XITE-1 / Rompler 4U DAW

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

XITE-1 / Rompler 4U DAW

Post by dawman »

An alternative to the 8 core MacPro's that use the dual Xeon socket 771's.
Supermicro C7X58.

Many guys using MacPro's w/ 8 cores can load tons of plugs and massive Romplers in a single template which is impressive, and very expensive.
These guys are doing large scoring and video trailers where a single enviroment using Nuendo and 64bit O.S. w/ Sunflower, etc. and various workarounds that have 32bit Romplers.
Lot's of work but with impressive results.

A reasonable early solution using a 32bit O.S. w/ a motherboard that can be upgraded to the 64bit game at a later date costs a meger 800 USD.
That ain't cheap, but it is a significant improvement for Romplers and plug counts in 32bit, that could be re designed later w/ a 64bit O.S. and an 8 core 32nm down the road.
Personally I do not see 8 cores as vital for what I want.
I only recently see the advantage of a quad actually.
But the high speed low latency DDR3 Tri Channel RAM is fairly cheap now, and it will be a big benefit for VST work.

I really wanted to use a laptop but the biggest drawback is a small LCD.
For many this won't be a drawback, but after playing around with a laptop for month and seeing the advantages it offers, the mobility issue is the only reason for having one.
The 17" LCD is kind of small IMHO.

Total price for the mobo, CPU, and RAM is 800.
By the time I would do this it will drop a little more in price as Intel needs to push these CPU's out in larger volume, especially after their recent stock quote on the 23rd.
igge1

Re: XITE-1 / Rompler 4U DAW

Post by igge1 »

Ooohh, that's a neat cablejob. Nice colourmatching too.