XITE : your wishes

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

bill3107

Re: XITE : your wishes

Post by bill3107 »

Ralf's humour sounds like "hey guys, we release xite next week !"... Don't be so cruel with us !!! :D

Well at least we know our wishes are read :) ... that was the purpose ! :o

As for promotion, I would say that for the first time our DSPs can be seen and the "hardwarization" :roll: of the product can help a lot (hard to notice you have 42 DSP inside your PC indeed...). Do you remember all these synth with a big white Roland or Boss at the rear face ? Promotion and marketing ... Xite can really make the difference among other devices / gear...
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

sonolive wrote:
But not many would - that was my point
did you mean "no one else" ??? ;-)
Yeah, something like that :D
bill3107 wrote:Ralf's humour sounds like "hey guys, we release xite next week !"... Don't be so cruel with us !!!
Since they were 95% finished with the software at NAMM, according to some reports, then I would imagine the remaining 5% would take more than 2-3 days to finish :)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

OK, guys, maybe something slightly different there: a reduced version of the XITE-1 without the PRE-AMP (which could be added after as an expansion) with less DSP (maybe a basic 6 DSP version provinding the former max DSP-power) upgradable with some 2 DSP boards like the one offered for the liquid mix to increase the DSP power step by step.

The price announced for the Xite-1 being 3 200 €, the price of a basic 2 DSP power unit could be arround 500 € without any preamp. The expansion board (max 8 of them to reach the standard Xite-1 DSP power) could be sold 300 € (in the same range as the Liquid mix DSP expansion board, so 8 x 300 = 2400 €) and another 300 € (?) for the dual channel Mic PreAmp with some alternative third party PreAmp options and an additionnal fee for the connexion card (PCIe or expresscard).

So a full range including:
- Xite Home (2 DSP basis) for 500 € with only the basic scope home plug-ins (the DSP power of 1 PCI scope Pro)
- Xite Project (4 DSP system) for 1000 € with the scope project plug-ins
- Xite Pro (6 DSP system) for 1500 € with the Pro plug-ins package

All in all, I wish something scaleable...
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

HUROLURA wrote:OK, guys, maybe something slightly different there: a reduced version of the XITE-1 without the PRE-AMP (which could be added after as an expansion) with less DSP (maybe a basic 6 DSP version provinding the former max DSP-power) upgradable with some 2 DSP boards like the one offered for the liquid mix to increase the DSP power step by step.

The price announced for the Xite-1 being 3 200 €, the price of a basic 2 DSP power unit could be arround 500 € without any preamp. The expansion board (max 8 of them to reach the standard Xite-1 DSP power) could be sold 300 € (in the same range as the Liquid mix DSP expansion board, so 8 x 300 = 2400 €) and another 300 € (?) for the dual channel Mic PreAmp with some alternative third party PreAmp options and an additionnal fee for the connexion card (PCIe or expresscard).

So a full range including:
- Xite Home (2 DSP basis) for 500 € with only the basic scope home plug-ins (the DSP power of 1 PCI scope Pro)
- Xite Project (4 DSP system) for 1000 € with the scope project plug-ins
- Xite Pro (6 DSP system) for 1500 € with the Pro plug-ins package

All in all, I wish something scaleable...
I presume they're possibly planning something like this for the future - scalability.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

stardust wrote:DSP internal illumination.
Yeah, ice blue neon lighting the board or just the glow from the DSPs through a clear top panel and green leds on the fan which change to red as it warms up
:lol:
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Mary Mungo wrote:
stardust wrote:DSP internal illumination.
Yeah, ice blue neon lighting the board or just the glow from the DSPs through a clear top panel and green leds on the fan which change to red as it warms up
:lol:
heh - yeah, blinky lighty thingys RULE!
(they also require a little power, and circuitry, and more parts to add cost, and, and, and...)...

But would be a nice addition in the future ('hey, is this thing on?')... :lol:

Greg
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

sonolive wrote:hi guys,

let's be serious for few minutes ... if i quote all of your "high end " wishes in this thread ... unfortunately i don't have time to do it as there are so much ... we would have an "unbelievable" 1U rack ... i even think that it should be a 2 or 3 U rack ... ;-)

but over all, at what price ??? 5000, 6000 euros ???

the same that need more and more option are the same that also ask for a minus version a bit cheaper ... there is something wrong guyz !

soundesigner, you would like a really "high end" reverb, at what price ? how much could you invest in it ? 1000, 2000 euros ??
I don't just want a minus version of XITE-1 but want BOTH big and little versions. And i think it's wise S|C come with big version first. When i mentioned high-end plugins i did'nt necessarily mean they should be included with XITE-1 (they could be sold as separate add-ons) so there would be no need to increase the price of XITE-1. I also never meant that certain high-end plugins need to come to this platform right now, the only thing i want soon is the new hardware and Vista support, everything else can come slowly as time passes. But i do believe some truly high-end plugins should come to SCOPE Platform at some point in time because to have that reputation you need that firepower. All the advertisement and marketing in this world may not help SonicCore enough at some point down the road if the Platform is'nt strenghthened in all the right ways. Sometimes there's more then one problem that prevents a product from doing well, or as good as it could.

Ultimately i believe XITE-1 will do just fine on the Market and i will support to help ensure this. It is going to be high-end in many ways at release, i'm just hoping it grows stronger on more fronts as time passes (and i'm sure it will).

To answer your question regarding what i would invest for high-end reverb, i would spend up to $800 for a high-end reverb that is available on many platforms. $800 would take me several months to save since my pockets don't run deep. If the reverb was exclusive for SCOPE then i'd spend up to $1200, i normally would not spend that high amount since it's far out my budget range but i would be compelled to support any developer who did this because i know such is great for the SCOPE Platform in the long-run.

Don't think other consumers won't spend alot of money for plugins, Powercore plugins are not cheap and that platform is still around, and their plugins is exclusive for their platform. likewise with the expensive Algorithmix as far as survival goes. Quality is worth a heavy price to many of us out here and is highly saught after. XITE-1 is not cheap and far beyond my budget range but i plan on getting one threw heavy sacrifice because it is high-end in several ways and because i like to support S|C for producing such a great product and being so ambitious in ways that i like.

All are just my opinions and beliefs ofcourse.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Warp69 wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:I think as long as their very high-quality and only available for SCOPE that's most important.
To create a very high-quality plugin and only make it available for Scope is only possible for SC. If a 3rd party developer use 1+ year for developing a high-quality plugin, they need to sell 3000+ units and thats not currently possible on Scope.
Understood. Hopefully XITE-1 will be a big success at some point then maybe exclusive plugins from 3rd party won't be such a gamble. Or delayed release to other Platforms :) ..
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Sounddesigner wrote:But i do believe some truly high-end plugins should come to SCOPE Platform at some point in time because to have that reputation you need that firepower. All the advertisement and marketing in this world may not help SonicCore enough at some point down the road if the Platform is'nt strenghthened in all the right ways. Sometimes there's more then one problem that prevents a product from doing well, or as good as it could.
I agree - SC have the hardware platform for the future - after the releaseof XITE, which I hope is very soon, they should concentrate heavily on updating the software/plugins. It shouldn't take long to update the existing effects with better quality, flexibility and graphics.

I wouldn't mind using half (or more) of a ADSP-21369 for compressor emulations (REALLY good) of Urei 1176 Blue Stripe, Retro Sta-Level, Neve 2254 etc. We could always have SE light versions.
Sounddesigner wrote:To answer your question regarding what i would invest for high-end reverb, i would spend up to $800 for a high-end reverb that is available on many platforms. $800 would take me several months to save since my pockets don't run deep. If the reverb was exclusive for SCOPE then i'd spend up to $1200, i normally would not spend that high amount since it's far out my budget range but i would be compelled to support any developer who did this because i know such is great for the SCOPE Platform in the long-run.
I do believe that $1200 (or even $800) is too expensive for plugins - IMO the best price point would be between $249 and $499 for truly high-end plugins - so the next questions are :

* What is truly high-end?
* Do we have any plugins in that category right now?
* What should be the first plugin in that category?
Sounddesigner wrote:Don't think other consumers won't spend alot of money for plugins, Powercore plugins are not cheap and that platform is still around, and their plugins is exclusive for their platform. likewise with the expensive Algorithmix as far as survival goes. Quality is worth a heavy price to many of us out here and is highly saught after. XITE-1 is not cheap and far beyond my budget range but i plan on getting one threw heavy sacrifice because it is high-end in several ways and because i like to support S|C for producing such a great product and being so ambitious in ways that i like.
They have the recognition that SC doesn't have (yet). UA, TC, SSL etc. are all established names in the pro world.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

erminardi wrote:Me too: XTC is very important!
In the market Xite could fight with UAD, POCO, ecc. ;)
with xtc ppl who has ssl_duende,UAD,POCO can buy and enjoy the sound of Scope and vice versa :)
starcorp

Post by starcorp »

i ordered the xite month ago and i expect 64 bit driver when it will release. nothing less.
jan
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

starcorp wrote:i ordered the xite month ago and i expect 64 bit driver when it will release. nothing less.
jan
Again, 64-bit is in the plan, but probably won't be released when Xite arrives.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

starcorp wrote:i ordered the xite month ago and i expect 64 bit driver when it will release. nothing less.
jan
Maybe we can kindly ask them to hold it back until the 64bit are ready.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Most of my songs are 2-bit anywho.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

next to nothing wrote:
jan
Maybe we can kindly ask them to hold it back until the 64bit are ready.
maybe they already are - not sure.

From what I heard/saw at NAMM, they were just buttoning up some issues with PCI cable, and finishing up manufacturing issues with the case.

Greg
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

too many versions of xite-1 will stop the sale of current version.
i have apogee mini-me so i guess i dont need the preamp but many ppl will do + its a mobile solution. how much money we can save by xite-preamp? $300?
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Warp69 wrote:
I do believe that $1200 (or even $800) is too expensive for plugins - IMO the best price point would be between $249 and $499 for truly high-end plugins - so the next questions are :

* What is truly high-end?
* Do we have any plugins in that category right now?
* What should be the first plugin in that category?
Those are good questions. My opinions are below, but i would be interested in yours aswell since your the expert.

1. Much of what's high-end is subjective i believe. If its a developer like you making a reverb plugin then to your taste the sound of the plugin should be in the same league with your favorite hardware units that brings a big smile to your face. The reverb plugin does'nt have to be all the way as good as some of your favorite hardware but still in the same league in order to be "Truly high-end" to your taste. As a consumer Likewise, but high-end from a relative sense is it needs to be better then the current crop of plugins in virtual-world or as good as those who hold the crown "powercore" to a large group of consumers. The developer will know it when they make it and we'll know it when we hear it :) ..

2. I think XITE-1 will be top-notch in terms of dsp power, routing, modular 3, convenience, etc but no truly high-end effects/processors for SCOPE imo (unless new plugins released with Xite are that level). I'm not saying the SCOPE effects and processors are bad cause some are quite good actually to my taste, and i generally prefer the SCOPE Processors and effects over those i've tried of Big-name companies plugins on other platforms (i never tried Powercore, duende, nor Algorithmix tho). And they get the job done just fine generally. But to answer your question i don't believe there are any effects/processors in SCOPE that are truly high-end. Personal taste ofcourse.

3. The first high-end plugin effect/processor i personally would want for SCOPE is either reverb or compressor. ATM i'm satisfied with EQ's (Nugen Audio SEQ2, and Brainworx). I think Virtual-world is in Greater need for the truly high-end Reverbs and Compressors then other things. That's my opinion tho, i'm sure some may disagree.

P.S Your price points for "truly high-end" seems very low compared to what the rest of the market charges for what they consider high-end plugins (often my ears disagree tho the plugins are very expensive, but i'm no expert i only buy according to my taste), ofcourse as a consumer i have no complaints about your prices and hope it becomes that way.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Truly high-end plugins for me are plugins that rivals the best from the hardware world. Not many plugins do that. My next reverb release will rival the 2nd best hardware, which is still regarded as truly high-end. It's extremely difficult to create insanely awesome plugins (well - a new category - IAP) and it takes ALOT of time. Bricasti will probably not release another hardware box in the future, since the current product should last 10+ years - they will update the firmware with additional algorithms - the same is probably true for Quantec as well. Casey used 3 years to develope the current algorithm and will use 2 years for each additional algorithm. The Bricasti algorithm requires a sustained memory access rate of almost 3 Gbytes/sec - The algorithm maintains thousands of 30+ second delay paths through 100s of Mbytes of memory. Casey states that the first algorithm took a fast Intel processor 9 months SOLID of processing in order to optimize it (delay lengths and coefficients), and that the newest algorithm is taking a solid year. George Massenburg will release a compressor - combining analog and digital (operating at 384+KHz) parts - the unit was delayed because the required processing power was WAY too expensive - he will probably use multiple sharcs now, like Bricasti. I don't think we would get close to that quality in the plugin world for the next 5 years.

It's not easy to emulate analog hardware, because of the zero delay feedbacks used in both EQ's and compressors - the easy way is to process the samples at 192Khz+ with oversampling. The problem is processing power - would you buy a truly high-end plugin that used 1-2 of the DSPs on XITE? Not many would.

I don't think that Scope have any truly high-end plugin right now either - I obviously don't need a high-end reverb for the XITE platform - I would much rather have compressors, EQ's and especially Eventide like effects.

Regarding price - UA and SSL prices are in the same range (even abit cheaper).

Kind regards
Martin
dawman

Post by dawman »

O.K.

I have another wish.
You develope high quality reverbs for XITE-1.
You know you are torturimg me talkin' like this.
Count me in on the R & D.
I'm good for it..... :wink:

2 x ADSP-21369's ....hmm. I'm thinking I'll use 12 DSP's for the uiltimate surround mix, and 6 DSP's for other Synths, FX and SpaceF mixers.