MY computer upgrade

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shayne White

MY computer upgrade

Post by Shayne White »

Since Jimmy V. is talking about his road to upgrade to a new Xite-ready computer, I may as well talk about mine too. :lol:

I swapped out our PowerMac G5 and replaced it with a brand-new Mac Pro, 3.2GHz Octa-core. :D This baby is FAST!!!! Projects that used to max out the old computer at 11ms latency now run at 1.5ms latency with hardly any CPU utilization. It's almost making me wonder if I need Scope Xite...no no! Of course I need Xite. :P

Unfortunately, I have no audio hardware in this thing because the old computer was using an RME PCI card that's no longer compatible. So there's no connection to my PC DAW with the old Scope, and I have no multichannel audio input. My new A16 Ultra is sitting here doing nothing. :x This SC delay is VERY bad news for me. I'm trying not to imagine that the new timetable is Christmas.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I wish we had some kind of word on when Xite might be available. In the meantime, however, the mini-jack line out of this Mac Pro is very clean, thankfully. :wink:
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
Shroomz~>

Re: MY computer upgrade

Post by Shroomz~> »

I'm just trying to figure out how many Shroomz t-shirts I could sell between now & the XITE-1 release. :lol:

Congrats on the new computer btw Shayne. :wink:
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Shroomz~> wrote:I'm just trying to figure out how many Shroomz t-shirts I could sell between now & the XITE-1 release. :lol:

Congrats on the new computer btw Shayne. :wink:
theres shroomz t shirts? ill buy one as long as its not that crap cafepress.
its the least i can do :D
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Shroomz~> wrote:I'm just trying to figure out how many Shroomz t-shirts I could sell between now & the XITE-1 release. :lol:
where can we order them? ah, yes, heavyweight cotton only, I hate those one-way shirts, too. :wink:
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
borg

Post by borg »

Shroomz~> wrote:Shroomz t-shirts
I'd be happy to finance your Xite this way too. I don't fancy black t-shirts though... :D

I'm gonna wait until Xite is here to make a decision on a new computer. At the moment I'm thinking about a Macbook Pro. As a mac only guy (G3 for scope and PB G4 for sequencing), I'm very curious about the bootcamp thing. There are some things in winland I'd like to give a try...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Spider Solitaire [tm]
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
borg

Post by borg »

stardust wrote:I am really curious what winland could offer to OSX :)
Probably not that much, but in the one year I had a Toshiba laptop (4 years ago), there were some lofi vst plugs I really liked. Tapeworm stuff comes to mind. Glitch (deepblue ???) seems interesting, as probably a lot of other Win-only soundmangling apps. Whenever I see someone use fruityloops, I feel it could be good for some of the music I make (especially the 4/4 techno stuff)...
I use Ableton Live, and Win users have always had better performance. Now, with Mac being Intel it seems to have leveled, but some still report better performance running Live under bootcamp...
Best of both worlds...
I wonder how Scope5 will perform on a Mac. It's ok on OS9, but lacks some features (very minor stuff though).

Why are you being so hard on me? I'm not Huub! :D
andy
borg

Post by borg »

I'm getting very anxious! Not really for Xite itself (Don't get me wrong! I'm really keen to find out the possibilities of the new software and the power of that machine.) but rather what machines it will run on, as in 'top notch performance'.
I really need to get a new machine for the new theatrical season, and my G4 powerbook has served me very well through the last three years, so I'd like to stay with Apple. I really need a faster machine for video editing and ableton Live.
Something tells me Scope for OSX is not quite ready, hence the delay. Just a feeling :D

I wish SC could give us some more info (compatability for one)... They must be testing different setups at the moment, not? If the Xite hardware still needs finetuning, I fear to see the device this year. If it's only the software that needs attention, well, I guess that it will serve us all...
I know, it's not SC's most prefered strategy to lift veils :wink:
andy