SCOPE XITE-1: new DSP hardware from Sonic Core!

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Throttler wrote:Do you think they will release smaller X-ite boards ? Like X-ite 1 junior, with smaller dsp power ?
I hope so, and they did not deny the possibility that something like that might come later (from what I've read).
2698 EUR excl. VAT is very cheap for what X-ite 1 offers, but still it's quite an amount of money.
yep, thats true, and also the reason why I did not add myself (yet) to the line of potential early adopters...

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Throttler

Re: SCOPE XITE-1: new DSP hardware from Sonic Core!

Post by Throttler »

sonic core is down! maybe this is it, maybe today is the day!
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Throttler wrote:sonic core is down! maybe this is it, maybe today is the day!
we had something similar last week. false alarm, though.
what might confuse us some more is that thomann obviously delisted xite...
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

kylie wrote:false alarm
Anyway, just been tracking my hardware shipment on UPS from SonicCore. Should be here in a coupla days.

Where there's a will there's a way!!

8)

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

You bought an A16? :)
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Immanuel wrote:You bought an A16? :)
Close!! :D

A Plus I/O card for my SRB. I have a very old ART reverb which I love, so I'll have than in the thick of it again. And a few more options. Even if I pick up an Xite I'll keep this rig. We've been thro too much together.

Xite or a decent resonator. That's the choice. Not easy.

ns
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I really like XITE . Would like to get one soon........
As well, the only thing i really dont like is price 2700 eu (net).
I think they need to get down price or make another mini module (like SSL did with duende/mini duende or TC with powercore and powercore compact) maybe with less dsp or a semplified machine Better if is working just only with vst plugins for my tastes...who knows :)

Anyway the price is really not affordable, hope they will look around making theyself smartest.
Alex K.
-------------------
www.303lovers.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, it is a lot of money, but i think it's still insanely cheap!

the cards are still available....
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

garyb wrote:insanely cheap!
You must be insane!! :)

Or have you just struck oil out in the gulf of the ghetto? Mind you, they'll probably give you a promotional one for free. Alright for some. :cry:

ns

PS UPS have screwed up the plate delivery. INCORRECT ROUTING AT UPS FACILITY / DELIVERY RESCHEDULED. Way to go, guys!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, i have had to pay for everything.

i won't get a free one.

i guess i've just seen what real gear costs and what the XITE replaces, as wee as the price of ProTools HD. sure, it's a lot of money for me, but not for the function and quality.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

garyb wrote:i guess i've just seen what real gear costs and what the XITE replaces, as wee as the price of ProTools HD. sure, it's a lot of money for me, but not for the function and quality.
Well, with a shedload of good preamps and some decent automation there's not much missing so it is very close to all that's required for a decent mid range studio. Apart from the obvious. If I had a queue of clients 24/7 it would be a hugely cost effective solution. I don't, mercifully. Should be interesting to see what variations there may be in the future.

ns
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
dawman

Post by dawman »

DSP applications in hardware or software are just plain addicting.

To me, it's payback on all of the hardware I lost my ass on over the years. I was very lucky with the Oberheims, and TX816. I only need to remember the cost and weight of the CS80, and how it couldn't be repaired...................6800 USD in the '70s was just downright sickening.

XITE-1 is a live warriors dreams come true.

What's really sick is the Bricasti M7 has 6 x Dual Core Analog Devices DSP Chips !!! This ain't no one trick pony. Just the name of the preset from the Spaces algo called Redwood Forest gave me a woody. :roll:

That's gonna cost me 4 Large too !!

Scope4live junior and I are going fishing at the spawning marshes of the German Brown Trout's in 3 weeks...........there's a house full of Bricasti Model 7's in Gardnerville, Nevada six miles away............I am tossing and turning thinking of the beautiful sounds that more DSP chips from Analog Devices is going to bring me.

I am so spoiled by the quality of sound I have from using DSP chips, that the mention of a synth that runs off of CPU cycles makes me cringe.

Think of Multi-Synth, QWave, Solaris, Prowave with 8 voice Poly and all features enabled........I can't help myself.

Check out these tasty parameters and presets...............http://www.bricasti.com/preset_sheet.pdf

Somebody Please Help Me !!!!
rafafredd

Post by rafafredd »

Can´t find a word about it...

Well, with the "old" scope SFP platform, we never got away of the disgusting pci overflow thing, no matter what system you were running. There were always a limit of number of reverbs possibility, etc...

Now, does the XITE use internal memory for the plugins, or will we also reach at some point PCIe overflow? That would be bad news. The most important thing would be to keep ALL the processing inside the thing, I think. Then only digital audio "results" would be exchanged with the system throght PCIe. Off course, the scope 5 system would still need to be on the main memory, but keeping memory for the plugins inside the xite box, would do the trick for NO MORE bus overflows.

Really, I love the old system but I was never totally happy because no PCI system can deal with the kind of things I do. I use it for mixing, and I use it at full potential, with big mixers full of dsp plugins, sometimes I do up to 96 channel summing, with lots of reverbs, compressors, etc... just like an analog studio. And after many many systems, I got to say that PCI overflow ALWAYS find it´s way to strike me in the middle of a big project. Exactly when I need the system to work. It caused me too many problems, really.

Now, if I´m gona pay $4k for the new xite system, I need it to work, with no overflows. I hope that soniccore managed to overcome this issue. Now you say... WOW, PCIe wo´t overflow that easily. I know. But what about three years from now. With much heavier plugins for the new platform??? Will it really NEVER overflow. Well, if soniccore can guaratee it, I´m done. They did the best thing ever. But if they won´t guaratee, really, I´m not very inclined to pay 4k on a buggy system, and I mean it.

And I mean it. If it´s designed to work with PCIe, it should work with all, or at least MOST PCIe systems, and I would not have to set PCI latency and tweak my system for years, and still get errors when I most need it to work, in the middle of PROFESSIONAL work. I hate when it happens. Did you see how the client looks when they see some error on the screen, and the music suddenly stops with a loud pop?

Argh. I really think that for $4k, it should be fixed.

Does anyone have a word about this in the new xite system?
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

It's funny, because it is my impression, that most professionals don't use that many reverbs. Not in outboard and not in plug-ins either. Anyway different people - different tastes. Maybe you choose no to adjust your workflow over accepting limitations and getting the best out of it (which I believe is a lot). In that case - which system can not be overloaded? Any studio can run out of your favourite compressors. Any PC can run out of power. Any Scope set-up can run out of PCI-bandwith. But ok. If it is a problem to you, then that is how it is. Personally for the stuff, I do, I don't have those issues. But I do things on a smaller scale than you. So that is apples and oranges.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

rafafredd wrote:Will it really NEVER overflow.
Dunno, no-one's seen hide nor hair of one.

Bus Protocol Peak Bandwidth (MB/s)
PCI-33 / 32-bit 133
PCI-66 / 32-bit 266
PCI-66 / 64-bit 533
AGP 8X 2100
PCI Express (x1) 500
PCI Express (x2) 1000
PCI Express (x4) 2000
PCI Express (x8) 4000
PCI Express (x16) 8000
IDE (ATA100) 100
IDE (ATA133) 133
SATA 150
Gigabit Ethernet 125
IEEE-1394B [FireWire S400] 50
IEEE-1394B [FireWire S800] 100
USB 2.0 60

Firewire :P

ns
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Now over 13 months since initial announcement......

Perhaps this isn't too bad?

I would be worried if it was over 18 months though.

Personally, I won't get Xite - can't afford it - but the wait for Scope 5 and Vista drivers has been bloody ridiculous IMHO
garyb

Post by garyb »

you get BOTH at the same time, as they're related. v5 needs to be able to support BOTH cards and XITE.

actually, if you new what was going on with v5, a COMPLETE rewrite as i understand it(though it looks and acts much the same as always), you'd know that the timetable is quite normal for a crew of this size when they work their asses off.
winger

Post by winger »

Ralf,

Do you know when we will be able to get 5.0 upgrade? How about info on what's new in 5.0?

Mark.
mark winger