Optimized Stock Devices

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Optimized Stock Devices

Post by dawman »

I am just trying everything out that I can in the XITE-1 like old plugs I never even used and trying to see how well plugs that have been optimized for the XITE-1 work.
On the new ADP's I have assigned a stock mixer to DSP # 7. Then started adding effects.
Celmo's Tape Sim is just a favorite Pad Delay I find hard to not use, and it uses a value of 500 bacause it has not been optimized, but still it's a low enough number that I can stick it in an AUX.
DAS Polteq is also a favorite on synths to draw out even more Buzzy tones but also takes like 300.
The STM1632 has never been a favorite of mine, but placing a stock Stereo Expander in the Master Effects slot widens the sound that custom mixers seem to have and it takes very little DSP. The mixer with all of the effects shown below takes less than 1/3 of an ADP DSP chip.
Eventually all 3rd party plugs will get optimized and until then I will use similar plugs, and 3rd party plugs that use small amounts of DSP.
The claim of 10 x Power of the new ADP DSP chips is actually accurate in optimized plugs.
By the time I finish this project, I will have EQ's and verbs applied.
The new SC 5.1 Room is the best choice for the channels, while plugs that aren't really optimised like DAS 224 and STW's can be used in the AUX's w/ no problemos.
The STW's seem optimized as a ridiculous amount can be loaded, been they have to be used wisely in a mixer that has been assigned to a certain DSP.
The old plugs sound really nice and will work fine while I wait for more rations of optimized plugs from 3rd party guys.
untitled.JPG
siriusbliss

Re: Optimized Stock Devices

Post by siriusbliss »

If I still had my A16, and 16 little cheapo powered speakers, I could re-test the z-matrix, which is a cool device for doing wild sound movement in live installation type of situations such as theaters, art galleries, etc.

You could also try routing it to other devices and automate the sound through and around the various synths, or whatever...

Also, wasn't there a simple drum/sample-based step sequencer out there somewhere? I may still have it.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well my live project is working fine.
I have Prowave, B2003, Modular, XOR and my analog synth screaming.
The first time I ever played my synths through the cabinets live and even had an FOH where I sent a 9 bus snaked output.
I use XOR and the SE-1 for lead/bass and have it going through a Sonalksis Lo-Fi plug and Softube feedback.
Modular is basically my 16 voice FM E.Piano, and Prowave is just a giant beast that does lead/bass/pads/wavetable and VS motions.
B2003 is just perfect when the classic rock stuff is played.
It's really cool seeing the pool area packed with dancing and these youngsters really like the classic rock stuff the best. The DJ's do our breaks and the Karaoke'd rap Gods with their silly backward hats perform. I never heard so many white guys that sounded like the Brotha's in my life. In most groups that are unpolished the DJ's usually have a better sound, but thankfully I work in a group that applies itself, and rehearsals always pay dividends.

But XITE-1 definately sounds better than the cards. The analog and ADAT I/O's just sizzle with filtery synth sounds.
I am a happy customer even though we have a long way to go.
I am looking forward to what's in store for us.

Thanks SCore..... :wink:

IMG_0861.jpg
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

this is the most nice way to ask :)

@Greg and jimmy what is your current working pc setup for xite-1. i'll start to make a new pc for xite.
thanks
dawman

Post by dawman »

DP35DP w/ a meger E8600 and 4GB's of cheap DDR2-800.
A 3GB PAE Swirth allows me to access more RAM under XP32 so I can play lots of samples from Kontakt/GVI/VST.
I am watching my friends AMD rig right now.
It is fast as hell and way more power than the current Intel I am using.
Gigabyte just released a new BIOS so I will see next week how 64bit Vista and 16GB's pf DDR3-1333 works.
I know the i7's are way more powerful and way more expensive.
For audio only a single PCI-e 16X card is what I need.
Many will argue how much better the i7 is, etc.
I don't care, our apps never need that much power as the developers of our software are always behind the curve.
Only recently have I seen true core assigning using quads, etc.
Intel is always a great way to go, but I will watch and wait and decide what to do later.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

jimmy do i need to buy the pice card? what comes with the box?
xite-1 and a dvi cable(looks like that) and power plug thats it...
thanks
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

firubbi wrote:this is the most nice way to ask :)

@Greg and jimmy what is your current working pc setup for xite-1. i'll start to make a new pc for xite.
thanks
Configuration is in my signature.
I'm anxious to get back to my studio tomorrow to play with Xite!

My machine was actually built by Gary B. over a year ago, since I have absolutely no time to build machines anymore.
I recommend contacting Gary, since he's a Scoper himself. There are plenty of other people here that are keeping up with the latest i7's and motherboards. I simply can't keep up anymore.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:DP35DP w/ a meger E8600 and 4GB's of cheap DDR2-800.
A 3GB PAE Swirth allows me to access more RAM under XP32 so I can play lots of samples from Kontakt/GVI/VST.
I am watching my friends AMD rig right now.
It is fast as hell and way more power than the current Intel I am using.
Gigabyte just released a new BIOS so I will see next week how 64bit Vista and 16GB's pf DDR3-1333 works.
I know the i7's are way more powerful and way more expensive.
For audio only a single PCI-e 16X card is what I need.
Many will argue how much better the i7 is, etc.
I don't care, our apps never need that much power as the developers of our software are always behind the curve.
Only recently have I seen true core assigning using quads, etc.
Intel is always a great way to go, but I will watch and wait and decide what to do later.
Yeah, it's amazing that my largest Scope project - with 2 mixers, comps, EQ's, synths, various other doodads is only a total whopping 200Meg footprint! Compare this to Ableton Live, which is sucking up 1.7Gig (and hitting the memory ceiling on a project I'm contracting on), and my larger Samplitude projects with Kontakt, or Omnisphere, or Superior2 gets up to 1Gig (which ain't bad).

I will still eventually go with Win7, i7, 16G RAM, etc. just to get horsepower behind the big sampler/ROMplers, but the more I play with the Scope synths, I may not even go that route. :wink:

Greg
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

siriusbliss wrote: My machine was actually built by Gary B. over a year ago, since I have absolutely no time to build machines anymore.
I recommend contacting Gary, since he's a Scoper himself.
his last recommended setup was intel dp35dp mobo+intel core2 duo E6850 4gb 800mhz ddr2 is still working nice with my pulsar2. we dont have this cool motherboard in the market anymore...
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www1.pricewatch.com/public/info2 ... id=3355967

This is basically the same one I use.
It is perfectly stable for audio.
Builders have gone with the Gigabyte Ultra Durables because they kept the same PCI 32bit design and added the PCI-e slots after the fact.
Intel's newest i7 mobo has terrible PCI 32bit performance according to more then one DAW builder I've spoken to. Something to do with cost cutting and 4 DIMM slots instead of six.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I`ve heard this girl is waiting for a new SDK working with vista driver....
:P maybe rumours

siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

She needs a plug-in. :lol:

Greg
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

more girls are interested in scope these days.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

As Joe Peschi would say...."I got you're plug in......right freakin' here" :lol:
Joel