My first thoughts about my MINIMAX

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

skylab001

My first thoughts about my MINIMAX

Post by skylab001 »

I got my Minimax last week, I will admit that it sounds really good, but I've found a couple of bugs to be really annoying. First of all my brand new Minimax is loaded with Firmware version 1.02, not 2.0--- I downloaded the latest version 2.0 from the Sonic Core website but I need the activation code.(what this is hardware???) I tried email Ralf as it says to do, but my emails keep getting returned undeliverable, does anybody have Ralf's current email address, I'm hoping to get this sorted out soon. I can't believe that they shipped this with an old firmware.

I'm also having problems with stuck notes that some people have mentioned. When I play from my controller directly into the midi in of the minimax it is fine, but when I play via Logic or with my P3 sequencer, notes start sticking and it turns into a big mess, the only way to silence the notes is to change the patch. This really blows if you were in the middle of knob tweaking because you lose everything.

I also have noticed I only get about 7-10 notes of polyphony max and it is really random. I had high hopes for this and that these bugs might not be a problem.....but they are, at this point I can't trust it live, even though I love the interface.

I also was a little disappointed when I noticed all sonic core had done was stick REALLY, REALLY cheap "sonic-core" stickers where the Creamware badging had been.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Ralf's email is:

rb(at)soniccore.com - replace for an @ symbol (done to stop spam in case you're wondering).
Septic

Post by Septic »

Yeah, that is not a good welcome for a new customer..

It is kinda cheapass to just put a sticker on the creamware logo and just sell the 1.04 old units without even updating the firmware???????

Especially when the bugs are worse at 1.04, I canot understand why SonicCore would do this. This only tells me that they dont take the customer serious, and just want your money, quick and easy....

That doesn't promise any good for the future products of SonicCore with this way of acting.

Why dont the fekkers just put the Serial for the SOftware and Hardware in the box when you buy em??????????? I never understanded this akward way of updating this boxes.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Septic wrote:Yeah, that is not a good welcome for a new customer..

That doesn't promise any good for the future products of SonicCore with this way of acting.
skylab001 welcome to the wonderful world of "NO SUPPORT SONICCORE".

You will be lucky if you get a response from Sonicore as they have not responded to my last 7 emails.

Altogether now:

Thankyou, "No Support SonicCore",
They take your money which they adore,
When you find their products stink,
They flush you away down the sink.

They've got your money and you've got their bugs,
Discarded emails shoved under the rug,
And then they wonder why the're broke,
cause, all their customers they have choked,

Ignore me , ignore me all you can,
I used to be your No 1 fan,
But now your just a waste of time,
You deserve to go down, down down. (again!!)
Last edited by Le Bone on Tue May 13, 2008 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Le Bone wrote:Altogether now:
sung to which tune? :D
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
pricklyrobot

Re: My first thoughts about my MINIMAX

Post by pricklyrobot »

skylab001 wrote:I'm also having problems with stuck notes that some people have mentioned. When I play from my controller directly into the midi in of the minimax it is fine, but when I play via Logic or with my P3 sequencer, notes start sticking and it turns into a big mess, the only way to silence the notes is to change the patch. This really blows if you were in the middle of knob tweaking because you lose everything.

I also have noticed I only get about 7-10 notes of polyphony max and it is really random. I had high hopes for this and that these bugs might not be a problem.....but they are, at this point I can't trust it live, even though I love the interface.
It's less disappointing if you start thinking of the Minimax mainly as a monosynth, with very limited, quirky polyphony thrown in as a bonus.

I would get the stuck notes most frequently when sending it a sequence and trying to play live over top of that (and we're talking a super-simple no-overlapping-gate-times sequence from my An1X's onboard step sequencer, with a little 3 or 4 note melody played over top of it); it would work fine for a minute or so and then I'd hear a note hanging in the background. I was never able to pinpoint exactly what caused it, but I was usually nowhere near to sounding 12 simultaneous notes. I'm more of a live keyboard player, so I usually only attempt the simplest of the simple when it comes to sequencing, but I still had no problems tripping up the Minimax.

I even bought a MIDI patchbay (needed one anyhow) that has MIDI filtering and set it up to filter out everything but note data going to the Minimax (figuring maybe my controllers were sending the Minimax extraneous data that was confusing it), but that didn't do the trick either.

Makes me wonder what kind of testing Creamware did on these machines before plopping them onto the market. Because, like I said, it's not as if it takes a particularly complex or esoteric MIDI set-up to provoke stuck-note madness on a Minimax.

And yes, the Sonic-core support is poor to non-existent. The one response I've actually gotten out of all the several e-mails (and I do mean several) that I've sent to their support address came last week. It was Ralf directing me to the OS 2.00 download link. I wrote him write back informing him that I installed that OS a year ago when I bought the Minimax and that it definitely does not correct any of the stuck-note/polyphony problems. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Welcome the wonderfully frustrating world of ASB's, comrade Skylab. :wink:
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

kylie wrote:
Le Bone wrote:Altogether now:
sung to which tune? :D
For some reason I'm picturing it as a football chant performed by a big gang of angry-looking skinheads. :)
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Just as an update. I just got a reply from Ralf. It is not promising but at least it is an honest update/response for which I am grateful.

Hello Tony,

i talked with the developers about the expected efford to fix this bugs.
This would be a lot of work and currently we don't have the recources to take care in this, because we are working with full capacity at the new upcomming Scope XITE-1.
If this project is up and running we can consider to take care in the prodyssey software.

-------------------------------------------------
mit freundlichen Grüßen / kind regards

Ralf Bach

So it seems it may be considered after XITE-1. I for one think that the Prodyssey has just so much potential if they got the sound fixed and would consider contributing funds to get it fixed (ie funding forcing the "consider to take care in the prodyssey software" result).

What do others think? At the moment I have the ASB hardware controlling a Nord G2X engine to get the Odyssey sound I want. I would be alot happier if I could free up the Nord and have the ASB working as it should and would be worth a hundred pounds or so IMHO.

Or am I just a Dreamer?
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

Well this is a step, albeit a small one, in the right direction, in that: Ralf's actually given you a specific response to your question, he's acknowledged that there is a problem, and he's suggested that they'll at least consider fixing said problem at some unspecified point in the future.

Personally, I'd like to seem them tackle the stuck-note issue first, since that seems to be a common problem, to one degree or another, on all of the ASB's.

But I'd like to see the ring-mod sync issue, and any other Prodyssey-specific fixes, done as well since I'd very much like to have a Prodyssey at some point but wouldn't consider buying one in its current buggy incarnation.
skylab001

Post by skylab001 »

Well it is an honest response to whether or not they are going to update thier products, but a sad response at that.

well not to hi jack my thread back ;-) but I am curious if anybody who is updated thier minimax to firmware v2.0 can tell me what it says on the remote software where it says "version"------mine says 00000102 ----I need to know if this is v2.0

I got my activation for v 2.0 from ralf and installed it and my Minimax is now even sicker than it was, and is still displaying the same version number....so was I already on v2.0??

I told him I was having difficulty connecting the remote software to my minimax, it either didn't see it or it dropped the connection(even though it is always available in my Audio/midi prefs). I'm on a Mac OSX 10.4 and he said to use a PC, to do the firmware update. So I took it to my techs place who has a PC and we installed the firmware there, but it still says version 00000102.

Add to that, the remote software on my Mac will not see the unit at all. What is up with that? And now I'm getting more stuck notes and just all around funkyness, not to mention in all my presets were deleted and I can't upload anymore because I can't connect via my computer.

The jokes on me I guess, and the really, really sad thing is that the minimax sounds gorgeous and the controls are awesome. Now if only it worked.
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

I seem to remember the version # not changing in the software when I updated the OS (I can check for sure when I get home), I think I ended up doing it twice because I thought it hadn't worked the first time. But I don't think the number ever changed.

Supposedly the 'Overload' LED on the Minimax will only light up (in response to switching 'Feedback' on, and cranking the 'External Input Volume' knob) after OS 2.00 has been installed. Mine did light up, so I assumed the OS had installed correctly despite the lack of numerical feedback in the software.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Le Bone wrote:
What do others think? At the moment I have the ASB hardware controlling a Nord G2X engine to get the Odyssey sound I want. I would be alot happier if I could free up the Nord and have the ASB working as it should and would be worth a hundred pounds or so IMHO.

Or am I just a Dreamer?
I've decided to sell my Prodyssey :( It obviously looks as if there will be no future support for the ASB line... very, very sad state of affairs!

I won't be supporting any new hardware from Sonic core, as I just can't trust them anymore.

Le Bone, I'll also be sticking to the G2 Engine - I've found it to be way more reliable and useful.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

andyr1960 wrote:
Le Bone wrote:

Or am I just a Dreamer?
I've decided to sell my Prodyssey :( It obviously looks as if there will be no future support for the ASB line... very, very sad state of affairs!

I won't be supporting any new hardware from Sonic core, as I just can't trust them anymore.

Le Bone, I'll also be sticking to the G2 Engine - I've found it to be way more reliable and useful.
Andyr1960 - I would wait for a couple of months. If it is fixed it will be stunning. If not then mine will also be going on ebay as it is just wasting deskspace. After the initial response from Ralf I also had the following email which elaborates a little more. At least Ralf is trying to be helpful and honest and the communication is flowing. That has to be a good sign!

Hello Tony,

thank you for your considered answer.
Currently i have no more information, but i will forward your suggestion to the managing directors.
Maybe we can take care in the future and i think, we should stay confident.

-------------------------------------------------
mit freundlichen Grüßen / kind regards

Ralf Bach

Tony Manley schrieb:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Many thanks for the feedback which I appreciate.
>
> This means that the Prodyssey may never be fixed. This is a real shame
> as it has a lot of potential.
>
> Once the Scope XITE-1 project is finished would it help if other
> Prodyssey users contributed money towards getting this fixed? Would
> this push these fixes higher up the queue?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tony
garyb

Post by garyb »

skylab001, it sounds like the update didn't work. try again.

from what i've seen, the Minimax should be quite useable.

as to the old firmware and new stickers, did you buy the unit directly from S/C? i suspect you distributor may have put new stickers on old units themselves. afaik, there were ZERO old units at S/C when the takeover occured and S/C has since made new units, but as i said, i could be wrong.....
meyersaxel

Post by meyersaxel »

hi there,

after reading all your angry postings about the CREAMWARE/ Sonic-Core - Products, I think there should be some positive vibrations in this thread too.

M Y first thoughts about the MINIMAX, which was the first of two ASB-Boxes that I bought, came across after having listened to the Factory-Presets and editing some of the patches which are in the memory (I don't know the words anymore but translated into the English language maybew "Oh my God!!"). The softwarebugs came to my view after two weeks or so. By the way - I got the software-key for the Software after one day (Minimax) and the other key was delivered after two days (PRO 12).

My recommendation according to the polyphonic patches in the MINIMAX is that those should be played with five voices max. and the polyphonic patches in the PRO 12 aren't problematic, because the voicestealing-functions are much better than the polyophonic-management in the MINIMAX.

I have to confess that I do not use the Boxes in a studio (not up to now) and always play (only) one of the boxes at a time on stage. The MINIMAX and also the PRO 12 on the other hand are great machines, which can thicken the Keysounds on stage pretty much. Compared to the other analogue or VA-Machines that I use (Matrix-1000, 2 x PLG-150 via MOTIF-ES, Virus-Rack), these two boxes deliver a sound-quality which I did not think of until I had the them.

To be honest, I am not as angry as you seem to be about these boxes or CREAMWARE/ SONIC-CORE - although I did not get the Software for the PRO-12 running up to now. It might be a problem with my computer but it's ok for me, because I do not have to use an editor-software in a live-situation.

regards
meyersaxel
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

meyersaxel wrote:hi there,

after reading all your angry postings about the CREAMWARE/ Sonic-Core - Products, I think there should be some positive vibrations in this thread too.

M Y first thoughts about the MINIMAX, which was the first of two ASB-Boxes that I bought, came across after having listened to the Factory-Presets and editing some of the patches which are in the memory (I don't know the words anymore but translated into the English language maybew "Oh my God!!"). The softwarebugs came to my view after two weeks or so. By the way - I got the software-key for the Software after one day (Minimax) and the other key was delivered after two days (PRO 12).

My recommendation according to the polyphonic patches in the MINIMAX is that those should be played with five voices max. and the polyphonic patches in the PRO 12 aren't problematic, because the voicestealing-functions are much better than the polyophonic-management in the MINIMAX.

I have to confess that I do not use the Boxes in a studio (not up to now) and always play (only) one of the boxes at a time on stage. The MINIMAX and also the PRO 12 on the other hand are great machines, which can thicken the Keysounds on stage pretty much. Compared to the other analogue or VA-Machines that I use (Matrix-1000, 2 x PLG-150 via MOTIF-ES, Virus-Rack), these two boxes deliver a sound-quality which I did not think of until I had the them.

To be honest, I am not as angry as you seem to be about these boxes or CREAMWARE/ SONIC-CORE - although I did not get the Software for the PRO-12 running up to now. It might be a problem with my computer but it's ok for me, because I do not have to use an editor-software in a live-situation.

regards
meyersaxel

I played a lot on my minimax the last three weeks since I got it. In fact I played it everyday.
The sound , build in effects, memory and interface is greater then I expected for this price.
For me the bugs is microscopic and not annoying at all. Perhaps I was just very lucky? The only bug is 6 and not 12 voices.

Kjell
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

People aren't angry because the Minimaxes (or other ASB's) are completely unusable. Obviously those of us who didn't immediately return them or sell them on have managed to find uses for them.

People are angry, firstly, because an instrument that has only 6 or possibly 5 consistently usable voices ought not to be advertised as having 12 (this is false advertising; it is unethical, and in certain scenarios --though I haven't the expertise to speak definitively in this particular instance-- it is also illegal.) Secondly people are annoyed at the support, or complete lack thereof, from Creamware/Sonic-core. They've rarely responded to a consistent stream e-mails from many people here regarding the various bugs, and when they do respond it doesn't produce any usable solutions. No firmware upgrades since 2006, and there aren't any on the horizon.

Certainly, it's nice for you that you're able to use the ASB's in such a manner that the bugs don't really effect you. But that isn't the case for all of us.

The bugs are real, they are a significant hurdle to using these synths in certain ways that you ought to be able to use any modern synth (certainly one that costs as much money as the ASB's do), and Sonic-core doesn't seem to have much interest in fixing them.

At the very least they should stop advertising inaccurate voice-counts, or put a caveat in their advertising making it obvious that the 12 voices are only usable in very specific, narrow circumstances. But perhaps even the few minutes it would take to make their ad copy truthful and precise is too much additional work for Sonic-core to put into the ASB's.
kjellg

Post by kjellg »

I,m agree with your critics against the companys lack of customer suport
and very misleading 12voices advertsiment.

It seems that I was just lucky(so far at least) and got a instrument with all its functions intact eksept from the voice problem.(not a big deal for me anyway, but thats me)
Still I would feel safer if the company could listen very careful to the customers feedback and stay behind their products.

Sonic Core have a lesson to learn in this area and a very good example in the synthesizer business is the american company Synthesizers.com
(www.synthesizers.com)
They live up to their reputation for excellent products and customer support. I know this from my own personal experience(I bought a modular synth last year). If you send a them a email, they guarante to reply within 24 hours and so they do.

Just my 2 cents....

Kjell
astroman

Post by astroman »

how much did you pay for that modular - if you don't mind to publish ?

a lot of ASBs out there are bargain and sellout machines, plus a ton from eBay
when Creamware had financial problems the legal administrator of the assets forced them to shell out whatever was on the shelfs...

that's the other side of the 'support' coin - which does not mean I suppose anyone who complains about his or her case to be among that group of occasion buyers

it's just a general remark, supported by statistics... ;)

cheers, Tom
kjellg, I really liked your playing, in particular that you change (a lot of) sounds by hand via dialing, instead of just recalling a preset :)
pricklyrobot

Post by pricklyrobot »

astroman wrote:a lot of ASBs out there are bargain and sellout machines, plus a ton from eBay
when Creamware had financial problems the legal administrator of the assets forced them to shell out whatever was on the shelfs...

that's the other side of the 'support' coin - which does not mean I suppose anyone who complains about his or her case to be among that group of occasion buyers
Meaning what, that if you got your ASB at a discounted price you don't deserve support?

The lowest price I ever saw for new Minimax ASB's here in the U.S. was $600 (that's only $200 less than new ones sell for now, and it's hardly pocket change in either case).

Not to mention that the new ones, which they're charging full price for now, are running the exact same OS. So it's not as if they work any better than the older ones that may have been sold at a discount.

Perhaps I misunderstand the point you're trying to make.