1U ITX Solution For XITE-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

1U ITX Solution For XITE-1

Post by dawman »

http://www.logicsupply.com/

For those who want a larger than 18" LCD Laptop and retain the mobility in an Industrial/Military chassis this looks perfect for a shockmounted 4U ATA.
A 20.1" LCD could be housed in an SKB Mixer Pop Up Case.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DAVSKB19P12

Built in Graphics w/a T9600 Socket P CPU is plenty of power. Using XP32 and the PAE 3GB Switch would run a large amount of VSTi Romplers w/ a sequencer app. as well. 2 x 2GB DIMM's of DDR2 RAM.

The 4U would allow 8U worth of hardware using front and back rails.

Personally I would use a 7200 rpm of the Barracuda type for the O.S. + Apps. drive.
And 2 x SATA II 16MB cache HDD's for sample content.
2 x VelociRaptors sounds impressive, but are a luxury only.
dawman

Re: 1U ITX Solution For XITE-1

Post by dawman »

The same architechture is used for Receptors and V Racks.
But the Linux O.S. used on the Recptor seemes to allow some fascinating tricks, but it's Achille's Heel is it's incompatability w/ all VSTi's.
They must be Receptorized.
It's not perfect yet I agree, but the path is definately being blazed as we have seen powerful applications using less than this, that can operate large Romplers w/ ease.
We only need a GPU w/ embedded RAM for the perfect mock up.

A larger solution w/ a PCI-e 16 Riser card for a more powerful design.
This would also house the DFI mATX P45, or a Supermicro mATX.
Last edited by dawman on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I suggested that ITX solutions might be worth consideration about 2 years ago on planetZ & it went down like a hummer in Baghdad. I guess ITX's have evolved enough to be worthy.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

FWIW, astroman has direct experience with a particular ITX board running Scope. He's posted about it on the forum a few times.
dawman

Post by dawman »

A riser card would allow more. Actually there would be heat issues using 3 of these I would think on a 90 degree riser.

This is for XITE-1 anyway.
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16642

For anyone who wants to go to a 1U design using WIndows 7 64bit, and 8GB's of DDR2 RAM, this looks like a great little option.
I am still looking at the Intel DG45FC. I can keep using my current RAM and CPU.

These are all great options for the XITE-1 because a simple 2U ATA case could house the DAW, the XITE-1, and A16U and a short 1U drawer w/ a USB QWERTY/Trackball combo.
I am quite confident I won't be needing 64bit or even a quad core CPU.
Even if I decide to go Orchestral and add LASS strings ( awesome new instrument ), I could add another mini-ITX into the 1U and have 2 seperate DAW's in a 1U actually.

Sharing resources like CPU and RAM for the graphics has always been a supposed no-no but plenty of chaps are using Supermicro 1U's for DAW's that have less powerful Graphics than the options above. The Zotac has the 9300 chip that delivers real good DVI and 3D graphics, but all the XITE-1 w/ some VST 2D stuff would need is the current Intel chip.
c147_pic2_big.jpg
intel-dg45fc-02.jpg
thermaltake 1U.jpg
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

How would you wedge the PCIe card in the 1U...riser card...possibly...but would it even fit w/ a riser?

and would that mb support dual display??
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

The PCI-e 1X connector is the only connection to the motherboard.
The Intel above is strictly an XITE-1 only solution, no other cards for GPU, or DSP.
I can actually take my current parts and stick them in the DG45FC and have the luxury of a 2U ATA that will house everything I need for my current gig.
I wouldn't need the SE-1X actually since we have a bassist with a great sound and feel.
I can put all of my gear in the 2U and have the 8U LCD in the pop up mixer ATA.
And the DG45FC does have dual monitor capability but I don't need that for stage.
My LCD usually stays dark since I never touch the rig while playing.
Vegas is full of Bushleaguer's who find it totally acceptable to have the audience stare at their foul dorrierre while they squint and load.
I am in no need of extra power or new apps, I can't wait for a laptop or 64bit any longer either. Mobility needs to happen now as I pack my rig everynight and it sucks.
I like valet parking, and this will let me park and unload everything onto my cart, speakers, etc.
XITE-1 PORTABLE.JPG
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

how bout wunna deez... :wink:
r1014-7.jpg
r1014-7.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050640

These guys are all pretty much DIY geeks and IT guys, so there's 47 pages over the last year of new BIOS updates, etc. All sorts of geeky tweakers who even Overclock CPU's and move jumpers via soldering...
It's just proof of how successful this little Bastard really is.
I could wait for the new AMD mini-ITX w/ sideport RAM which basically takes the graphics juice right from the RAM instead of the systems resources, but I can tell the amount of graphics power I will need is slim.
The guys at the AV forum actually laughed when I told them I was concerned.
They said why aren't you using 3D with all of this power..? Pretty much answered my meger 2D questions.

Nope........I have an extra never used E8500 and I can use the same RAM, etc.
I will spend a total of 350 bucks and I already have the cases. They are old and beaten, from my first Scope days before I bought the 16U's. SO I will be mobile soon.
After Labor Day I have 3 weeks off to verify it's stability, if it sucks, it will be my new Internet PC.

What I like the most is the way I can add another mobo/RAM/CPU if I need more sampled content. Kontakt and Gigastudio allow great editing of unnecessary samples and layers so I probably will be happy with 1 x mini-ITX. But hey, 64bit and 300 dollar i7 boards can wait.
I have watched guys stumbling around with Kontakt and Cubase in 64bit, and I just can't stand wasting time staring at an LCD wondering which app is fucked up. Next year or 2011 maybe.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

The case at the top of the thread...i'm guessing it has a SATA backplane for the hotswap bays or would you have to buy a backplane..I did read there was a provision for 1 optical drive...and the Intel MB you mentioned will support RAID5 for larger multi-track stuff for spewbasde or nuendo...I see no reason why this would not be the ticket, providing S|C gets us a MIDI B source & dest.

sounds freakin sweet to me :wink:
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

I can get by just fine with things the way they are.
Of course I want to see further developments but what I have now is making money and sounds great, so I will make cash as I wait.
Check out this sick ass mini-ITX rig.
I would love to set one of these up just for eye candy.
I could actually play psychedelic videos w/ matching BPM's and control them w/ a Monome.

http://www.karmadigital.com/tt_htpc_hom ... _case.html
Last edited by dawman on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I'd like a TF11 for the house...backup the entire audio & movie collection, stick it in the rack...done....they just look slick as hell...don't they...
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well after translating the manual, I read the section that pertains to the 128MB Sideport options.
I believe we are past the days of onboard graphics using system resources.
That has kept me from building a 1U design for years.
Supermicro had a few w/ onboard graphics but 8MB's is enough to read a screen of text and still showed how it used IPS of 3-5%.
This option according to the manual provides extra 128MB to be used with a card when attached, or just the card, or the 128MB Sideport RAM only.
I think AMD has found a niche other than their server clusters, and cheap alternative to the i7's. Owning ATI has finally paid off as this chip is hailed to be an HTPC and SFF gaming solution combined.
I wanted a laptop but I need to stream audio. Since XITE-1 is already a 1U ATA adding another 1U and dragging around a 2U rack for mobility is finally do-able.
The 1U racks can hold 2 of these, each with their own SSD for the O.S. + Apps., and the external eSATA options in another short ATX 1U case are perfect.

A 2U ATA case can hold 2 x quad streamers, each w/ 8GB's of RAM and 64bit Windows, the eSATA drives, the XITE-1 and the A16U, packing both sides of course.
I think I finally see what I want and can put this together with a single mini-ITX in XP32 using a 3GB PAE Switch.
This is as powerful as one of those MacPro's that goes for 5400 USD. Total cost of building a dual quad 64bit 1U, w/ the 1U eSATA is 2900 USD.
128MB SidePort 1066.jpg
128MB SidePort RAM.jpg
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

a 2U imo makes more sense...there are more video cards that will fit...ie
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... e%209800gt
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yepp, I thought about that too.
The half length low profile cards from ATI like the Fire MV Pro are pretty small too, but I am dead set on a 2U that can do an entire live band, and still be mobile enough for me to tear down and do a few of those 150 buck / 1.5 hr jobs.
I use to do the showroom gig, and play on a house Piano in between and before shows for 3 bills a night, so I am definately into that.
Besides bro I am getting burned out playing w/ bands and everyone else's problems, girlfriends, etc. I use to enjoy the drama actually, but I can play what I like doing solo work.
When you audition you must play the schtick type of stuff, but once you get the gig you do what you want because the people that hired you go home at 5PM and never come back around.... :wink:
I am going 1U w/ a 1U Thermaltake CPU heat sink combo.
I could have done this with a Motif 88 years ago, but the idea of sounding like the guy next and down the street wasn;t very appealing to me.
I will be Vegas's own Tomita and take pride in knowing everyone else is using chick-a-boom drum patterns and other dairy products.
FAT BASTARDS are my weapons...
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

chick-a-boom drum patterns :lol: :lol:

HEY!!! I resemble that.... :lol:
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

No dude, I'm talking about those canned crappy sounding drum kits which number in the dozens, and all of them sound like a cassette tape.
I actually felt bad using VDAT for drum tracks and backing vocals last year, but after hearing so many of these Motif/Cubase set ups it appears the extra steps for superior sounding tracks was wise. I just wish Vegas had more real drummers w/ great kits and chops.
I just finished a gig where the drum kit was shared and the typical laziness and know it all attitudes were displayed, and naturally the drums sound like crap.
The drummer in the opening group was awful and when he did a roll on his Toms it sounded like somebody fell down the steps............. :lol:
Last edited by dawman on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

Sounds exactly like the 6 week gig I had in Atlantic City I told you about....

falling down steps.. :lol: :lol: priceless!

I like the phrase "popcorn machine" myself... :wink:
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

Guys that have to look at their Bass and are frozen onstage are called Huckabees...... :lol: