SCOPE XITE-1: new DSP hardware from Sonic Core!

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

be happy or shut up ! :D :D
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

pollux

Post by pollux »

With an XITE-1 there are enough DSPs to run Dynatubes MB for all of them :lol:
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

OK, all this seems really XITE-ing. :D

... well someone had to do it !!! :P :lol: :)

CHEERZ
decimator

Post by decimator »

I'am among many ones hoping that SC will offer affordable variations and even PCI -E cards in order to drain the market dry ...
XITE-1 will sell but it's the worst case scenario IMHO in revenues for SC, whereas downsized options with possibilities to choose soft bundles instead of proposing everything : " the largest size will fit all "

Starting from an entry level card with 4 chips ( close power to 3 Scope Pro ! ) in a 800 euros pricetag range , choose either synths / mixer bundles / FX bundle BUT provided with a choosable item from each categories, imagine you choose the FX bundle but you would like to hear what Pro-Tone and some lower model mixer give in sonic qualities.

Sorry for the quite grim comparision : drug dealers sell their product at a low price to teens so that they can be hooked then pay the full price later, effective ...

Concerning the ins-outs, I don't know technically how much and what you can " whip in / out " but I would go for a multiple whip port solution like 4, a whip sells below 20 euros, basic offered of course then 3 other ports for different whip combination of ins and outs thus a lot of ins/outs that will most cover *your * specific needs ... think " that bundle whip " that plugs of course to that whip port.

There's so much you can feed in / out and process out of a Scope environment it would be *terrible* to offer just " some connections ", maybe think of a range of connecting large boxes with lots of ins / outs connected to the XITE if the multi whip solution is not possible.
Last edited by decimator on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
winger

Post by winger »

I am using 2, puslar cards with 4 dsps each. I am using the 24/48 mixer in a live setup. With 8 dsps I am right at the edge of not enough. A sope home would be enough more for me. So going from 8, to and equivenent 140 dsp isn't that big of a deal (Of course I would have logs of room for more effects)

But the ability to use a laptop instead of a tower is very desirable to me.

A lower powered, lower cost xite would be perfect for me if it you can expand i/o without too much additional cost.
mark winger
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

HUROLURA wrote:OK, all this seems really XITE-ing. :D

CHEERZ
well you are way to late

hifiboom wrote:this is XITEING!

This will be simply the BEST audioplatform available on the market.

superior in quality and sheer power!
thats like 140dsps, am I wrong?
mr. prawn

Post by mr. prawn »

this is great news & nice to see SC progressing - i wish them luck at musikmesse.
obviously this is aimed at professional studios & perhaps some rich hobbyists, but im sure SC will produce a lower-cost version for the rest of us. im quite happy with my setup at the moment though i would love to be able to use scope on a laptop...
hubird

Re: New Sonic Core device

Post by hubird »

musurgio wrote:This device has only 16 adat channels which are NOT enouph for a serious production where external devices ,, converters are to be used along...
So I would prefer a 3 set of adat ports and the equivalent of three Pro cards regarding dsp power.which is way enouph for any serious production!!!
That would lower the cost.
I would not pay more that 1300-1500 E for a device like this and at that price there would be many buyers to support it .
I hope that I am wrong but I am not seeing many buying this product.
My 2 cents.
Regards,
Dimitrios
I think Musurgio has right, and I also think this is the only serious weak point of the Xite-1, together with the missing Z-Link.
It's just not in line with the potential of the whole thing, which is immense (studio, instruments, effects and In/Outs).
Say I had the mony, I would seriously ask myself can I do my normal thing with 8 stereo channels.
The answer is no, I'd have to make boring submixes by grouping channels and record them.
Who wants that?
It's a showstopper actually, given the price :cry:
I think the number of ADAT channels should be SC's first concern, there should be at least 32 ADAT channels.
And nr. two: 2 times Z-link should also be there, why do I have to give up my Luna boxes?
I need them.
In fact, I don't wanne miss any of my ins and outs which I have now.
I prefer to pay more if I know I get the same options as I have now.
There could be a 1U and a 2U model, a 'labtop'/life model and a 'studio' model with all connections.

Yet my congrats to SC, Xite-1 says you're there :-)
maky325

Post by maky325 »

decimator wrote:I'am among many ones hoping that SC will offer affordable variations and even PCI -E cards in order to drain the market dry ...
XITE-1 will sell but it's the worst case scenario IMHO in revenues for SC, whereas downsized options with possibilities to choose soft bundles instead of proposing everything : " the largest size will fit all "

Starting from an entry level card with 4 chips ( close power to 3 Scope Pro ! ) in a 800 euros pricetag range , choose either synths / mixer bundles / FX bundle BUT provided with a choosable item from each categories, imagine you choose the FX bundle but you would like to hear what Pro-Tone and some lower model mixer give in sonic qualities.

Sorry for the quite grim comparision : drug dealers sell their product at a low price to teens so that they can be hooked then pay the full price later, effective ...
Sure thing. But think about old stock :)
They must sell old cards(as drug dealers must sell old stock). When they do then you can expect these so called "low" power XITE-s . Till then i will play with one "big" xite :P
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

hifiboom wrote:
HUROLURA wrote:OK, all this seems really XITE-ing. :D

CHEERZ
well you are way to late

hifiboom wrote:this is XITEING!

This will be simply the BEST audioplatform available on the market.

superior in quality and sheer power!
thats like 140dsps, am I wrong?
Too many reply in this post... did not notice it. So I was the 2nd (3rd,... 3200th) :D .
Sorry it was the XITE - ment !!!

CheerZ
bosone

Post by bosone »

if sonic core is listeining, and if they plan new vesion of the amazing new board, i'd suggesting making a version with limited DSP power but with a rack full of analog inputs (with phantom) and outputs, maybe 8 or 12 in/out .
in this way, you can use that wingle board to record an entire drumset or an entire band without having to buy ohter hardware.
the target should be low-mid budget (i'd say 500-800 €) , since this kind of application is more and more common nowadays between hobbyst
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

maybe A16 is there for this job.
i wish soniccore don't compromise with quality. there are lot of low tech gear is in the market.

overall xite it is better than protools hd :)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

hubird, my point was there is such negativity about this product and yet
a) we don't know the final spec
b) the final spec may not even be decided when it appears at Messe, many products change after people have made comments at these events.

Can we please be negative after we know the full possibilities and limits of this machine?
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

Tom will be there at Frankfurt. hope he can give us updates on 12th.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Just think there is still room for the all range from Scope Home to Socpe Pro.
XITE-1 just (!) had one more future-proof and more mobile solution to the range.
Anyway, as the DSP chip used on the Scope board is not recommanded for new design by analog devices, they would have some problem to produce many more Scope Board. You should then expect the XITE-1 to be the first element of a whole product familly.
I do not mean the Scope board are obsolete now, as they could still be used on "old" PC/Mac Machine providing PCI ports and should be enough for many users.

One point though is to put the stress on the DSP chip: you should not see it as an PC industry component but as an embbedded audio electronic component: lifetime for such a chip is much longer than PC processor or graphic processor. So the XITE-1 could probably be produced for the next 10 years.

The price of the XITE-1 has also to be compared to introductory price of:

- NOAH EX in 2003 (1/15th of the XITE-1 DSP power dedicated to 4-parts multi synth with some limitation) was introduced at 2 225 € / 2 225$

- The first Scope boards in 1998/1999 was:
=> Scope (i.e. the 15-DPS Scope Pro v1): 15 000 DM (round 7 500 € / 6 500 $ at that time), though I think the scope DP tool was included
=> Pulsar (i.e. 4-DSP with I/O) was introduced at 2400 DM (round 1 250 € / 1 000 $)
=> Pulsar SRB (i.e. 4-DSP without I/O and plug-in) was sold 1700 DM (round 900 € / 800 $)

Did not find the last range of Scope board intro pricing so far but should be quite similar...

Just to put things in perspective ...

CheerZ
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

Lets face it: THIS IS SIC!

Could be their new slogan
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

holay smoke that is a badly alligned photoshop mock-up :D
hubird