AMD Phenom II X4 955 w/ XITE-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jah Servant

Re: AMD Phenom II X4 955 w/ XITE-1

Post by Jah Servant »

I'm going to see how things go for you and then copy it :D
Actually I've been using amd processors for some years and have had no problem, always had an asus motherboard though. When I get xite (not sure when that'll be, hopefully this year though) I will have to build a new computer as I don't have a pci-e slot now, so maybe I'll go this way too, it makes sense. I really don't push the pc I have now to the limits at all, that's the thing with these cards we use, I just run cubase to hold audio tracks and for sequencing, I don't use any big sample libraries either, the heaviest thing I use is BFD for drums sometimes. You go Jimmy, I think it'll work out just fine bro, keep us updated, I know you will.
dawman

Post by dawman »

ANKYUVARYMUSH.....................the 4M8S/M2S are used on QWave and my external Analog SE-1. They are fierce predators for enlargening the sound.
8 entire insert FX racks, one for each mono signal coming from the 4M8S....ankyu.
untitled.JPG
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

SE1 mono in...stereo out..BRILLIANT!
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

JahServant made these modules.
QWave has 4 AUX mono outs, and in the V82 I have built in Valve emulations per channel.
Each channel can take the original mono signal, split it into stereo and hard pan.
The mixer channels can get really wide as each mono channels has an insert FX rack where I use different effects. QWave is such a beast of a synth when used this way.
The original Waldorf Wave synth sounds pale in contrast to this.

Here's the mighty beast.
First tests have been run with 16GB of DDR3 1333MHz.
This is where AMD has a small advantage as it was doing Opteron 64bit designs w/ success when Intel was still trying to figure out a way to cool down their stakced up Preston P4's.
I have seen all I need to see.
If 4 x 4GB DDR133's can be OC'd to 1600 running Prime Torture for hours over and over, that's enoough for me.
I only need 8GB's of RAM.
While 4GB sticks of DDR3 1600 TriChannel RAM go for 1400 USD currently from Kingston, I will relish in the fact I am going for the fastest low bidder, and the prices are going to drop even more with the announcement of the i5 Lynndale CPU's.
Those i5's look really sweet though I must say.
But every thousand counts with me these days.
I will build this puppy at the right time and stash my cash for a rainy day.
AM3.JPG
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am saddened somewhat as I had the oppurtunity after work to see a new Phenom II 955 build in 64bit XP.
I have figured out I actually will need 12GB's of RAM for my streaming needs, and I figured the new 4GB DIMM's would give me a total of 16GB's, which is actually a little room for future needs.
This model using the Gigabyte mobo and DDR1333MHz and 8GB's worked really well as a Veinna Ensemble 2 streamer. But the new DIMM's caused the streaming process to pop and click and it seems the AMD Phenom II's are a great choice as long as your needs for RAM are 8GB's or less.
I am glad I waited to see this DAW. Who knows how long it will take to fix this issue? My partner just keeps trying new BIOS revisions, installs, etc. Once I see that kind of time wasting tweaking, I know better than to even try using that in a live venue.
I shall go for the i7 build afterall. The newly released 975/950 DO's are already bringing the former i7's down in price, and they are a well matured product.
To make things even better, the Gigabyte X58's are getting upgraded w/ 6GB Marvell SATA Ports, 24 phase power, and a host of other BIOS tweaks that prove once again that Gigabyte has what it takes to be the top X58 mobo manufacturer. Intel and Asus are probably equally good choices. But at the NAB show Gigabyte had an impressive booth, and the booth babes were the finishing touch as well.
Anyone who will only need 8GB's of RAM in 64bit, cannot go wrong with the AMD Phenom II's and a Gigabyte 790GX board. It is cheap, fast and stable.
But more than 8GB's for large live templates will need the X58's.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=608
David

Post by David »

Thanks for that review Jimmy, it's helped me make my choice
dawman

Post by dawman »

I should mention that I did see this 985 USD AMD streamer kick major butt though.
The 4GB DIMM's are still new and the DDR3 1066 speed was stable using 2 x 4GB DIMM's.
He even built this w/ 2 x HDD's, an OCZ Mod Stream PSU, a short 4U ATX 15" deep, the mobo, RAM and CPU. A total DAW that streams really well w/ a case etc. for 1135 USD.
The Muse Receptors are over twice that price w/ 2GB's of RAM, but they do include soft freebies that pretty much suck IMHO.
Since I could fit one these in the back of my racks behind the rack mounted LCD, I think I could use it as a slave and put a Scope Luna card in with it for the ADAT I/O's and solve my RAM and extra 16 channels of MIDI I need.
So yes, I am still waffling. The stability I have had w/ the DP35DP has been 100% perfect.
I have no idea when I will see 64bit drivers either. I do know everything I have works perfect in 32bit.
Instead of turning down a showroom gig where I might need Orchestral and synths as well as Pop horns, etc. I could just build a cheap DAW like above in 32bit and achieve a workable solution. As drivers become available and 4GB RAM DIMM's come down in price, and mobo's get BIOS updates, as these AMD am3 boards are pretty new, I could use a small DAW like this w/o taking any chances. I have been doing gigs w/ the XITE-1 on the weekends, but I start a full time gig in 2 weeks so I won't have the luxury of free downtime to try a single DAW approach. I will have to add as I go along and the AMD w/ it's ridiculously cheap and proven build using the 2GB DIMM's is still a possiblilty.
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3589

This is more proof of the wasted resources used in DDR3-2000 for sample streaming.
Everyone in audio is suppose to leave their PC alone and never OC it as it you will shorten it's life.
I do believe this but on the other hand w/ a good BIOS slight OC'ing of RAM/CPU can also provide the exact performance you want.
For example, streaming sampler apps. and a few choice VST plugs is all I really need.
So the power of the i7 920 is actually a waste of resources, but it is a great CPU and the price is very competitive.
I just get so turned off by having every motherboard w/ 4 x PCI-e 16X, and Triple RAM channels, etc. And so far for audio the DDR3 Triple RAM has zero benifits.
However the speed of the RAM for the sampler apps is actually using the bandwidth up to around 1333MHz. The difference between 1600MHz and 1333MHz has no noticable benefit. And the whole triple RAM thing is as ridiculous as the 300 dollar X58 motherboards.
But anyone into gaming and unique audio software might possibly have a need if the apps have been optimized.
I really would love to go with AMD, but until I see the 4GB DIMM's actually working on all 4 x DIMM slots, I ain't budging.
My rig can do just enough right now for what I need unless I get a gig where Orchestral libraries with large footprints are needed.
SInce we don't have 64bit drivers, I could easily build another 32bit 4U, 15.5" ATX for a meger 1,100 bucks.
I really like Gigabyte's stuff, especially the 1 x PCI-3 16X, 2 x 32bit PCI, 1 x PCI-e 1X motherboard.
It's a new AMD board with no extra bull shit that I'll never use.
If mobo manufacturers would release Intel boards trimmed down like that I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. But their duty is to promote new platforms and keep the OS chase game alive.
I might just build a little slave with a Pro card to serve as a back up in some cases, or just for the extra RAM for large Orchestral gigs.
One thing is certain though. They are shoving this shit down out throat and none of the apps I see or use, or have even heard of can use the bandwidth of triple DDR3.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Look at this perfect little 75 dollar mobo......................
I know I am a waffler, but I write music the same way, I can't help it.
I will write 10-12 takes and variations, and then all of a sudden make a decision.
But one things certain. If I go AMD, I must use a vendor with a reputation for stability, and just look at this simple, perfectly designed mobo.
For me, I want a few VST effects, PTeq PhysMod Piano and serious streaming speeds w/ DDR3 1333MHz.
This board lacks all of the gunk I don't want or need.
The build including a 4U ATX case is now under 1000 USD. That's 50% less than it would be to do with an i7 that forces me to have unused slots, and triple channel SCAM, sorry I mean RAM.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainbo ... -ud3p.html
board-2.jpg
dawman

Post by dawman »

Since I want a fast streamer certain benches are a good indicator of the performance one can get.
Reading RAM speeds are crucial, and yes the i7 is ahead of the AM3 but not by very much.
Put it this way, unless your using 64bit w/8GB's of RAM for samples and using the max amount, I doubt you would ever even hit 5500MB's using high poly and 16 MIDI tracks running samples. So all of these big benches, and numbers and extra 16X slots won't help and actually slows things down a bit.
Because of the lack of gunk on the 770 chipset it actually has the same RAM latency but higher bandwidth than the top shelf Gigabyte UD5....
Pretty umpressive for 80 bucks..
bench.JPG
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

Well certainly you save a lot of money by going with the AMD boards. But I figure the computer is so basic to the whole show, and at a fraction of what the Xite and other sound generating hardware costs, and given the really high performance of the more recent Intel chips....I'm going to stick with Intel.

I've had a lot of grief setting up the ASRock motherboard, but once I got it running (it's been rock stable now for nearly a week, running Prime95 every night, compiling software by day), it really cooks:

ASRock X58 SuperComputer, Core i7 Extreme 975, 4100 MHz

Memory Read 18398 MB/s
Memory Write 15153 MB/s
Memory Copy 19126 MB/s
Memory Latency 45.7 ns

The downside is it's noisy. Which is why I'm looking at the Gigabyte MB with the watercooled NB & SB, which should be nearly completely silent. Either Way the Intel 975 CPU and X58 NB is a great combination. Here is the full Everest benchmark suite:

http://algoart.com/betalist/ASRock-X58.htm
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com
dawman

Post by dawman »

The ASRock is the only board w/ 3 x PCI's and they should be commended for that.
I just want a streamer w/ stability and a board w/o all of the unneeded crap.
My apps won't ever stream more than 5000mbps so I really don't mind the higher priced i7's, I just hate the whole debacle and unneccesary bandwidth and triple PCI-e 16X's, and Triple RAM. I see it as wasted resources for a streamer.
I wish someone would release an i7 board better suited for my needs.
Besides the extra gunk, the i7 has the on die memory controller which makes these boards easier to build, but naturally just throw in a few PCI-e 16's that nobody really needs and raise the price and pace of technology....
I don't know if you are an overclocker but my bro who has the AMD streamer slave has a main DAW w/ the i7 and the Gigabyte UD4P and he uses the i7 920 and OC's it to 4GHz......!!! He can run a ridiculous amount of Algorhithmix and Sonalksis plugs on it, so I can vouge for Gigabyte's stability and dual BIOS working well.
I am a whiner becuase I live in a world where gamers spend billions so the designs we see are better suited for them, Audio buffs are a very small percentage of the market. So when I see a board and CPU that has just the right amount of features I tend to want that solution.
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

Yes, I overclock. 4.1 GHz, as posted above, on this board. The chip can do better than that, but the ASRock runs too hot, so that is as far as I could go and maintain stability.

Don't be upset with the gamers. Without them we'd be paying double or triple for the same performance. They totally drive the performance graphics cards, and they have a huge influence on keeping prices down and performance up on CPUs. Right now, the big thing is multiple graphics cards, which is why you get the extra PCIx slots. But because of them, overall cost is less not more.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am not upset w/ gamers, they drive the market and as far as cheap prices, what do think Intel would do if AMD wasn't around?
I remember paying 1000 USD for 1GHz Coppermine in '99........ :o
I just see so many friends w/ MacPro's and i7 rigs that have home studios and barely use the power or extra gadgets. I have done this for years too as I always had to have the newest Intel.
Once I figured out that SATA 150MB standards is all I need for streaming live, and Memory reads of a low nature, are all my apps require, I decided to help all of you guys out by buying an AMD.
Worst case scenario, I won't like it and can replace my internet PC which is way old but still useful.
Besides, the power of the XITE-1 and quality of sound I get really negate the high powered needs many others have.
Sure be nice to have both, but Solaris and XITE-1 was enough to keep my head down until I find a really mobile solution w/ i7 power in a laptop.
There are some available now, but I'll take one of those later at a reduced rate in 2010 for half price. By that tine I will be tired of lugging all of this gear around, w/o a crew this whole live thing gets to me after 12 set up and tear downs per week.
These Union stagehands are often just overpaid door holders....... :x