'll be time to consider another motherboard - hope you're keeping track of the latest i7's and what-not, because I'm not :wink:

Until then, maybe the P1 will be surrendered - hopefully opening up an IRQ away from the Nvidia.

In the meantime I got an updated file from Ralf, so I'll check and see if that resolves anything somewhat.

Thanks,

Greg
katano

Post by katano »

Hi Greg,

any news on this?

Seems like I have to keep my Scope Pro, too. Because Dynatube sadly isn't running on Xite by now.

Cheers,
Roman
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

katano wrote:Hi Greg,

any news on this?

Seems like I have to keep my Scope Pro, too. Because Dynatube sadly isn't running on Xite by now.

Cheers,
Roman
No update on this yet.
Scope PCI and Xite ARE running in parallel here (two separate projects open at the same time) - but NOT running everything within one merged project since STDM still won't work between the two platforms.
In the meantime, all my PCI based-projects are tracking/mixdown based, and Xite is for synths, and other effect-laded projects requiring the overhead. Xite is ADAT linked to Scope PCI, so at least it can be tracked inside PCI environment.

So, everything is possible now EXCEPT running both PCI and Xite merged together via STDM cable somehow.

I say, keep the PCI environment for tracking and mixing (running your host, etc.), and then use Xite for all the expansive stuff. OR... use Xite for a slightly smaller tracking project, and still mix inside PCI, or... or... or...

Greg