How big is the Xite1 PCIE card?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

How big is the Xite1 PCIE card?

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Could someone post a picture of the Xite1 PCIE card? I need to see if it will fit into the PCIEx1 slot on my new PC's Gigabyte UD4 motherboard:-

This board has one PCIEx1 and one PCIEx4 slot. The two PCIEx16 slots are taken up by graphics cards. Problem is the actual space for the PCIEx1 slot is rather small. The only PCIE card I will have (once it arrives :P ) is for the Xite1 but I would really like a spare PCIE slot for the future.
netguyjoel

Re: How big is the Xite1 PCIE card?

Post by netguyjoel »

I'm pretty sure Jimmy posted a pic of one...it's not very big at all...
Joel
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Thanks Joel (and Jimmy :wink: ). I found Jimmy's post http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 42#p247642 and it looks like I should have no problem fitting the Xite's PCIE card into the UD4's PCIEx1 slot. :) . Wow!! These PCIE cards are tiny!! :P
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I'm just amazed that there is that much bandwidth, in such a small card, with so few teeth on them.... :wink:
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

I saw a little black baggie and after not finding a PCI-1X Card I finally opened up the baggie and Voila......
I thought Holger sent me an 8 Ball at first and was going to pack my beak in celebration after I hooked up the board.
But it ended up just being the card which was a better sight anyways....
garyb

Post by garyb »

the card is actually in the external box, the internal card is just the connector, it doesn't need to be big...
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

netguyjoel wrote:I'm just amazed that there is that much bandwidth, in such a small card, with so few teeth on them.... :wink:

My thought was the way the card interfaced w/ the motherboard...(serial vs parallel) with such a small slot to fit into, and yet still having 500 MB/sec...even compared to the PCI U320 SCSI controller card, at only 320 MB/sec...an Adaptec U320 SCSI controller PCI card is $400..and now it is in a slot 1/4th the size & next year, PCIe 3.0 will be 1 GB/sec...astonishing transfer rates, for such a compact interface. "pack my beak"...I haven't heard that in years :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joel
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

I'd like to see more detailed pics of that card, though (if possible).
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Notice the little notch in the PCB............?
Almost as if the card was meant for the Intel DP35DP motherboard.
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1910.jpg
dawman

Post by dawman »

It appears from a review I have seen of close ups, the cables from the various heatsinks is flexible and can be placed accordingly.
I am assuming the smaller wires which are exposed are for a case fan, etc.
I don't see those posing a problem.
Good builders always leave slack in their cabling as theyu assume the buyer will alkways have add ons unless he's a Mama's Boy............... :lol:
This appears to be the new updated board w/ 2 ounces of Copper on the PCB.........Ohh Boy...I bet they really thought that would justify another price increase,,,,,,, :lol:
Actually if this is the newest revision in hardware of the UD series, they have newer 6GB Marvel SATA II ports and Dual Auto Switching LAN ports, which seems to be good for guys using slaves and Vienna Pro 3.0 hosting software. No longer are interface cards or re loading of projects necessary while unplugging/plugging DAW's.
Image_08.jpg
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Notice the little notch in the PCB............?
Almost as if the card was meant for the Intel DP35DP motherboard.
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1910.jpg

It's so CUTE :lol:

little bugger handles a lot of throughput though, eh?

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes indeed it does.
I just optimized my rehearsal project and am hardly using anything in terms of DSP power.
I should have waited for the MiniMe version of XITE-1 as I won't need all of the power this thing has until I start really using large mixers and mic pres, etc. for a large show.
It is the ultimate live rack of shit...
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

The throughput of PCIe 1x, I'm sure the S|C guys made sure, whatever slot/protocol, they would select for XITE, would have the bandwidth to handle more than one XITE chained together (XTDM), and still have enough room in the pipe from the card to the rack...imho :wink:

I'm guessing they should easily be able to migrate to 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x if they desired....and that speed is just silly... :lol:
Joel
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

thanks so far, jimmy. there isn't a chance to trick you into thinking it would be great to rip the card off the case and shoot some closeups from both sides and the external connector, is it? :wink:
--
dawman

Post by dawman »

Mi Estas Matando Pinchy Way....
beaners.png
XITE-1 Connectors.JPG
dawman

Post by dawman »

It's a 24 pin layout. The pattern for the Male pins is 9 in, 6 blank and 9 more in.
Female is 24 pins.

Hope that helps you in your quest of knowledge.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Crikey... is that identical to a DVI socket/plug!?!

I hope things don't blow up if you end up plugging a monitor into it by mistake!!
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

it looks quite similar to something I have. I would just like to verify more precisely. if you should ever feel the urge to take out the card and make photos of both pcb sides, let me know, jimmy ;)
--
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Geez already... :wink: - OK, if Jimmy doesn't beat me to it, I'll take mine back out and do some 'snappy's fer ya before I get back into it early next week. (I have my key now).

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

ok, folks, no need to rip the card out anymore. I have confirmation now that my guesses were (only) partly right, but that also means that I have no short-term solution for all of you that want to use xite with a laptop (as I hoped). they'll have to wait for S|C to release it officially.
--