Laptop Piano w/ XITE-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Laptop Piano w/ XITE-1

Post by dawman »

For anyone contemplating an XITE-1 w/ a Laptop the new version 3.0 from PianoTeq uses very little resources and sounds pretty damn good.
I am sure many perfectionists will find imperfections w/ it but I will use this in a live ensemble as those imperfections won't even be noticed in that venue.
First of all I never like IR's very much unless they are for the pedal down instances where they actually fit well.
PTeq 3.0's reverbs are blended w/ the 5 various mic placements and they all sound fine for ensemble work and R & B / Blues Solo work. The Rhodes and Wurlitzer sound just as good also.
One unique addition is the pedals actually work like a real Piano.....imagine that.
It also has 5.1 capabilities and I really am interested to see how well that works w/ the 5.1 Surround Room that XITE-1 has.

This was a big step up from version 1 and 2, and for anyone who wants some good electric pianos, an Upright and a Grand all off of a 2.0GHz laptop, this should work just fine.
Ben Walker

Re: Laptop Piano w/ XITE-1

Post by Ben Walker »

Great. I'm very happy with Version 2, looking forward to trying version 3 tonight.

Ben
dawman

Post by dawman »

It's been so long since I played Piano using a sostenuto pedal or una corde, but I just realised that to get the highest numbers of velocity levels the una corde must be attached.
This looks even better to me on day 2.
I thought I'd do a demo using the sostenuto pedal, and yes I am very rusty as I haven't done this for a while, so pardon the klunkers. I am excited about practicing as if I were on a real Piano, when it's just a virtual one.
Hands down, this is the only choice for a laptop.

The preset I used was the stock C3 w/o any editing.
Personally I find it is overbathed in Reverb, but all developers of virtual instruments are as insecure as vocalists who also love to bathe in reverb... :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

I know this an XITE-1 thread, but for guys with older CPU's like the P4 2.4GHz Northwood's and even a single card, this should work I would think too, and if not removing the IR and using Warp69's P100 should sound even better.
You can actually even choose the option for multi core rendering....
The more I play this the more I like it, especially for live use.
I wouldn't stack EPianos with an Acoustic so this gives me 4 instruments on 1 MIDI channel.
4 preset changes allows a Rhodes w/ auto pan, a Wurlitzer w/ vibrato, a C3 Grand w/ IR & mic placement, and a damn nice sounding R & B Upright...I can't stop playing this little beauty.

So Yes, I Can Say This Dog Will Hunt.. :wink:

Below mp3.........................................

Harmonic Pedalling w/ Sostenuto Pedalling.
Since the Harmonic is a great gimic effect, I gave it a toggle switch button from one of the 88'r's so I could use it on ethereal whole tone scale ascending/descending runs. Of course while only sustaining the lowest Octave on the C3 Model using the Sostenuto.
Last edited by dawman on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.