What scope based expander device do you have ?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Do you own one or several of these units ? :

- NOAH or NOAH Ex
9%
- Minimax ASB
9%
- Pro12 ASB
8%
- B4000 ASB
5%
- Prodyssey ASB
8%
- any Klangbox
8%
- Plugiator
8%
- Xite-1
24%
- None of the above ... to stardust request :)
23%

Total votes: 66

HUROLURA

What scope based expander device do you have ?

Post by HUROLURA »

Just to know what is widely broaden in our community ...
Last edited by HUROLURA on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erminardi

Re: What scope based expander device do you have ?

Post by erminardi »

I wish a Prodyssey... when it comes secondhand for less than 450 euros :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

stardust wrote:The none (yet ) option is missing ;)
Done ...
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I once started up a NOAH user list on this forum...
... did all of them sold their NOAH to spare for an XITE-1 ? :D
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

erminardi wrote:I wish a Prodyssey... when it comes secondhand for less than 450 euros :D
Maybe you can get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=003
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey what about Solaris hardware synth? It is definately an expansion IMHO. For guys who have to conserve DSP across 3 boards in a project just to get 8 voices, it seems like an XPander to me.

Cool Poll Hurolura.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

righty ho, who are the two bar stewards that already have an XITE-1??? :D :cool:
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Wishful thinking on my part :lol: (set back to None but am looking at Klangboxen)
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

+1 plugiator here :D

Finally, now my NOAH Ex has a little brother !!!

First impression (just plugged a midi keyboard in and play with the presets so far), no extra plug bundle (so far):
- sounds good (as expected)
- sort of Klangbox v2 with most of the wishes some of us made here (preset number display, all the ASB plug in one box with some extra ...)
- not as sexy as a true ASB, and as for the NOAH, you shouldn't make you an idea of how it sounds from how it looks !!!

Happy to see it here !!!

Most important update wish: find a way to make it 4-part multitimbral ...

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Nobody else ?

Now I understand why CreamWare crashes ... :D

CheerZ
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

HUROLURA wrote:
erminardi wrote:I wish a Prodyssey... when it comes secondhand for less than 450 euros :D
Maybe you can get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=003
Damn, not mine! :x
Now I've the Plugiator, howewer if I find it I will buy a Prody ASB :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The only advantage of an ASB towards its Scope plug-in equivalent is the hardware user friendly interface and the mobility.
Then you loose Scope flexibility (polyphony adjustment, multiple instances...)

I just feel both "hardware" (Noah, ASB, Klangbox, Plugiator) and "software" (Scope PCI cards) solutions can be part of a whole system... that's why have both solutions in my setup. :D

Then Xite-1 will combine scope flexibility while allowing mobility (It will just miss a standalone mode but maybe a userfriendly "hardware" interface can be released afterward.

CheerZ
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

After Xite S|C can give to his customers some "silent" midi controllers like Prodyssey, Minimax, B4000, Pro12, ProTone... just the pots and the case ;)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Or imagine a common controller for all the vintage emulation from the scope collection (Pro-One, Prodyssey, Pro12, Minimax) as they have some obvious common part (osc coarse/fine, filter cutoff/reso/env, ADSR enveloppes ...)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Yikes, you two guys must want SONIC CORE to go belly up or something. A generic midi controller or set of midi controllers that are tied specifically to Scope synths? :eek:
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I have severall different ideas in mind:
- A new "ASB" device powered by an Xite-based board with mutlipart capability and an hardware control surface which allows the control of different scope based plug: something in between the Use Audio plugiator and the Arturia Origin. A kind of even more userfriendly NOAH. Just thinking a sec about it, I noticed I kind of described the John Bowen SOLARIS which will additionnaly provide some John Bowen special features !!!
- A control only MIDI remote controller dedicated to scope synth control (a kind of NI Kore 2/Hartmann Nuke) and one dedicated to mix control (inspired by the Liquid Mix surface for example). There was once a Scope MINIMAX dedicated MIDI controller called MIDIMAX in the pre-ASB era. I must admit the range of generic MIDI controller offered in the past 10 years grows up quite fast.
- Maybe what we need is just a way to enhance this type of controller with the Scope system (a flexible project preset for MIDI controller assignment could be the right and least expensive solution). For example one solution could be based on the Modular MRC. Imagine a scalable MRC providing different controller layout (the basic 4x4 pot matrix of the Modular III up to something with 4x16 pot + extra switches) and available for all the scope devices. This would provide users a way to reskin the control surface layout to their midi controller.

I do not want SonicCore to spend time on too different topic without achieving one. I would be happy now when they achieve the Xite and Solaris (already a lot of work on that 2 topics). Maybe over companies can manage such things together with SonicCore. But I let them focus on their work on Xite and Solaris for now.
Last edited by HUROLURA on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

Still wishfull thinking...

Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Hey what about Solaris hardware synth? It is definitely an expansion IMHO. For guys who have to conserve DSP across 3 boards in a project just to get 8 voices, it seems like an XPander to me.
Jimmy, I don't think I would include the hardware Solaris in this group, because it is not sold by Sonic Core. Not only that, the algorithms for all of the oscs and filters, etc., have been re-written and updated from what we have in the Scope library of modules, so it's not really going to sound the same as the plug-in.
john b.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I do agree with you John.

I do not feel the SOLARIS as a scope based expander: all the others (NOAH, ASB, Plugiator, ...) are "just" repackaged CW technology (though some of the best from the Scope galaxy).

The Solaris does not come from CW but from John Bowen Synth Design. The DSP power is half the power available in an Xite-1 (more than any scope system except the Xite-1). The control surface and keyboard is something unknown in the Scope range of product. The ASB had pushed the system forward by offering real hardware control but the control surface offered by the SOLARIS looks far more flexible.
I would assume the SOLARIS is a kind of [Modular v3 + RD modules + ...] Hardware with a smart user interface.

Having some of the following, I can tell you my personnal feeling:
- The Noah Ex is (was) the most flexible of all these units (up 4 parts, multiple plug-ins) though not the most user friendly.
- The ASB are much more easy to use but lack flexibility by being single plug-in / single part (a multimode upgrade would be welcome). Programming patch with them is a real delight. Keeping 95% of the CC mapping common with the NOAH is good to me as it allows me to remote control the Minimax/Pro12/B3000 plug-in of the Noah from the ASB control elements (still have to buy me one Prodyssey ...). The same would obviously be possible to remote control a klangbox from an ASB.
- The Plugiator is more flexible but doesn't reach the level of the NOAH being multiple plug-in / single part (a multimode upgrade would also be welcome). The user interface is not the one of the ASB but slightly better than what the Klangboxes offered (nothing). Also the change of the CC mapping is an annoyance to me. A CW native mode would also be welcome.

Meanwhile, I am also working on modifying the Scope based Minimax/Pro12/B2003 to add them the right CC mapping for also remote controlling them from the ASB modules.

CheerZ
pollux

Post by pollux »

HUROLURA wrote:Or imagine a common controller for all the vintage emulation from the scope collection (Pro-One, Prodyssey, Pro12, Minimax) as they have some obvious common part (osc coarse/fine, filter cutoff/reso/env, ADSR enveloppes ...)
you can easily set up a Mackie C4 for that :)