Screen Size / Resolution with Xite

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

I am or will be using

single screen 800*600
No votes
single screen 1440*900.
7%
single screen smaller than 19" (less than 1200 width)
4%
single screen 19" (1200 width)
4%
single screen 22" wide (1600 width)
11%
single screen 24" wide (1920 width)
21%
dual screens 2*17" or smaller
No votes
dual screens 2*19"
21%
single, dual or more, bigger than 1920*1200
29%
none of the above
4%

Total votes: 28

spacef

Screen Size / Resolution with Xite

Post by spacef »

This is about screen resolution and screen physical size. They are important to know by developpers.
You can put your current screen size or one that you would like to have sooner or later.
According to previous polls, half users use 1600 w * 1050 height, the other half use 1200 width, and a small percentage use smaller or bigger resolutions.

Most screens nowadays do not seem to offer a native resolution higher than 1200 width except if you go 24"width or on a laptop, or of course usingt expensive screens with multiple resolution.
On the other hand, a 24" width screen full HD and quite high quality can be found for 300 euros or less. 22" wide screens are even cheaper (but go up to 1050 height, and 1600 width commonly).
It's just for you to make developper know what you use/will be using in a few monthes if you want them to consider considering your screen resolution/physical size.

So it looks like if someone buys a screen in the next years, it would probably be a 22", or maybe 24".

So a device max width would be a bit less than 1200 width according to previous polls (up to 1600 pixel width as it seems to be the trend now).

It is also relevant to ask for xite only, as xite allows to load a lot more devices, and so allows to show a lot of them on a single screenset.
Last edited by spacef on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel

Re: Screen Size / Resolution with Xite

Post by Immanuel »

I think it might be worth while to considder, that many 17" laptops run at 1440*900. I could imagine such ones to be frequently paired with Xite.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I added some options.

I have also noticed a trend in laptops with 19"width with a native resolution of 1900*1200 (approx). This is a the vaio and toshiba oximo (or something like that). they are at 1200 euros now, and probably less than 1000 in a few monthes. these are core2duo with lots of ram and 512 mb graphic cards. I wouldn't use my own laptop (17") with xite though, it was already too small for noah (noah was 800*600 format, like most CW devices). (+ my laptop doesn't have pci-e anyway :-)

What i see is that you will not be able to find screens with less than 1200 width in a little while (not at the entry prices at least), you can still get a second hand viewsonic which handles mutltiple resolution as well as it's native resolution, but the price is not in the same league (it was 500€ second hand few monthes ago) whereas newer Full HD screens at 22 or 24 is more in the 200/300 euro league (a bit more, a bit less, depends on the brands, not on the screen quality (as i have tested ilyama and LG, belinea, iolar, samsung etc, the best was one at less than 300 euros and surpasses screens which are much more expensive in terms of color contrast, pitch etc...(the lower price= less included cables , so you could have to add 50 euros for dual dvi cables or hdmi)...
dawman

Post by dawman »

I actually am drawing up plans for next year w/ a 1U PC, 1U eSATA 4 x HDD. 1U A16U, and XITE-1, plus a laptop.

This will enable me to pull double gigs w/ a single controller for rapid deployment. All in a 4U SKB case.

But I do plan on programming the unit at home on a 24" LCD. That's where the larger size comes into play. The current 19" LCD I use on stage is only necessary to view for diagnostic purposes, and to view the mixer while performing.

The sheer power the new DSP chips will have will definately increase the size of our projects, hence the 24" inch.

Nice Poll. Make 'em big Mehdi. :D
spacef

Post by spacef »

sounds good :-)
you trust laptops ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I trust custom laptops designed with heat dissapation in mind, and have external eSATA connections w/ an SSD Flash module for the O.S.

It would be for portable solo gigs. These are fun, and only last for an hour or so. I use to do a few of these everyday years ago on house Pianos and made some serious jack. But I thought I was a high roller and partied most of it away, as I was young and Scope was just a gleam in Holger's eye then.

I am waiting to see the powerful notebook CPU's that Intel releases in the Spring of 2009.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

4096x2160 WIDE :)
spacef

Post by spacef »

stardust wrote:
hifiboom wrote:4096x2160 WIDE :)
:o :D

modular knobs must be roughly 2mm or something....

not on a 108" screen :-D
http://www.pcinpact.com/Affichage-plein ... -38855.htm
dawman

Post by dawman »

Wow...

A live band in 5.1 in front of that project window.....hmmmm.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

I am using a macbook pro 15' ( :o ) (windows XP + Sequoia) buuuuut I use a second big screen that will be perfect for Xite. As soon as you need a second screen (always ..) I thought a 15' was just easier to carry :wink: ... It is true though : a host of plugins are quite big (e.g. : barinworx). Spacef, one question : why don't developpers create 2 sizes for each plugin (I mean the biggest ones) ? That would be a great idea and that's just a matter of GUI....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Bill3107,

I am so glad you are jumpin' in for the big win. :D
Everything I do right now is in preparation for XITE-1. The hardest thing is putting everything I will be using in a project window.

Playing live won't require more than the 19" LCD I am currently using, but programming on a 24" or even a 48" would just increase out addictions even further. The only thing that keeps me excited about playing other peoples music is having the best sounds possible and constanly devising new ways to keep exited. I reckon I got 10 more years w/ this stuff. :wink:
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

Yeah Jimmy.... Believe me or not my addiction to music gear started with scope in 2001... I lov e this system as much as my stratocaster or Seagul guitars ! Xite will emphasise this addiction for sure...

Nevertheless (to stick to the thread :wink: ) I am trying to focus my attention on sound itself rather than screens and images as music must (IMHO) lead to cerebral images rather than real ones. Too much screens does not help me so much. Thus, having 2 screens (one for Sequoia is enough + one for Scope stuff) is perfect to me... I just want to prevent me from being addicted to 24' screens :D . Hard to resist though :o ...

PS : Jimmy.... the D-day is drawing near :wink: I am ready for the delivery !!!! I know you are ready too ...
spacef

Post by spacef »

bill3107 wrote: Spacef, one question : why don't developpers create 2 sizes for each plugin (I mean the biggest ones) ? That would be a great idea and that's just a matter of GUI....
Jo why don't you get a nice 24" LCD Screen, it is just 300 euros and a matter of 60 cm space in your room and a few kilos more in your lugguages. It IS a great idea to me and only a matter of screen :-)
making devices twice: it's not a great idea at all, and the gui is not "just" the gui, it doesn't work like that at all.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

:D ok ok ... It was worth trying .... :wink: I am not in graphics so I have no idea of the time spent on GUI .... Your Fats are small enough for my 15' anyway :lol: ....
Last edited by bill3107 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacef

Post by spacef »

:-) (yes i removed the mercedes example)
ps: the gui is probably what takes the most time in scope. at least for devices with more than a few controls.
Realigning 1500 parameters "for the fun" is not something a normal person wants to do generally :-)

Seagull: I have abandonned all hopes since i tried a 2500€ Taylor...... it was heaven, I should have never done that.... :cry:
xite knight

Post by xite knight »

I prefer large knobs, so I use 1024*768 on 20" monitors. I compensate for this low-res by using 4 of these monitors (2X2 providing a virtual 40" desktop area - 2048*1536)
Cheers
spacef

Post by spacef »

so that's another point for multi-panels devices.....

could you please explain your method of dividing the image for 4 screens ? (i'm not sure 2 dual gfx card can work)
xite knight

Post by xite knight »

sure

I use a Matrox G-200 mms - 4 graphic chips on one card:

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Matrox-Mill ... 0-MMS-Quad
Cheers
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You know, this is a very interesting topic Mehdi. I reckon if you asked 1000 Scope users what their monitor setup was, the most popular would be 2 x 19". But then for XITE maybe you're looking at dealing with users with those bigger screens... I don't know. All I know is that I would be perfectly happy with XITE & whatever plugs run on it displayed on a single 14" laptop monitor. :D
spacef

Post by spacef »

don't worry most of my own devs will remain small for most screens and the subject is mainly relevant to big devices such as mixers and big synths, and also to visual confort.