New xite, how many old dsp ?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

New xite, how many old dsp ?

Post by JoPo »

Hi... I'd like to know how many old dsp there is in the new hardware xite ?

And also will it be possible to connect 2 or 3 old dsp pci board to the new pciexpress board ? Keeping my 3 old creamware board in the same computer than the xcite board ?

Thanxxxx...

JoPo
JoPo

Re: New xite, how many old dsp ?

Post by JoPo »

Whouaow ! Thanx... Let's hope they will do an hardware update for the old customers !
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I would guess that the reason the old boards and Xite cannot be run at the same time is because the S/TDM connection between the cards requires instantaneous transfers you cannot get over PCI. For Xite to hook into the same system would be impossible since it's external and doesn't use the same protocol. You can't use Noah to run Scope devices, either.
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

a transfer of all your plugins should be a good start... :wink:
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Shayne White wrote: You can't use Noah to run Scope devices, either.
Yep, but some of them have been ported to the NOAH. The example is maybe not that obvious as the Scope cards and the NOAH use the same 21065L DSP model. And they just sound as good on both systems.
And the ASB/Klangbox and even the Plugiator/ASX being powered by more recent DSP have been able to achieve the same result after some DSP software rewriting.
The link between different Scope cards is not the PCI bus but the STDM bus (between the DSP within a single board and between the differents boards). The issue would be more to succeed to exchange data between different model of DSP but even this could be done. Technically making scope board able to work together with one Xite-1 unit should be possible as soon as you can conect together 1 STDM connector with 1 XTDM connector. The trick is that the STDM are hidden inside the computer.

Now the real question is: what is the use of making both system working together ?
If you can afford one Xite-1 unit, the extra power offered by old scope boards would not be that significant !!!
Otherwise, if you cannot afford one Xite-1, just keep on stacking these old good board within an "old" PCI host computer ...
The great news would be to have Scope 5 running on both platform with only the DSP power limitation on old systems.

My 2 cents

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Shayne White wrote: You can't use Noah to run Scope devices, either.
Yep, but some of them have been ported to the NOAH. The example is maybe not that obvious as the Scope cards and the NOAH use the same 21065L DSP model. And they just sound as good on both systems.
And the ASB/Klangbox and even the Plugiator/ASX being powered by more recent DSP have been able to achieve the same result after some DSP software rewriting.
The link between different Scope cards is not the PCI bus but the STDM bus (between the DSP within a single board and between the differents boards). The issue would be more to succeed to exchange data between different model of DSP but even this could be done. Technically making scope board able to work together with one Xite-1 unit should be possible as soon as you can conect together 1 STDM connector with 1 XTDM connector. The trick is that the STDM are hidden inside the computer.

Now the real question is: what is the use of making both system working together ?
If you can afford one Xite-1 unit, the extra power offered by old scope boards would not be that significant !!!
Otherwise, if you cannot afford one Xite-1, just keep on stacking these old good board within an "old" PCI host computer ...
The great news would be to have Scope 5 running on both platform with only the DSP power limitation on old systems.

My 2 cents

CheerZ
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

HUROLURA wrote:Now the real question is: what is the use of making both system working together ?
A cartload more I/O's. :P

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Unfortunately, this is all theoretical. I'm beginning to think that the release date for XITE is not When, but If. :cry:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well that would be a drag.
However I have been forced to use my resources more wisely for the last 6 months.
If that's the case, I will be fine.
Solaris in hardware and a 3 x Pro DAW will have to do.
The fact that the new drivers will be 64bit will still propel Soniccore into this century.
Hell for 4 Large I could get a new truck to climb these steep raods in the Winter, and escape to the private slopes.
I have spent so much on gear in the last couple of years I seemed to have forgot how to get my rig to the gig.... :lol:
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

+1 stardust
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

stardust wrote:lets see what is earlier the release or my savings reaching the recommended price ;)
The way the euro & the dollar is trashing sterling recently makes me more likely to buy a big fat zero from Eurozone or 'Merika. Xite price is rocketing daily as sterling disappears into the abyss. Yet again. Image

C'mon, recession, stick it to the dollar and deutschmark. Image

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

nightscope wrote:
stardust wrote:sterling
There's no such thing. People in the UK are paying astronomical taxes & energy fees to facilitate a facet of a facade.
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

"Yep, but some of them have been ported to the NOAH. The example is maybe not that obvious as the Scope cards and the NOAH use the same 21065L DSP model. And they just sound as good on both systems."

To the above:
I own Noah EX, Luna II, Pulsar I and Pulsar II. It is not the DSPs alone that make a hardware unit sound like it does, it is the A/D converters. DSPs process the sound algorithms. To my knowledge the CW cards and NOAH use different converters and should therefore sound slightly distinct from eachother. (I have not made a A/B comparison)

It will be exciting to learn what converter XCITE will be equipped with.

Neb
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I read somewhere from Musikmess 2008 discussions that the Xite-1 should have:
- 12 new DSP for power
- 6 old DSP for compatibility insurance

Now John Bowen told us his SOLARIS has some 21369 on board (6).

I would assume that the new DSP inside the Xite-1 are of the same type (21369).
Benchmark for a 21369 is 12x the power of an "old" 21065L.
From these figures you can just check the DSP power announced:
12 x 12 = 144
+ 6 old type = 150
150 = 10 x Scope Pro Board DSP !!!

That's it !!!

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

While we are looking at figures:

UAD2 quad (4 x 21369) is said to be 10x more powerfull than the old UAD1.

So the UAD1 is supposed to be equivalent to a 5 old DSP scope board, roughly somewhere in between a Pulsar I and a Pulsar II ...

My 2 cents