minimax OS update.

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

synthman

minimax OS update.

Post by synthman »

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I'm thinking of getting a minimax ASB. Hopefully with version 2.0 OS already installed, but in case I can't, is it worth getting an early OS and upgrading myself. Can I still get the update OS from Sonic core? And the remote program, just incase i don't get it with the synth.

Thank you
garyb

Re: minimax OS update.

Post by garyb »

the firmware and remote software are available from the download page of the support section of the Sonic|Core website.
don't upgrade the firmware without requesting the ASB's firmware key. Sonic|Core will provide this if you send a short email to support requesting it. you must provide the unit's serial number.

Sonic|Core is not Creamware, so the firm and software and keyfiles are only provided as goodwill services, their use is at your own risk, although the risk is very low.

also, the remote software will only work fully and properly in XP or OSX no later than 10.2.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Hey thanks. So is it worth me getting a version 1 OS minimax and update it? Are S|C quick in sending the key?.There is one for sale on ebay but the the starting price is £500!!!! But I'm not sure.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, but for that price, you could have a Scope card(where the technology and the Minimax itself comes from) and then have quite a bit more than just the Minimax...you wouldn't get knobs, but if your midi controller has knobs you can use those to put you hands on the controls..

otherwise, there's no problem with getting the key. when the os is upgraded, it often doesn't show properly, even though it IS updated. i would be surprised if there were many un-updated Minis around. the way to tell if it's been updated is that the filter and tune controls won't be "steppy".
synthman

Post by synthman »

Ok thanks. I'm sure you can also tell if its OS has been updated because the over drive light only works with the updated OS.
synthman

Post by synthman »

I'm thinking of making the guy an offer for he's (version 1 os) minimax as I'm not sure if its worth me waiting for a version 2 version to come on the market, that could take forever. What would be a reasonable offer in you opinion?
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well the completed listings I see are £373 and £445, and a Best Offer bid that was a Buy It Now of £450 (so obviously went a bit lower), so I think £500 is a bit much. If it's the one I see on ebay, I see that no-one has snapped it up at that price, so he may very well come own on it.

Maybe try £450 - that seems to be the top price at the moment.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Well the completed listings I see are £373 and £445, and a Best Offer bid that was a Buy It Now of £450 (so obviously went a bit lower), so I think £500 is a bit much. If it's the one I see on ebay, I see that no-one has snapped it up at that price, so he may very well come own on it.

Maybe try £450 - that seems to be the top price at the moment.
Yeah that's the one. I was thinking about offering that sort of money. I must admit, I'm a bit dubious about buying a synth that needs upgrading as I bricked a supernover that i tred to update, the seller informed me the update was easy, yeah right, I had to sent it of to be fixed, that proved to be a right pain. The seller of the minimax has told me that he is not to tech minded and has had it for 5 years and has never upgraded it!