Considering buying a MiniMax ASB: Sound, bugs, stability?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

music251

Considering buying a MiniMax ASB: Sound, bugs, stability?

Post by music251 »

Hi!

I'm currently looking into buying a MiniMax ASB.

I actually used to own a Minimoog Voyager a few years ago, but ended up selling it. Now, after taking a few years break from playing and composing, I'm looking into a buying a "moog" again. (duh!) I can't stand most VAs as they IMO lack enough musicality for expressive jazz/prog/fusion playing.
I use to have Creamware cards, and was very impressed by the sound of the MiniMax. It's been 6-7 years since I sold the cards, but has the static attack-sound of the MiniMax been improved since then? That was something I noticed back then anyway, if memory serves me right. :) I also remember a certain digital "sheen" and brightness to the sound, not present in the real thing. For me a tube preamp is an intergral part of the minimoog sound, so I assume that tubes will take care of the latter issue.

Will the Minimax ASB work well for live use? I will use it with a Roland RD-700GX keyboard. I need something that is stable. Is also the cutoff, res and filter knobs response good enough for live tweaking (while playing).

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading! :)
dawman

Re: Considering buying a MiniMax ASB: Sound, bugs, stability?

Post by dawman »

I am a Creamware/SC finatic but because the style you mentioned are right up my alley.
Obviously you know a good sounding Piano too, so to stroke you and say the MiniMax is a great monophonic synth would be a lie.
If you had to have it for Polyphonic reasons I would say yes.
But for the same price or less you could have an SE-1 used from ebay for monophonic sound that sounds more analog than the Voyager, P08 and all of the " new " Analogs IMHO.
I am addicted to the big electric voice card 3 Oscillator sound, and there's just no way a VA can do this, even if they add more fake Sub Oscillators like the Mopho uses.
The Filter sound you get from a real Voice card / Modular module cannot be reproduced except in the mid range of a well designed VA or " new " Analog.
Since you like fusion I happen to have the first recording I ever did w/ the SE-1.
This is all sent to the Scope cards and shot back out to a pair of Barbetta's live.
You can hear the SE-1 cutting through with all freq's right up front.

http://forums.planetz.com/download/file.php?id=4279

Ooops.....the synth bass is obciously a VA but a good sounding one. SE-1 is the lead synth at the outtake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Studio-Electronics- ... 7C294%3A50
music251

Post by music251 »

Thanks for your reply, sounds like we're on the same page. I'm digging your mp3, nice music! The synthbass definately has that digital quality, but when the lead sound started...oh yeah. :)

I've always been a bit sceptical towards the SE-1. In the recordings I've heard it used, it just kinda left me cold, dunno why. Aren't the envelopes in software, lacking the punchy moog-attack? It does sound very nice here!
Interestingly enough, I was actually underwhelmed by the Voyager too. I ended up always playing it through a tube preamp, to get rid of its slightly "pinched" and glossy sound. With a decent tube preamp it sounded absolutely beautiful though.

Right now I'm looking at the MacBeth X-factor, which finally seems to be nearing production. I'm gonna keep a close attention to this one the coming year. It will be produced with "vintage" parts, and probably sound more like a 70s analog than the Voyager.
Last edited by music251 on Wed May 27, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Actually you can contact the boys at Studio Electronics for modded envelopes, with an option switch, etc.
Just give 'em a call.
I have had the mighty beasts from the '70's and '80's and love the voice card sound.
No matter what new designs come out, if it doesn't have that electical buzz/drip and precise analog Filter sound I grew up with, I will keep the SE-1's.
That was the first time I ever used Cubase and played live unquantized ( obviously ) parts over the top in VDAT. I get a much better sound these days.
But even the lame mp3 quality can't hold back the SE-1's beastly lead and bass sounds.
MacBeth looks awesome. I would love to see that in a 5U MOTM style rack.
I have a Solaris on order for this summer, so I will have my synth needs covered.
But going with voice cards or MacBeth is the way to get the sounds we like, after years of VA's attemping Analog emulations Solaris has been the best yet. JBowen has every aspect perfectly recreated except for the super precise low end filter sound ala TomSawyer, Straubs, etc.
His synths all incorporate the seperate Glide amounts for each Oscillator which makes me dance with joy. Knowing him, he will eventually nail the super low filter thingy I mentioned too. He never sleeps, just builds.
Glad to see a fellow progressive/fusion lover. I rarely get to play that live except for a couple sit ins here and there, but this year there's a fusion club owned by a retired FOH guy here in Vegas that will be bringing in touring acts. I hope they need local groups on the off nights as I could care less about the pay.

Good Luck Brotha' & Thanks 4 The MacBeth X tip.
music251

Post by music251 »

The Solaris.. oh man.. That's gonna be an awesome synth.
If I could afford one too, I would get a Solaris in a heartbeat. The specs on that synth are just way off the charts.. :)

Many thanks for your input. I will look more closely at the SE-1!