Please vote on these new ASBs!

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chisel

Re: Please vote on these new ASBs!

Post by Chisel »

I'd like to see Sonic Core gut the ASBs and sell them as MIDI controllers to use with the PC versions. I can't justify buying the ASBs of MiniMax, Pro12, and B2003 because I already own the PC versions and I only do studio work, but I'm drooling over having dedicated controllers rather than using a universal controller or the keyboard/mouse.

Peace \/
chisel316
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

And just the opposite of me..... I use hardware live and therefore having onboard sounds as all synthesisers did prior to emulation , is the way to go for me......into the lands whe computers dare not go....
Chisel wrote:I'd like to see Sonic Core gut the ASBs and sell them as MIDI controllers to use with the PC versions. I can't justify buying the ASBs of MiniMax, Pro12, and B2003 because I already own the PC versions and I only do studio work, but I'm drooling over having dedicated controllers rather than using a universal controller or the keyboard/mouse.

Peace \/
chisel316
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
paulshillito

Post by paulshillito »

A CS80 and or JP8 with a full replica of the front panel, both of these fetch a small fortune on ebay especially the CS80 , last two i saw fetched $12K+ and $14k+.
But this maybe this is just a pipe dream now as it looks like Sonic are not interested in pursuing the ASB product line, probably thinking that most people want another do-it-all software/hardware system, well I for one certainly do not, if god had meant us to interface to a synth via a computer only he would have given us a neural-to-PC connector, but instead we had hands and that means real knobs and switches to me even if it costs 2,3,or 5 times the price of mouse ware.

Paul
dante

Post by dante »

paulshillito wrote:now as it looks like Sonic are not interested in pursuing the ASB product line, probably thinking that most people want another do-it-all software/hardware system
...or a Solaris... 8)
paulshillito

Post by paulshillito »

Yes, very true, the Solaris does seem to be the successor to the ASB's though it's not an emulation of one board but the components of many, in a very similar way to the Arturia Origin which I do have and I must admit that I do like the look of the Solaris and what it can do but what I like about the ASB's is the directness of the controls, just as it was with the originals with little or no menu diving required. This is probably the biggest put off for me of the Solaris, for all the LCD's and controls there is still seems a lot of faffing a round selecting menus for this and options for that, I know thats what gives it its flexability but it also detaches you from the sound tweaking process a little, the reason I dumped VST's for hardware both analogue and digital.

More switches and knobs and less menus.
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah, but you won't really know the control vs synthesis tradeoffs of a Solaris till u try it. By all accounts the number and type of 'synth engines' that can be loaded into it will increase with time, as John Bowen codes em.

For mine, I'd just use a Phatboy or BCR2000 with a Solaris than spend the sAme or more cash just to get original control surfAces. You're really just talkim the familiarity with knob positions at the end of that day....and isnt that what this 'dedicated' vs 'universal' contoller debate boils down to ?
rockdoctor1

Post by rockdoctor1 »

I'd like to see the Yamaha CS80 and Oberheim OB-8
dante

Post by dante »

JP8 is the father and mother of them all IMHO
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

+1 for JP or some Alpha Juno
stairre

Post by stairre »

Jupiter 8 For sure. OB8 would be sweet too! Maybe something from Korg like an MS20 ASB or a Poly Six ASB...
But I think the coolest would be a TR-808 or TR-909 ASB maybe a LinnDrum. Sure would be cool to get a vintage drum machine ASB. Just throwing it out there!
cram1960

Post by cram1960 »

ASB is dead.

Continued fantasizing is harmless and pointless.

ASB is dead.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

iSiStOy wrote:+1 for JP or some Alpha Juno
Maybe my MKS50 rack for sale here :D :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :MESELX:IT

and one of these control surface :

http://www.kiwitechnics.com/
Patch editor MIDI control surface or MKS50 ... 295 €
Patch editor MIDI control surface or MKS50 ... 295 €
PE1024.jpg (529.2 KiB) Viewed 13533 times
Could do the job for you ...
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Rahhhahaa... Object sold already.
Thanks anyway
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Yes, too bad.

But you could also pay attention to this patch editor device as it would provide you a kind of ASB Juno ...

By the way speculating is still interesting and fun as it could give ideas to SC or UA people.

Some talk about a Downsized Xite-1 and now here it is !!!

But to be honest, the discussion about CS80, Juno-1, OB-8 would be a bit difficult as the plug-in version are not (yet) available ... The way from the Minimax/Pro12/Prodyssey/B4000 plug-in to the ASB was easier as the Scope plug-in version was already available and had already been implement once in the NOAH (maybe with the exception of the Pro12 as all versions came in the same years).

I already had some thought about a DIY way to recycle our old PCI Scope board by embedding them together with the a low-cost PC board in a DIY Midi controller box or keyboard.

As already mentionned in Neutron's Xite_0_03 thread, I get to the point I had the fanless silent PC rack version up and running but didn't get further yet as I couldn't make up my mind which synth plug-in to implement ...

Maybe once the Xite-1 and Solaris would be in full production we could see something else arise but I suspect it wouldn't be soon...
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

paulshillito wrote:Yes, very true, the Solaris does seem to be the successor to the ASB's though it's not an emulation of one board but the components of many, in a very similar way to the Arturia Origin which I do have and I must admit that I do like the look of the Solaris and what it can do but what I like about the ASB's is the directness of the controls, just as it was with the originals with little or no menu diving required. This is probably the biggest put off for me of the Solaris, for all the LCD's and controls there is still seems a lot of faffing a round selecting menus for this and options for that, I know that's what gives it its flexability but it also detaches you from the sound tweaking process a little, the reason I dumped VST's for hardware both analogue and digital.

More switches and knobs and less menus.
Actually, Paul, I would agree with you. Here's an example of the problems I had - When I created the Solaris, it was a software plug-in that featured 8 knobs across with fairly direct access for the oscilllator section. When we got to translating that to hardware, well...the limiting factor was the width of the display, and we got the longest text displays that we could at the time - and it turned out that only 5 knobs fit comfortably underneath these displays, so I had to move the extra 3 parameters to another page, and paging was unavoidable. Still, I would prefer a direct one-on-one control, as you have stated, and the Schmidt 8 voice analog synth that was at Messe does, in fact, have this feature. 157 knobs, with lots of switches for many of the inputs...very nice!

I'd very much like to have more direct control - maybe on a future product?
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Chisel wrote:I'd like to see Sonic Core gut the ASBs and sell them as MIDI controllers to use with the PC versions. I can't justify buying the ASBs of MiniMax, Pro12, and B2003 because I already own the PC versions and I only do studio work, but I'm drooling over having dedicated controllers rather than using a universal controller or the keyboard/mouse.

Peace \/
chisel316
The guy who really took this direction to an extreme is M.Jurisch of Synth-Project:
http://www.synth-project.de/Miscellaneous.html
http://www.synth-project.de/Gallery/Gallery.html

Note that these are all one-offs that he made for himself, though he does state that he has sometimes ended up selling one of his creations. You can guess that these are also, "not cheap"!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Maybe a single product: Something like the Solaris interface, that auto-maps to any SCOPE device. Also maybe something to mimic the SCOPE Live Bar for navigation between devices.

Could be coupled through a computer (USB), and that way it sells to a larger audience than just SCOPE users, introducing other people to S|C products. It'd be nice to have some MIDI expansion on it (for those of us XITE users).

win-win-win.

Since the SDK isn't available for XITE yet, I can't work in the SDK world. But if anybody else knows if this type of information is accessible from SCOPE, then I can develop hardware for it, eagerly.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

A kind of S-C dedicated Kore Hardware or Maschine Hardware providing control elements, display(s) and a remote Live Bar.

USB is the most obvious link...
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

HUROLURA wrote:A kind of S-C dedicated Kore Hardware or Maschine Hardware providing control elements, display(s) and a remote Live Bar.

USB is the most obvious link...
Exactly!