Cannot install Xite-1 driver

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

Re: Cannot install Xite-1 driver

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

garyb wrote:the new cable may have an improper pinout. this is a problem for Ralf, i'm sorry to say...
but the new I(Maplins) cable worked fine at Maplins when used to play a DVD. I just can't understand why I am getting such different results, both in the Maplins store and on my PC with the Xite-1, using the Maplins cable and the one supplied with the Xite-1. Both cables are from, their descriptions and appearance, identical!
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Dude.........such a nice PC and a new XITE-1.....I would be steaming myself.
I can only say you have a kick but bunch of hardware, and once things get sorted out you'll be stylin'.
I sure hope I don't run into this crap when I do a new rebuild.
Makes me want to stay w/ SP2 and the 3GB Switch.

Good Luck Brotha' Man HNTM.... :)
Cheers Jimmy! It's just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!! Is there a fault with my PC? Is the Xite-1 not compatable with my PC? Is the Xite card faulty? Is the Xite cable faulty? Is there a problem with the driver?Looks like I need to buy a PCIE Network card to see if my PCIEx1 slot will recognise a PCIE card. I also need to find someone who has a PCIEx1 slot to test the Xite-1 - I have asked all my local friends and my local PC Service Centre with no luck so far. :evil:
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the cable might look identical, but just having the shield on a different pin would make it inoperable.
hesnotthemessiah

garyb wrote:yes, the cable might look identical, but just having the shield on a different pin would make it inoperable.
I am not sure what you mean by just having the shield on a different pin would make it inoperable. Why would the shield be on a different pin?
garyb

Post by garyb »

because there's NO assurance that the cable is a standard cable.

you need to ask S/C FIRST. an improperly wired cable could fry everything....

if you have a problem with the hardware, S/C can help. we're probably no help here, not on this one, although i would hope to be wrong.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Have you installed the intel chipset driver for the motherboard? the microsoft ones that windows uses by default will "work" for most motherboard components, but not optimally.
also have a look in the bios and make sure there is not some option to turn that slot on or off.

maybe you have some other card you can test in that slot like a usb or firewire card. i know they are not that common though it would be good to know that that slot is good so you can rule it out when troubleshooting.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there's a good suggestion.

did you run the install disk that came with the motherboard?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

$10 says that the DVI/HDMI cable is NOT pinned out the same as the Xite version. I'm presuming that S/C setup a quasi-proprietary pinout for the connector just for the purpose of working with the Xite.

BE CAREFUL.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

sorry to hear you had no success, but as garyb (and I) said: the cable may look like a generic DVI to HDMI cable but it could nevertheless have a somewhat different pinout.
that's why I recommended checking with ralf before if you can safely use another cable! I would not have tested it on my own without his OK for that...
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
hesnotthemessiah

Neutron wrote:Have you installed the intel chipset driver for the motherboard? the microsoft ones that windows uses by default will "work" for most motherboard components, but not optimally.
also have a look in the bios and make sure there is not some option to turn that slot on or off.

maybe you have some other card you can test in that slot like a usb or firewire card. i know they are not that common though it would be good to know that that slot is good so you can rule it out when troubleshooting.
garyb wrote:there's a good suggestion.

did you run the install disk that came with the motherboard?
Well the PC was built by Scan Computers - it's a DAW PC which has had good reviews in magazines like Sound On Sound. I don't know about the install disk that came with the motherboard. It was sent to me supposedly stress tested and ready to use. I don't know about the chipset driver...that goes way over my head i'm afraid! :P I can't see any options in the bios to turn the PCIE slots on or off. I think I will have to order PCIEx1 card to test out the slot on my PC.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

I'd offer to test the xite in one of may pcs, but I'm not even remotely located near reading... ;)
there is really no one with a pcie x1 slot in your area? phew...
btw, did you change back to the original cable, and if so, does it behave like before, or more like after you used the generic cable?
--
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I would listen to Kylie & Gary very carefully regarding the cable. It may be too late or it may be no problem, but either way I would NOT use the Maplin cable again unless you clear it with Sonic Core. To be frank I don't understand what made you assume that cable would be ok, as the test you did in Maplin didn't prove that the cables are the same, in fact it more likely proved that they're not the same, unless you were unlucky enough to get a faulty cable with your Xite, which would also make the cable test you did in Maplin a waste of time. At least you'll be able to get a refund at Maplin.
hesnotthemessiah

My PC has 2 lots of PCIE xI6 slots which I was using to run two graphics cards. I removed the second graphics card and tried the Xite-1 card in the PCIEx16 slot. Still get the same message Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1" when I try to install the driver and the card is not seen as an unknown device (with a yellow exclamation mark) in the device manager.

I think I have got a dodgy card!! :-?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

It looks that way if something was working in that slot before.
hesnotthemessiah

kylie wrote:I'd offer to test the xite in one of may pcs, but I'm not even remotely located near reading... ;)
there is really no one with a pcie x1 slot in your area? phew...
btw, did you change back to the original cable, and if so, does it behave like before, or more like after you used the generic cable?

Now that I have gone back to the original cable it is behaving like it did before.

Shroomz~> wrote:I would listen to Kylie & Gary very carefully regarding the cable. It may be too late or it may be no problem, but either way I would NOT use the Maplin cable again unless you clear it with Sonic Core. To be frank I don't understand what made you assume that cable would be ok, as the test you did in Maplin didn't prove that the cables are the same, in fact it more likely proved that they're not the same, unless you were unlucky enough to get a faulty cable with your Xite, which would also make the cable test you did in Maplin a waste of time. At least you'll be able to get a refund at Maplin.
At this point in time, I don't really want to comment on what Sonic Core told me about trying a different cable and I don't want to comment on why I don't want to comment on what Sonic Core told me about trying a different cable. And I don't want to comment on why I don't want to comment on why I don't want to comment on what Sonic Core told me about trying a different cable :P . Basically it could get a bit awkward.........
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Neutron wrote:It looks that way if something was working in that slot before.
if I'm not mistaken he tried the card before in slots that were unused before, with the same result. if no device is detected in either slot, I would assume something is broken.
the only way to check is either plugging other pcie cards into his slots or test the xite environment in a different computer.
--
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

hesnotthemessiah wrote:
kylie wrote:btw, did you change back to the original cable, and if so, does it behave like before, or more like after you used the generic cable?
Now that I have gone back to the original cable it is behaving like it did before.
well, that makes me think there _is_ some difference between the cables (either the pinout, or the original xite cable is broken indeed).
next test would be as decribed in my previous post. if nothing helps, you'll probably have to initiate a RMA with your dealer.

EDIT: btw, I'd still check if there's a bios update available for the board, as suggested in the other thread. it's a new machine, as I know now, so the chance they still fix the early bird errors is not too bad...
--
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

hesnotthemessiah wrote:It's a Scan DAW computer as reviewed in Sound On Sound and various other such magazines. I have had it for about a week - see the thread I started "My new Scan 3XS SA-i7 PowerDAW" over on the Tech Talk forum. I have just removed all the other cards in the PC (2 x Powercore PCI cards) and tried the Xite-1 card in the second PCIEx16 slot again. This time Windows loaded up fine but I still got the same Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1" message when I try to install the Xite-1 driver.
This is starting to sound like there might possibly be nothing wrong with the Xite or it's card & cable. It sounds more like issues with the mobo itself (or it's bios/settings) if the computer wouldn't start up with the poco pci cards installed along with Xite, but starts fine when you remove the poco cards.

I'd strongly recommend leaving out the poco cards as well as trimming back on other things that could potentially be causing problems, purely to get a simple/streamline starting point for testing your Xite. If you had fired up the machine with 2 x PCIE16x GFX cards, 2 x POCO cards & it all worked a treat, then fine, but since it didn't & you've already been messing around with removing cards, just cut the whole thing back to bare essentials & try to get the Xite running in the PCIEx1 slot after having made sure that everything is properly setup configuration-wise in the BIOS.

Edit - +1 on Kylie's recommendation of checking for a BIOS update.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

yes this is the case. too many cards. mobo cant handle. as Shroomz said you may start with a fresh pc. if xite work than try the next poco card. sorry to see that you're going through horrible time.
hesnotthemessiah

Shroomz~> wrote:If you had fired up the machine with 2 x PCIE16x GFX cards, 2 x POCO cards & it all worked a treat, then fine, but since it didn't & you've already been messing around with removing cards, just cut the whole thing back to bare essentials & try to get the Xite running in the PCIEx1 slot after having made sure that everything is properly setup configuration-wise in the BIOS.

Edit - +1 on Kylie's recommendation of checking for a BIOS update.

I had fired up the machine with 2 x PCIE16x GFX cards, 2 x POCO cards & it all worked a treat.

I really do think it is a problem with the Xite-1 card itself:- I know both PCIEx16 slots work fine. When I have my PC setup so that the only cards in it are one graphics card in the first PCIEx16 slot and the Xite-1 card in the second PCIEx16 slot, I still get the message Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1 when I try to load the drivers. Plus I don't see an unknown device (with a yellow exclamation mark) in the device manager. The Xite-1 should be flagged as multimedia controller in the device manager but is not.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Sorry about the problems.Just 1 question.Why 2 gfx cards in a computer for audio? I could see why if you use 3 or 4 screens.